The difficult child journal saved us

crazymama30

For about 2 years or so I have kept a journal of difficult child and his behaviors. I just cannot track his behaviors/cycling without having it in writing. We saw psychiatrist yesterday, and difficult child has been doing well for about a week, but before that we had a bad 3-4 weeks. My thyroid is low, so I am not very with it. psychiatrist wanted to increase the stimulant, which made me leery. He seemed to think that I thought that the 200mg of Lamictal activated difficult child. He was the one who thought that, not me. I forgot my journal, so he asked that I email him some info out of it. I created a nice timeline going back to May of last year. Got an e-mail back, keep daytrana the same and go back up to 200mg of Lamictal. That is really what I wanted in the first place, but I was so tired and my thoughts were moving like molasses yesterday, so I could not have told you that yesterday. Thankfully today is better. I am so glad that we went up on Lamictal and kept stimulant the same. I think we may be headed in the right direction. psychiatrist does not want to go to an antipsychotic yet, as they can be so sedating. We may end up at that route, but so far difficult child is doing better than he has in the past. He has not had any acts of violence at school yet that caused anyone harm, has been good in academic classrooms. He has problems in PE, music and recess. We have our ups and downs, and hopefully we are in an upward trend, not just headed up and then will be headed down. I guess I will just hang on for the ride and try to steer as best I can.

house of cards

I'm glad you have been heard in whatever form it takes. I'm also impressed that your psychiatrist would ask for and take the time to read your journal. What info do you typically put in it? I hope it is enough to bring back basic stability.

Pookybear66

Crazymama-
I am fairly new here so I don't know much about your drama but this sounds like a good step in the right direction. Best wishes for you and your family.

TerryJ2

That is fantastic, on both your parts. Way To Go.
I should be doing that, too ... I think this bb is my journal ...

Marguerite

Keeping a diary on your child is invaluable. Vital. It also saves conserves your limited mental capacity so you can use it to better effect and not have to squander it on memorising all the tiny little details of your child's issues.

Putting it in writing is very freeing.

Marg

crazymama30

I usually just try to do a quick summary of difficult child's day, and how it went. I try to include any highs or lows or if we went and did anything that day or if we just stayed home. I also keep a record of all the medications he has been on, what doses, and when things change.

Marg, lately I think I have the mental capacity of a flea. Just not so hot lately. If I did not write things down, they just would not happen.