The flippin' fever is back

F

flutterbee

So, I'm assuming that means the flare is back. I had, what, 2 weeks off? Friday was a wonderful day. I almost felt normal again.

And my teeth are hurting. Bottom 3 on the right side. This has been going on and off for almost 2 years. Dentist has x-rayed the heck out of them and there is nothing wrong with my teeth. Then last night, it really started hurting in my jaw, in my neck at my jawline, and in my ear. That's also the side where I have the swollen parotid gland (inside of my cheek). So, I looked it up and where I'm hurting is about where the parotid gland is and the facial nerve runs through it.

And all I want to do is sleep. But, I can't get comfortable because I hurt.

I see my GP tomorrow. I'm so annoyed. I'm so over this. :mad::mad::mad:

Marguerite

Let the GP handle it for now. I agree that this is frustrating, especially when there aren't any answers.

It does sound to me that this is neurological, even if it has begun with an infection which has caused swelling in either the salivary gland or the sinus spaces somewhere and thereby putting pressure in the facial nerve 'feeding' those teeth. But there's not much you can do other than bring down that swelling. Or wait.

Talk to your GP about symptomatic relief. Sometimes doctors forget to help us with symptoms, they're too curious about finding out what it is. So make a point of reminding the doctor, you're in pain and not functioning well because of the symptoms.

I'm thinking, aside from pain killers, either cold packs or hot packs would be worth checking out.

Ask.

In the meantime, put a cold pack in the freezer. Just in case tat's what is prescribed.

If the doctor suggests a hot pack instead, you can make a quick easy one with a wet, wrung-out hand towel placed inside one of those crinkly plastic shopping bags (freezer bag plastic) and microwaved until hot. As it cools, microwave it again. I've found this is better than wheat packs. It's also faster than just about anything else, it only takes about 2 minutes at most.

Marg

Jena

Heather i'm so sorry your uncomfortable again and with a fever. Can you take something just like advil?? just to bring the fever done and calm the mouth?? so you can get some rest??

F

flutterbee

Marg - I do have some neurological stuff going on. However, Sjogren's Syndrome is suspected with me and parotid gland enlargement can come with that. Actually, if it turns out to be parotid gland like I think, it just strengthens the suspicion. Unfortunately, I'm already taking the medications that would be used to treat it - before getting into the more 'hard core' medications (immunosuppressants and Anti-TNF inhibitors), and their effectiveness at treating Sjogren's is not well known.

Marg & Jen - My doctor does do symptom mgmt. Unfortunately, most NSAID's (advil, naprosyn, voltaren, mobic) are like eating candy for me. I've found toradol that works, but you can only take it for 5 days. Although, I had some left because I was supposed to take 4 a day for 5 days, but since it made me sleep so much, I never got more than 3 doses a day. So, I've taken one at night for the last couple of nights.

I didn't think about ice, Marg. I don't know why. I use ice for everything else. I have a reusable ice pack in the freezer at all times.

On one hand, if it is the parotid it's a relief. Since my teeth are ok, I was thinking that maybe my wisdom tooth (still have my bottom wisdom teeth) was pushing on my teeth causing the pain. And they way they came in, I would have to have oral surgery to take them out. And no one wants to do elective surgery because of my heart and my other health issues. I would have to get cleared by too many doctors. So, if it's the parotid, I don't have to deal with that.

Ah, well. Just more complaining from me. :whiteflag:

Andy

I am sorry! Have you ever heard of an over the counter medication called Orudis KT? It helps me when I have dental pain. I have used it many times for only dental pain. It will not heal, just eases the pain. I always have a difficult time finding it. I believe I have gotten it at Wal-Mart and Walgreens.

It may not help since whatever is going on seems to be connected with parotid gland but I thought I would brainstorm it.

F

flutterbee

I think Susiestar mentioned Orudis to me when I was going to ask my GP for toradol. I'll have to pick some up when I'm out tomorrow.

Thanks for reminding me, Andy.

tiredmommy

Heather,

I have bruxism (teeth grinding) and I went through a period of intense grinding just over a year ago and had the same problem with my facial nerve. The only thing that helped me was flexeril, a muscle relaxer.

