The Good News Thread

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Dreamer had a great idea to start up a good news thread. I agree. With all of the neg stuff on the news and gfgdom in our lives it might do us all good to pick something each day that we feel is good news. Even if it is something rather small.

My good news contribution is that yesterday I had an anatomy exam. I wasn't sure I'd pass as I didn't feel so strong with the material and hadn't gotten much time over the weekend to study.

Well, I get to class only to discover something even worse! I'd studied the wrong material!! :highvoltage: Just my luck. So I figured this would be the test grade I'd get to toss out. But not good as it's the first big test of the quarter. ugh To make it worse, it was over the details of how nerve impulses work and are sent. Hard stuff and very confusing to begin with. I had it in biology last year.

So test in hand I decided I'd try prying biology learnin' and good ol' deduction and make my best effort.

I was sure I'd failed it. The only thing I felt confident in was the 4 extra credit questions because that was the material I'd studied. lol

He grades them right away. I nearly passed out when I read that I'd gotten a 73 on it. :irock:

Now for the good news.........

We get to take the test over again in the morning. He's putting the best grade into the grade book and tossing the other one. :musicdance:

And this time I've been studying. lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just the title of your THREAD made me smile -

THAT ALONE WAS THE BEST NEWS!!!!

okay and to contribue......

Today at work I identified a plant that the botanists at our local museum couldn't for a co-worker.

-made me feel pretty smart. And the man I identified it for is delighted as he feels that it is killing his lawn and invasive. Bad news is - now he's going to kill the vetch! lol (Common Vetch) was the weed/flower I identified.

dreamer

Wow, I had a hard time in A & P for nurseing school-BUT I had this awesome professor. She helped me a lot- personally...tutoring etc. I have gone back to visit her a few times. Good luck on your 2nd take.

I have good news, too- Kudos to give, (in addition the the Kudos yesterday to difficult children pervious psychiatrist and sons eye doctor)--- electric company came today to trim trees away from elec wires, and we had a large branch dangling but stuck since Oct just above my front yard glider. I could not reach it tobring it down, worried it might fall at a bad time. We asked the elec co guys to give it a pull and they did, so it is now no longer perilous. YAY! AND...... I had some confuseing weirdness going on with car insurance billing.....asked my agent at start of month to call me and let me know if I now had it correct.....well, she called today to let me know all is correct, now...(she has been my agent 30 years....but I got her via my parents, and I had never met her, so a few months ago I took a car ride to go meet her, LOL---becuz after all these years, she recognizes my voice, and I recognize hers) - anyway so she had not just given me lip service at start of month, she really HAD been watching my billing etc. and yes, I think both those things ARE "good news" People doing just that tiny little bit extra and not grumbling or anything, but actually being quite pleasant about it. YAY!

house of cards

My good news is my little one has qualified for the preschool disabled program and will get PT, Occupational Therapist (OT) and speech. I've registered my other little one for preschool as well...so I get free time soon, I am giddy with delight.

trinityroyal

Here's some good news, and from the local newspaper yet.

The headline reads: "Missing girl found safe"

The story mentions that the little girl was found alive and well and in good health, and that she was being kept in a nice clean apartment.

There's a picture of the little girl, wearing a cute little pink dress, smiling.

Such a nice change from the horror stories we hear all too often.

DammitJanet

I dont know if what I have to say is good news but it was a great experience I had today.

I was driving Billy to work on the interstate...a Ford Explorer passed me and I noticed it had all these hand written words on the side panels but I couldnt read them clearly. Then she pulled in front of me and I saw....USMC and semper fi wrote on the back window. She got off at the same exit as I take and I followed her into the gas station. She had written "Welcome Home Company XXX and Lcpl XXX!"

I got up next to her at the gas station, rolled down my window and told her I, too, was a Marine Mom and to tell her son thanks for a job well done and welcome home. She was just so excited...lol. Her son had just landed in NC from Iraq. You could have lit up the east coast with her smile.

F

flutterbee

Wynter's new tutor came out today and she is awesome! She was really able to connect with Wynter. I may end up with a child that loves math!

Wiped Out

Staff member
The weather here was great today and believe me that is good news! It made it up to 72 degrees!
Also we had a part of difficult child's IEP and it went very well (will do a separate post in general) and that is even better than the good weather!

dreamer

OK, so, first I had an absolutely horrible experience with the Marine Corps League detachment I am part of, broke my heart becuz I was a charter member, firts aux pres, had to fall back when sons eye got hurt, but had recently rejoined, but today I quit, I was THAT frustrated (LONG story)
SO I was rather down, but also hopping mad.
But then I had Medical Reserve Corps tonite, another thing I am a volunteer in? OMG! I had the BEST experience EVER there tonite! ANd I think this is the ONLY thing in my life that is NOT directly related to mental illness, advocacy, my husband or my kids......and I absolutely loved my time there tonite! I was so impresed with my peers, and was open mouth wide eyed admireing them and, LOL- they were VERY complimentary to ME, too-----they made me group leader tonite......and spokesperson.....blew MY mind....and then after, a man tried to get me to sign up for paramedic classes with him, ROFLOL.
I joined this at end of last summer, and sure am glad I did.

