The Good News Thread

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I think the time has come for another Good News Thread to remind us of the good things (little or big) in our lives. I know that I really enjoyed the last one we had.

My good news is that I've declared today to be ME Day. I'm taking the whole day to myself. No housework. No homework. I'm spending the day with easy child at the Outlet Mall. I have money from mother in law for my birthday, and I set back some money from the school loan to spend on just ME, and I'll be taking that along.

It is supposed to be a lovely sunny day and 65-70 degrees.

easy child and I always have loads of fun shopping together. And although I'm not one to buy stuff for myself, I'm determined to spoil myself today. :bigsmile:

That is my good news. So what is yours??

Hugs

TerryJ2

Ummm ... I'm taking action and doing Operation Clean Sweep in my son's room (actually, I'm into Task Avoidance, at the keyboard here, LOL!) and I'm expecting better behavior from him today. The good news is that he actually smiled at me this a.m. and said Good Morning.
easy child, although she trashed my car with-beach towels, candy wrappers and juice, did not get into any accidents and came home safe. I threw her towels and other paraphernalia onto the driveway and she was a bit alarmed so I simply explained that if she treated my property with-a lack of respect, I would do the same.
The good news is that she is a easy child and will learn very quickly.
husband has been very sick all week. The good news is that he's on antibiotics and is slowly getting better. (See what a rough wk it's been?)
The sun is out and my irises are blooming.
My crazy cousin in NY has NOT called today.
My dogs love me.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
LOL I only ate 1/2 of the one pound bag of swedish fish last night while watching Atonement. ><>

difficult child I called me 2 hours ago for a ride home from his friends, and I am taking my sweet precious time, so he can feel what it's like waiting for him in the morning to go to school. Sweet irony.

My parents come home from Florida 2morrow, so it's my last day in a relaxed house, 2morrow it's back to military living. I guess I need to start cleaning, sigh.......................

Later, I am going to have the other 1/2 pound of my ><> now, LOL, a healthy lunch dont you think?

Abbey

Spork Queen
My good news is that I survived last night without doing bodily damage. (See my screaming post.) ;)

Abbey

SRL

Daisylover, I love the ME day. One day not long ago I stopped and carried out my favorite salad for lunch--it felt good just o have such a treat.

Terry, lol on the crazy cousin not calling. I got about 25 emails from a relative this week from a relative I'd rather hide from too.

Two things come to mind:

1) I got a barebones IEP for difficult child to transition into middle school next year, even though he'd reached the point of there being no educational impact. Everyone agreed it was a bad idea to turn him loose during the transition. I feel blessed, especially knowing how many of you have had to fight your SD's for the smallest thing.

2) Even though I don't have the skills for it, I took on chess club to keep the club going because it was difficult child's only extra-curricular. It was was out of my comfort zone, especially when 50+ kids turned up when I was expecting about 12. I'm really glad it's over but I'm glad I did it. When we went to the bigger tournaments were were in the same room with the junior high team and the older kids made difficult child and the other elementary kids feel welcome so it will make that transition easier. And last week difficult child won our intraschool tournament. His final game was against his best friend and would determine the first place winner--he won and took top honors but I'm pretty sure he would have handled the loss well too. A happy day for me.

Oh, one more--I've been walking at a park in town and have been watching goslings born from the nesting Canadian geese. It's been lovely seeing the mama geese on their nests and the goslings are an absolute hoot. Pure joy!

Star*

call 911........call 911
WEll, thanks for asking.

I've had this sinus, ear, nose throat thing all week - missed Monday and Tuesday and I still have a job.

My son called with undertones of severe depression - but he called.

I'm fairly certain I have been being treated for 3 diseases for 4 years that I do not have and think I have hypothyroidism.

And I'm growing plants for a garden that I can't have because I want to move soon - so I'm recycling every milk jug I can get my hands on and have 20 bush bean plants doing very well.

I dunno - hasn't been a bad week - just nothing stellar for me.

TerryJ2

LOL. Look how many of us posted caveats and qualifiers.
What lives we have !!!!
Still, it could be worse. I could be living in Afghanistan with-my difficult child.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I had a quiet, peaceful day yesterday with easy child! She even lost her typical teen attitude yesterday and so far today the same thing!

husband is out of town with difficult child and even though I really had wanted to go with them I've had a difficult child free weekend!

Also today, I went to church, walked my dog 3 miles (counted it as my workout), filled my car with gas and mowed the lawn all before noon! I also just woke up from a peaceful nap!

And... tonight is another new episode of "Desperate Housewives". It's been cracking me up this year, it has been so funny!

skeeter

NL was nominated for a "Cappie" award for best actor in a dramatic play. This is the local high school equivalent to the Tony awards. We'll find out on May 18th - at a black tie ceremony - if he won or not.
NF is on the down home side of his time in the Persian Gulf.
And SN may actually be graduating from high school in June. We've got tickets to fly out there for it, if she doesn't, I guess we'll just have a 2 day vacation.

Andy

My Favorite good news: NO SNOW this weekend. AWESOME!

difficult child had an overnight class trip Thursday. He did GRRREEAT!

I took easy child to my sister's home town (4 hours away). We stayed at a wonderful motel and I got to visit my sister. easy child was able to participate in a Prom - Grand March, Dance, Post Prom Party - her cousin won a Wii. The weather was beautiful the entire weekend.

difficult child spent Saturday at the "farm" with husband (property we own that is rented out for farming). He enjoyed the day. On Sunday he went to church with DF and even behaved during Sunday School (husband taught my class). husband took difficult child to lunch at Applebees (difficult child never wants to eat out with me but behaved this a.m. so that husband would take him.) husband also has bought a mountain bike for difficult child.

