The Circle of Life in my House!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Only me! duh... well we have to have our debugged, sorry bug lovers. But we have scorpions and tarantulas in the house and N has so much anxiety.

So the guys put those stickytraps in the garage. I threw them all away. Because I did not want the lizards or snakes to get stuck. The pest stuff is only supposed to kill the crickets in and around the house and not affect the reptiles. It will just make them have to look elsewhere for bugs.

I was in the garage this morning and was looking for something... I see one of the sticky traps. I go to grab it to throw it away! There is a tail sticking out... crud.
There is a snake in it and a lizard. I had already had to save a skink when they first put them down! We saved it and put him in our reptile tank for 2 days and then released him.

It is another skink and a really pretty black and yellow gopher snake. I have to get the dawn soap and fill the sink a bit. Soak the box with water rub them with dawn. Cut the dumb box off as much as possible without pulling. This took over an 1 1/2. But I got it off of both of them.
The gopher snake was pretty small about a foot. Lizard about 6 inches.
Well we have to keep them for a couple of days so they can rub the rest of the glue off, they can't really get around and the fine sand in the tank helps them rub it off.
We only have one tank, I am thinking, the snake is small, lizard is big.... all will be OK????

The girls are SO excited, they love this stuff.
I am getting them dressed. I walk out to check on Gary the Gopher Snake...
He has encircled Skittles the Skink and is constricting him!!!

I am thinking, how COOL!!! But OH CR@P!!! The girls might freak.
Here I saved the poor guy only to throw him to his demise!
The snake is just going to town...
So I am just playing it cool. Grandpa comes to get the girls, they are going for a sleepover.
I am trying to hurry it along!
See ya guys later, love ya!
K goes over to say good bye to Gary and Skittles and to show Papa...
"MOM, I think he is eating Skittles!!!"
"WOW"
They actually thought it was pretty cool, N was a little freaked. K watched the whole thing, he swallowed that poor guy right down!
So, I explained life and how this is just how the snake lives and how he stays strong... that is what he eats. Mice, birds eggs etc.

I told her she can tell the kids at school all about it!!! K loved it!!!
Gary is lying under his little sun lap fat and happy! We will let him digest for a few days and then release him.
Good job mom... I felt like such a dork at first!!! Well I am still a dork, no not a SPORK.

Last edited:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Please to order and send (RUSH DELIVERY) to SC

One Rosy Haired tarantula

I hate to tell you this about those little crickets - but if they are Mormon Crickets (ABSOLUTELY NO REFERENCE TO RELIGION HERE FOLKS) they are destructive as all get out. About 2 years ago they overtook a small town in Utah and I mean OVER took - it was on a show called SWARM. For real - no horror movie kidding aside - they are awful and aggressive.

Cool science lesson about the lizard and the snake. Make sure he has a pan with water in it to go soak in.....they like that after they feed.

Okay dokay - So Granpa is being a granpa huh? Bueno! Amiga -

totoro

Check! Tarantula in the mail with crickets...We have water... growing up with 2 brothers and one adopted dad... lots of snakes in house! We had boas, pythons, iguanas etc... many neighborhood snakes!

This is husband's parents... but my Dad is still trying to be Grandpa and Dad... he is writing me everyday. He sent me photos of him and the girls, I will see if I can post them.

Jena

ok i read that post and laughed the entire time. you are soo funny.....you went to such lengths to clean them off. then only to have "national geographic" going on outside lol. i'm so glad that the kids didn't freak. :)

Lothlorien

Ick....I can't even read the entire thread.....my skin is just crawling and I'm not going to be able to sleep now!

I hate creepy crawlers!

totoro

So the kids are gone for the night, so me and Gary have been *cuddling*... he is pretty cool. I wont keep him but I like having reptiles around. He gets in his strike pose and rattles his little tail. So sweet!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Toto, suffice it to say that I wouldn't get within 100 yards of your house. (No offense.) Maybe the next closest city.

If I found a snake in my house I'd probably go instantly into heart failure. I'd just probably pour some gasoline aound the edges of the house and get rid of the bugger.

I don't come up with the best solutions some times.

Abbey

DammitJanet

I read this thread to husband and said...ok ...here is the woman for you! I am with Abbey on burning the house down to rid it of snakes...in fact I almost did that one time...lol.

My boys, on the other hand, would love to have them. Now I dont mind iguana's. We have one now that is about 3 feet or so named Corporal Iggy and we used to have a four and a half foot long female named Shequana. Our old one was the best social worker preventative I ever saw. She had the run of the house and would lay up on the top of curtain rods and when someone came to the door she would slowly turn her head and flip that tail...scared folks to death...lmao. She would also crawl into bed with us in the middle of the night so we would end up waking up in the morning with this lizard staring at us...lol.

But snakes? No way!

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH TOTO!!!!!!!! GARY IS GEORGEOUS!!!!!!!

And do me a favor - I have the cage and all ready for the Tarantula - but it's been YEARS since I played a GOOD trick on DF - could you put HIS name on the package?

(insert totally evil laugh)

OH.....and a roll of toilet paper too.....just in case.

I looked at the Rosey's today and DF said it wouldn't bother him - so send away.

(takes Gary~~~~~~~~~~~~{:}>----< and runs with him sooooo pretty)