The Energy Drink Conversation

klmno

difficult child: Mom, could I have an energy drink?

ME: :rofl: No, son.

difficult child: Why?

ME: Because you don't need one and they are not good for you.

difficult child: But I know other people who drink them so why can't I have one?

ME: They are especially not good for YOU - that would be like a diabetic eating a pound of sugar candy.

difficult child: Well, if the diabetic really wanted to eat sweets and did, then had a reaction, couldn't they just go to a hospital and get their system straightened out again?

ME: Ok, difficult child. If you were going to drink energy drinks, it would have to be sitting in the car in the parking lot of the acute psychiatric hospital because that is where I would drive you so all I would have to do afterwards is walk you straight in and drop you off for a week's stay. Now, is it worth that to you?

difficult child (later): Well, I did get one from a friend once and drank it and it didn't make me CRASH. :surprise:

ME: :slap: :rolleyes:

I'm going to really have to watch this kid for temptations towards substance abuse in the future...

:future:

M

ML

Same here. My difficult child has reactions to many things one of which is corn. Yes, it's in everything and he is always dealing with allergic symptoms. But if he eats actual corn he gets hives. So "mom why can't I have popcorn" followed witih "I can just take a clariton and my inhaler afterwards" etc. It is like keeping an alkie away from booze to keep him away from things with sugar. So I'm with you on fears of substance abuse down the line. This parenting difficult child stuff is not for the faint of heart. Hang tough sister. Hugs ML

witzend

There's a lot of evidence that "energy drinks" are pretty bad for even healthy people. Plenty of sleep, water, and a good diet will do wonders. There is no quick fix.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
this post made me chuckle. A few weeks ago on one og difficult child II"s many trips to the nurse (he hates school). He told the nurse he was sick because I gave him 6 energy drinks for breakfast. She called me to tell me how bad energy drinks were for kids, I was like I know, that's why I do not buy them LOL