The Four Agreements

witzend

I don't remember who recommended this book to me when I was having such a hard time with husband last month, but I wanted to say "thank you". I'm only about 4 chapters in to it, but what he is saying is making sense, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about what he has to say.

witzend

It's for anyone. So far what I'm reading, it's about being honest with yourself and not letting other people's ideas of what you should be rule your life. Sort of. It's difficult to explain.

One thing that he said that I found interesting, is that humans are the only species that feel guilt or remorse or regret for one transgression repeatedly throughout our lives. Everyone - even animals - makes mistakes and suffers punishment either from ourselves or from society, but we are the only beings that repeatedly live that mistake over and over in our heads and punish ourselves for them time and again which keeps us from learning from the experience and moving on.

klmno

That is interesting- I might look into that. It sounds like there is truth to the humans re-living things. I can believe that. My dogs know when they've done something wrong- but they don't get a complex over it- I guess they would if someone abused them. Maybe, as humans, we abuse ourselves.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Excellent book - and the others he has written are equally excellent. The author is Miguel Ruiz. Check out his books at Amazon. I recommend them to everyone. Both my girls have read The Four Agreements, easy child twice! There is a lot in there that will mean something to just about everyone.

susiestar

Roll With It
sounds like a neat book. But Witz, I have an oddball question. How do we KNOW that animals don't do this? We don't speak their language, we don't know a whole lot about many species, I just wonder??

Anyway, I think I will look this one up - I think maybe I need this kind of thing right now.

susie

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Glad its helping you.

Looking back on it, it seems like simple concepts, and it was a relatively easy read, but the impact it on how I viewed my own life was amazing.

I keep a copy to reread now and again.