The end came last night

tiredmommy

Last night, husband's eldest brother and wife finally made it to see mother in law. "D" has been somewhat estranged and visited sporadically at best, his wife has not been to a family event in more than 5 years. husband's younger brother, "P", came in from NC around 4:30PM. Her former daughter in law, whom she loved greatly, had visited in the morning. Duckie and I returned from her rehearsal at 9:10PM, while husband's older sister was directing their younger developmentally disabled to tell her Mom she would be okay. She passed peacefully at 9:15PM, surrounded by love from her family.

slsh

member since 1999
TM - I'm so sorry, but also so glad that the family was with her and that she passed peacefully. Your family, husband especially, will be in my thoughts.

trinityroyal

TM, I am so very sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences to you and your family. I am glad that your mother in law passed peacefully, surrounded by loved ones. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm so very sorry for your loss TM. I'm glad it was peaceful and she was surrounded by the love of family.

((((hugs))))

donna723

I'm so sorry for your loss, TM. But I'm glad that she was surrounded by a loving family when she passed. Hugs and prayers for your family.

tiredmommy

Duckie is doing remarkably well. She picked up her viola and "played out" her grandmother at the end (Ode to Joy, no less), has worked extensively on a slide show of her grandmother, will play viola for the mourners as they enter for the funeral and even offered to read a poem if no one else feels comfortable. She's been just outstanding and I'm incredibly proud of my girl.

TM,

I'm so sorry for your loss... I'm glad your mother in law was at peace, surrounded by love... I'm keeping your family in my prayers... Hugs... SFR

P.S. This board "auntie" is extremely proud of Duckie too. Working so hard on the slideshow and playing the viola as mourners enter the church is so touching, such a beautiful way to remember her grandmother... I love the idea of her reading a poem too. Duckie's strength, ability to cope, and reach out to help others at this very sad time is just amazing...

tiredmommy

Thank you, everyone. I had been quite concerned about Duckie's emotional state and stress level the last several days of school. She developed a coughing tic (way different than her asthma cough) so we backed away from seeing Grandma so much. Once her end of school stuff (recital,DARE graduation, poetry reading, 5th grade graduation, dance banquet and her end of year pool party) was done, she threw herself back into the extended family. I think my sister in law may have been annoyed with me (but didn't say anything) but I had to let Duckie experience these childhood touchstones. And my mother in law held on for all this stuff to occur, for which I am thankful.