Sooooo my good news is about "me" and it is that someone somewhere openly valued ME for ME. And it sure felt good!
ANd the drive home was very nice, too, no traffic at that time of nite, and stunning weather. absolutely gorgeous out. :)

For all the ups and downs of the day, it sure ended on a very nice note.

Josie

After 3 months of treatment for Lyme Disease, we are seeing improvement in my daughter. She still has a constant headache but her anxiety is almost gone and she doesn't rage any more. It looks like she will get better!

Mattsmom277

What a great topic for me to read this morning. I haven't had "positives" to add so have not been around. I couldnt' have uplifted a single soul on board here (but I faithfully read of all of you since I began OMG 9-10 years ago!).
My good news, difficult child is MUCH happier homeschooling (he's in grade 9 now) and NO defiance, NO disrespect. He tells me unabashadly I love you mom when he leaves the house or when he says good night at bed time. Some of you may remember his "hair" issues. LOOOOONG and NAPPY because due to some issues with skull formation he was obsessed his head was too big for his body and was convinced this mop of hair was his saving grace. So much hair I kid you not I haven't seen a full on face image of him for at least 4-5 years.
Drum roll please .... all on his own the other day he says "Mom, can I have some $$$". I said "What for?". He replies "I think I'll head up to that hairstyling place where you don't need an appointment, you can just walk in, and I'll get a haircut". I said NOTHING about what KIND of haircut. I believe it's what one calls "state of shock/awe/disbelief". I dashed to my wallet, handed him over the $$$ and he was out the door.
He came back in and after complimenting him on his hair (which he liked because he grinnned at the compliment) I went to the bathroom and cried. Happy mom tears. His hair was his tool of hiding from the world, a reflection of his personal shame and low self esteem, his cover. For years. It was never the hair (ugly as it was) that broke my mommy heart, it was the reason for the long nappy hair.
He now has a stylishly cut boys hair cut, a bit long (as in no clippers). But you can see his NECK . WOWSERS! and there isnt' a piece of hair long enough to cover any of his face. His gorgeous smile for the world to see, his green eyes are shining with his luscious long eye lashes girls go nuts over. I KNEW my son was handsome but who could tell under all of the hair and the hoodies he'd wear, hood up alll of the time.
He must have had over 9 inches cut off. He told me he feels good. I guess he is learning to love himself again, no need to hide from the world. He is coming out of a cacoon I watched him wallow in for years and years. His smile. Omg. His beautiful smile. I find myself just staring at his gorgeous handsome young man face.
I never knew a haircut could mean so much. I honestly think this is a bigger step for MY difficult child than even graduating high school or things of that enormity.
YAY difficult child!
Thank you all for sharing YOUR good stories!

Marguerite

This is great! I could sympathise with the anatomy exam, although it sounds more like physiology than anatomy.

And Star - did you know that vetch was often used in medieval times as a sample to draw, when doing illuminated manuscripts? All those curly, tendrilly bits around the initial letters...

Janet, good on you for encouraging the other Marine Mom. If I've got it right, the marines are often deployed in more sensitive areas because of their extra training - a worrying time for you.

Our good news - where do I start?

1) The local paper (for our large district south of Sydney) had an article in it TODAY about "The Black Balloon". It was written by one of the other mothers of the kids who were in the Noah's Ark segment, she also sent them a photo, "Local kids in feature film" - she had taken that photo when we all went to the birthday party of one of the kids. difficult child 3 is in the photo also, with four of the other performers. The article mentions the names of all the kids in our district who were in the film - of the 16 or so kids in the film, about 10 of them come from our area, mostly from difficult child 3's drama class.

2) difficult child 1 just got home (haven't seen him for a few days). I managed to get him some unpaid, "no-prospects-of-a-job-at-all" work experience in a carpentry firm. They'd already fobbed him off, because over the phone he didn't make a good impression (he's not good on the phone - clumsy and shy). And they liked him and how he worked so much that they've been giving him a week's trial, ON PAY! Today he rang me to get his tax file number (like a social security number) which told me they were putting him on the payroll. He has been driving a forklift, sanding down some wood, sweeping floors, moving large lumps of timber and thoroughly enjoying himself. Today he sanded the sharper edges of a block of wood and they told him to "take it home and give that bread board to your mother". It sounded like a really useful board, but he gave it to girlfriend instead. Frankly, I think she can put it to better use, I would have liked it but I certainly don't need it.

3) I took mother in law out to get blood tests done today, she bought me an early birthday present - a lovely Aussie-made alpaca wool throw rug. They were on special, cheaper than a mohair throw rug of slightly smaller size. Bargain! Plus I bought some garden tools which I can't wait to try out on the vegetable bed, which needs to be prepared for winter.

4) difficult child 3 is finally reading books with a bit more challenge to them. He's still not up to age equivalent yet, but he's making good progress.

I think that should be enough for today.

This is fun!

dreamer

mattsmom, Ihave such happy tears sliding down my cheeks! That is so wonderful!

I think I like this thread! :)

FOP- how great is that!
I already have good news today, too. The sun was shining so nicely, and I went out to get paper in and the birdies were happily chirping all over in front, and while that might sound sort of ho hum....it really isn't. It was a long winter and it IS so good to have the rejuvenation of spring.

I can hardly wait to hear MORE good things here.
THank you everyone for this lovely thread. :)