The cake war

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I don't think I posted this cause its just deja vu junk in the broom closet, but, two brooms called me last week and wanted to know when we were celebrating Wee's birthday because she was bringing a cake.

(to recap and for newbies, she always bought cakes for her kids and gradkid's birthdays. They look pretty, but my crew doesn't eat them. In my home, before the Brooms, I had always let the kids pick their cake (often from the Wilton magazine), which has almost always been homemade, and if so, they can help make it. Don't think I've ever had a request for a store cake. So when husband and I got together, the big boys were teenagers, and I continued to let the kids chose their cake. Then, of course, cgfg wanted to pick her own cake. And then, naturally, two brooms and I butted heads, because she wasn't about to give up her tradition of buying a grocery store cake. The kids almost always would chose a homemade cake - cgfg even asked for a cake baked in a dutch oven last year - without even frosting! In the past, I tried to ask two brooms not to buy another cake, and get something else instead, but she insists on the cake, and even when we've had the other homemade cakes that the kids requested, she brings the grocery store cake, anyway. Last year, Wee didn't even want a cake. I took the cake she brought to work uncut, and the people at work ate it while Wee and I were in California.)

I made no attempt to fight this year. Its a stupid, pointless arguement. I told her I'd let her know at least 2 days in advance so she could get the cake.

I called her 2 days in advance to tell her when and where we were having Wee's birthday dinner. He wanted me to make a cake that looked like legos (made from cakes baked in a loaf pan and small cupcakes). I said no because grandma two brooms was bringing a cake.

Guess what?

No cake.

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
WHY does this not surprise me?!

ARRRRRGGGHHHHHH mothers in law, I swear, I just can't put the words here because they'd get censored out!!!

So... When you come to Ohio to visit (with Wee), let me know in advance what he would like... I LOVE to make cakes... from scratch!!! (OK, they're not pretty, but they taste good.)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am ready to pack up my bags and run away SOMEWHERE. Ohio is as good as anywhere.

The whole cake thing is just stupid, so I wasn't going to fight over it anymore. This is the 6th year. I get it. mother in law brings the cakes. I'm not trying to do anything sensible anymore. So I bow down and accept the cake. And then she doesn't bring it.

I am making whatever cake the kids want from now on, regardless of what she says she is or isn't bringing.

There was plenty more broom drama, too. I hate broom drama.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...Ya know... I so want to say, "then sweep her out"... Snicker... But I know you can't just do that!!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The lego cake was really cute. His friend had one at his birthday party. And easy to make.

I am ready to sweep them out. All of them.

They then proceeded to make spring break plans for cgfg for when we have her (except, we already HAVE plans - but they didn't bother to ask - they made plans with cgfg). The only thing Two Brooms said directly to Wee all night was when he got the bag with the candles and light in it (he was with me when I bought them) she said "You sure are nosey.". And as we were leaving the restaraunt, the owner commented that my ankle was doing well and asked me a few questions. After answering 2, husband jumped in with his ankle injury and I answered no more...

yeah, I need a fallout shelter today to lock myself in, cause I've about had it with people... The cake was really just the 'icing on the cake'. lol

muttmeister

Just accept her cake, smile and say thank you, and when she's gone take it, not unwrapped, to the nearest food pantry, homeless shelter, etc.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Don't feel too bad... mother in law makes fruitcakes every year.

I normally love fruitcake.

But she puts ham in them.

I also normally love ham.

The birds won't even eat them...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
mutt, the thing is, this year, I DID! I didn't say a word about the cake. I didn't say "we already have cake" or "he wants a lego cake" or ANYTHING! I accepted that she was bringing her cake. I did as I was told, gave her 2 days notice, as requested, so she could order said cake, I told Wee he was getting a grandma two brooms cake, and then? NO CAKE!

I so quit. (really, I want to. I've had it with them all right now.)

Step, that sounds like one bad fruit cake. And um, how does ham fit into a fruitcake?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Step, that sounds like one bad fruit cake. And um, how does ham fit into a fruitcake?

Trust me, it doesn't really. mother in law isn't exactly a great cook. Her mother was, and fed husband all the time when he was in the Marines. husband jokes that he learned to cook out of self defense... father in law doesn't cook well, either. (husband must have been in heaven the first time I cooked for him... Jett has told me that BM doesn't cook well, either, unless it's ramen (ugh)... LOL!)

My Grandma used to make a fruitcake I loved. I made one 2 Christmases ago... Soaked in boiled rum... Oooohhh. mother in law thought it was "too sweet"...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oven space.... lol

Maybe you shoud have her send the recipe to Two Brooms. Seems like a perfect match.

(tho I must admit, two brooms is an awesome cook)

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think horses like store-bought cake......I'd take pictures of the kids feeding it to their ponies, put it in their scrap books and exclaim in the corner - EVERYONE LOVES GRAMMAS STORE-BOUGHT CAKES!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Um. Considering you gave her the name Two Brooms, I'm suspecting the mother in law loving part is a stretch...
Just guessing, tho.
(and, by the way, that name has been such a valuable tool in dealing with her. I am forever in your debt.)