About the fever... I also went through a bad flare several years back with my IBS (I understand that this isn't anywhere near as debilitating as the problems you are experiencing). I was miserable, though... constant exhaustion and cramping or chills and cramping. My blood work came back normal but my gastroenterologist decided to test me for h. pylori because my paternal grandmother had died from complications of stomach cancer. This bacteria is responsible for most stomach cancers.

I came back with a bacteria count of four times the amount considered to be at risk. I underwent a vigorous antibiotic treatment and the constant low grade fevers have pretty much stopped. Now it only happens when I'm coming down with another illness or infection. The treatment did exacerbate my base IBS symptoms for sometime... and I'm just recently beginning to get back to better health.

The point of this? There is probably an undetected infection causing your symptoms. I hope it can be discovered and eradicated very soon so you can reclaim your life.

F

flutterbee

TM - I remember when you had the bruxism and were in a lot of pain. I have flexeril, but I have to get up in the morning. It knocks me out - dead to the world.

To my knowledge, I haven't been tested for bacterial infections. I'll talk to my doctor about that. My white blood cell count always comes back slightly elevated, but nothing is ever said. One nurse told me it was the neutrophils (sp?), I *think* that were elevated and she said those are the ones that fight infection. I dunno. I also think an elevated WBC is pretty common with autoimmune diseases; fevers are common, too, from my understanding. A friend of mine has lupus and she runs a fever with her flares.

tiredmommy

I usually take one half or even a quarter tab of flexeril when the pain starts up.

I read a little about neutriphils; they are the most common type of white blood cells and the body uses them to generally fight bacteria.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm sorry you have a fever and are in so much pain-geez it could have taken a longer break! Flowers for you.:flowers:

F

flutterbee

TM, do you know where you read that? When I tried to look it up (and I think this was back in March), I only found really clinical information. IOW, I only understood about every 3 words. :tongue:

Thanks, Sharon. I love flowers. :D

You guys are awesome.

Lothlorien

I have a friend who has an autoimmune disorder with no known name or cause. It flares up every so often. I hate to say it, but you might just be one of those cases.

Has the doctor checked into sarcoidosis, yet?

F

flutterbee

I don't think anyone has considered sarcoidosis. Not to my knowledge anyway. I don't really fit the symptom profile from what I've read, but at this point I'd say anything is possible.

Hopefully, the insurance will approve the Cleveland Clinic and that will yield some answers.

KTMom91

Hope your GP has some answers and relief for you tomorrow. Sending some pain-free peaceful quiet and gentle hugs.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
When they get you all better, you should enroll in Medical School... You can be our Board Doctor!

I wish I could offer something. This is way out of my league...
Hoping for the Cleveland Clinic!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child 1 would run low-grade fevers when his Crohn's was flaring, along with an elevated WBC, SED rate and platelets. These autoimmune things really mess a lot of things up. Hope you get some relief soon!

F

flutterbee

My GP's office called and said they could just do the medication changes over the phone and they didn't need to see me. I told her about the pain in my jaw/neck and that I suspected it was the parotid gland. I did take 500mg naproxen last night and it did help. It doesn't work on anything else for me, but at least it helped that. She said to just continue that and if it doesn't get better or if it gets worse to come in. This is fine with me. We have a winter weather advisory and the already wet roads are going to start to freeze soon. I'd rather not be driving.

They are trying to change my cholesterol medication from Pravachol to Crestor; we have to get insurance authorization because there is no generic for Crestor. Even with doubling the Pravachol, my LDL didn't come down that much. Of course, it doesn't help that I hated taking the stuff because it made me feel so bad and I wasn't good about taking it. The Crestor is supposed to have a lower side effect profile - or at least less chance of the side effects that bother me - plus is better at lowering the LDL cholesterol.

The insurance company told them that it can take up to two weeks to get authorization for the referral to the Cleveland Clinic, but they said they don't think it will take that long. I'm hoping to know something by the end of the week. I've put off scheduling the salivary gland biopsy until I know if I'm going to get into the Cleveland Clinic.

In the meantime, I'm just going to freeze to death from this stupid fever.