The Explosive Child!!

mandy615

I am halfway through The Explosive Child. I bought it today after an explosive morning. Everything the author says is true. I KNEW the KABOOM was about to happen and there it was. So while reading the examples I practiced what I'll say for certain triggers. Then this afternoon I mentioned homework and I could tell the explosion was close. So I started Plan B and there was NO explosion, he did his homework without a peep. So this certainly is worth a shot. If you haven't read this book and you have an Explosive Child, then I highly reccommend it.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Glad it is helping you! Many of us here really like this book. I know for me it has been very helpful.

Marguerite

You're finding what I found - simply while I was reading the book brought improvements for us, because I was unconsciously putting it into practice. Then when I got to it in earnest...

There are others on this site for whom this does not work as well, in some cases not at all. However, I think anything that brings improvement for some has got to be at least worth a look in case you're one of the lucky ones.

The other thing - this doesn't cure whatever is wrong. All it does it give you a different way in which to interact with the person. This can sometimes make it easier for them to deal with their own issues, so the benefits can snowball.

here's hoping you snowball!

Marg

nvts

Hey Mandi! Don't you love the examples? I swear he was writing half of that stuff from my living room!

One of the best moments that I've had was with difficult child 1 when he said to me "Mom. You want this and I want that, now isn't there some way that we can both be a little bit happy?".

The little bugger! He figured out at 6 that turnabout is fair play! But it was great that he wanted to work it out rather than blow up about getting his way.

The victories are few and far between, but boy, are they sweet!!

Beth

TerryJ2

Wow, Way To Go, Mandy!
And if Plan B doesn't work, just whale the book at his head.
Just kidding. :smile:
Really, I have found this book to be VERY helpful.

4sumrzn

I must agree. I am almost finished with the book & believe it will be very helpful when my difficult child is able to communicate better. I am hopeful at some point I will be able to use the method.....even though I like TerryJ2's idea :nonono:

mandy615

LOL! No, no whaling with the book! As fun as it sounds, there is to be NO whaling with the book! :thumb:
I know it's not THE answer but it's certainly the answer right now.