The dog ate difficult child's Valentine's candy

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by TerryJ2, Feb 14, 2012.

  1. TerryJ2

    TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

    Yesterday, I offered to take difficult child to the store to buy his girlfriend a card.
    "NO!" (Gosh, I hate it when he shouts like that.)
    "Valentine's day is tomorrow."
    "I don't care. I'll make one tonight."
    "You will forget and then you'll do it at the last min and you'll be grumpy and blame it on me."
    "It's so nice that you have so much confidence in me."

    So, who never got around to making the card? :sigh:

    I put a little bag of chocolates and a card on the kitchen table this a.m. for difficult child. He opened the card and never said a word. I asked him if he wanted to take the chocolates to school for his girlfriend.
    "NO!"
    "If you ever want to make a girlfriend mad, just forget to give her something for Valentine's Day, honey."
    "I already gave her something!"
    :sigh:
    It's got to be on the day of the holiday ... but he'll learn the hard way.

    "difficult child is going to come home in a horrible mood," said husband after difficult child got the bus, "because he didn't give his girlfriend a card or gift, and it will be our fault."

    So, after teaching my watercolor class this a.m., I walked in to the house to find the chocolate bag torn to shreds and the golden hiding behind the door. :sigh: I am cooking rice right now because he ate every. Single. One. And the wrappers.
    So even if difficult child changes his mind, he won't have a gift to fall back on for his girlfriend.
    :hamwheelsmilf:
     
  2. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    Dog ate chocolate? Dog needs to go to VET. Chocolate is poisonous to dogs...
     
  3. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    I know that chocolate can be poison for dogs but our boxer, Logan, ate a complete box of expensive chocolate candy...with almonds, no less...and didn't display one sign of abnormality. I called the Vet and was told "keep him under observation and call if there's any sign of trouble". He ate his dinner as usual, pottied as usual, drank as usual, played as usual and slept normally.

    Is rice suppose to be helpful? DDD
     
  4. TerryJ2

    TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

    Oh, he's done this before. (The dog and the kid.)
    It was not dark chocolate. Just as well, since difficult child isn't supposed to have "milk" chocolate anyway. :sigh:

    If it were dark chocolate, and he were thin, I'd be on my way to the vet. It happened with-one of my borzoi, but it turned out we had some peroxide and husband gave it to her and made her throw up. (She avoided him for a mo. after that!).

    Yes, rice helps with-diarrhea. Which is what the dog will have ... soon ...
     
  5. Bunny

    Bunny Guest

    Ugh!! I'm sorry about the dog and I hope he doesn't make too much of a mess. And I hope that difficult child does not come home in a mood and blame you for it. If he wants a girlfriend he's going to have to learn to remember Valentine's Day - even if he has to learn that lesson the hard way.
     
  6. donna723

    donna723 Well-Known Member

    Some dogs are very sensitive to chocolate and some aren't but any time a dog eats more than just a little chocolate, it's considered an emergency situation and a quick trip to the vet is in order. It can be very toxic to dogs and even if he didn't react last time doesn't mean that he won't the next time. If this happened this morning he's probably OK so far but if there's a next time, give him hydrogen peroxide, a few tablespoons at a time, until he throws up. Messy but it works. I'd be very concerned about him eating those wrappers too! Were they the foil type? Dogs can easily get intestinal blockages that can be a very serious situation that requires surgery. Rice is good to give for upset stomachs but if they eat something they shouldn't have like this, I'd give them several slices of plain white bread to eat. It forms a big wad in their stomach and intestines and can help to push the "whatever-it-is" on through with it. I'd keep a good close eye on him for several days though.
     
  7. DaisyFace

    DaisyFace Love me...Love me not

    Ugh!

    Typical difficult child...

    "Why would she be mad just because I didn't get her something for Valentine's Day? She should love me anyway.."

    Hopefully - he will learn from this episode.

    (Sorry about the dog)
     
  8. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I have a 4 to 5 pound full blooded havanese dog. Not a mutt. This dog can eat anything. I cant tell you how many bags of Hersey's kisses, M&M's, boxes of candy, and even licked up some roach gel we put down and he is still alive and kicking!
     
  9. TerryJ2

    TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

    Well, both difficult child and the dog are alive and kicking.

    difficult child called me yesterday, shouting over my cell phone that he needed to run out and buy a gift for his girlfriend.
    Ohhhh, yeah, like I'm going to cave to that one ...
    I don't think he has learned a d*** thing. :sochildish:
     
Loading...