So, looks like easy child, difficult child, and I are in great spirits and I hope husband enjoyed his weekend.

It is so good to be able to tell out good stories. Not only for ourselves, but for each other to know that there is success and good things out there.

trinityroyal

My good news for the day...
easy child (Big Sis) went to difficult child's Residential Treatment Center (RTC) to take him out for dinner-and-a-movie. husband and I haven't had a single phone call from either of them all day.

Bad times means phone calls from each of them, telling "their side of the story", so no news is good news!

Trinity

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I really do get a major kick outta reading the replies to this post.

Terry sometimes a smile is more valuable than any gold. And I just love irises!!

Amazedofgrace I'm glad you've been enjoying a relaxed house, and your swedish fish. lol

Abbey I've got to go read your post!

SRL I'm glad the IEP worked out. And goslings, huh? Awww how sweet. I don't care much for the adults, but I enjoy any baby.

Star I'd get your thyroid checked out asap. And if you don't have those 3 then at least maybe it will save you money for their treatment. ((hugs)) It stinks being sick for a whole week. I hope you feel better soon.

Sharon I'm tickled pink you got a difficult child free weekend!! Woohoo!!!

Skeeter congrats to NL! That's cool they hand out awards like that.

Adrianne no snow is fabulous! (seen too much of it this year) And it sounds like everyone had a fun weekend.

Trinity that was a really nice thing for easy child to do for difficult child. Keeping fingers crossed it goes well.

My ME day was a huge success. easy child and I timed our shopping trip perfectly. Sales galore!!! OMG Many stores sales were up to 80 percent off!! I didn't quite spend 300.00 and got an entire spring/summer wardrobe! Darn good when I'd allowed for 400.00 because of the birthday money mother in law had given me. :bigsmile:

Ok, so I broke my own rule about not buying a single thing for anyone else. But when Children's Place had their winter clearance for toddler girls priced at 99 cents each, what's a Nana to do?? I bought her 10 shirts and 2 pairs of shoes that will fit her next fall/winter for 11 bucks!

tiredmommy

Sunday School is over for now... I can use the break.

I bought Duckie a used dresser/mirror & desk/hutch off off craigslist for only $90. I fully expected to need to sand it & refinish it or paint it. But all it needed was a good scrub!

As if that isn't good enough, that means that Duckie now has her own place for her school supplies & stuff. And not in my living room!

And lastly, Duckie has agreed that she will practice her big presentation daily until she goes live on Friday. This was after seeing a third grader crash & burn while trying to do his presentation in front of the other 60+ multi-age students on Thursday. This is huge!

KTMom91

#2 and KL found a pastor for their wedding.

The roast I crock-potted for lunch was fabulous.

My "solar dryer" is set up and my backyard is almost back to normal.

Hubby's job went from temp-to-hire to hired...health insurance!

crazymama30

My me day was Friday. I went for a hike with the dog, and almost made it to the top of the butte but there was still a foot of snow on top!! Physically I could have made it, but I do not like to hike in wet feet. Then I went and had my orthotics adjusted and went to see a friends new baby. Then I made a good dinner. It was nice. The first me day I have had in a long time.

Marguerite

My good news - I did some shopping with difficult child 3 today and there were some good specials at the butcher. We had a roast for dinner plus a big pot of everyone's favourite spinach (everyone except difficult child 3). I steam it, drain it, squeeze lemon juice through it and throw in a lot of grated cheddar to melt through the hot spinach. Any leftovers (I DID cook an entire bunch - but spinach was on special too) gets used in a spanakopita.

Also - we bought another baby budgie today at the pet shop. So Daisy will now have a young friend. All we can hope is that we now have one of each sex. difficult child 3 found a good website for trying to work out which sex they are: http://devvle.com/budgiegender.html

This one's a lutino, almost totally yellow and with red eyes like two tiny rubies. difficult child 3 has called it "Lucky". Because it's so young I'm hoping we can train it to be a bit tamer than Daisy. Tomorrow we take the cover off Lucky's cage and let Daisy have a good look at him. She's been missing a friend ever since our other budgie died last winter (caught flu from difficult child 1). The previous one was a lutino as well.

Marg

4sumrzn

Friday is the big Cincinnati Children's Hospital visit!

I received a letter Saturday confirming difficult child has a spot for the first four weeks of a local special needs camp! Just hope it works out....she likes it....she can funtion there....doesn't get the boot & then we will try for the last 3 weeks too!

N

Nomad

Knock on wood, throwing salt over my shoulder and thanking my HIgher Power Daily...we see lots of progress in our household and lots of "good news." I am most grateful.

Son just got another straight A report card in college. He is engaged and they just found a beautiful place to have the wedding.

This June...I will have completed one year of graduate school and have done this while working one or two days a week. I am in a state of shock.

husband just threw me a big birthday part (I had a milestone one) and I had many of my good friends there. It was a very special moment for me and made this time easier and joyous for me.

difficult child....well? She has not made as much progress as we had hoped...HOWEVER, she has been out of our home for almost a year and in recent month (keeping fingers crossed and saying a little prayer), she has dumped problematic friends and has improved her attitude overall.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Fran

Former desparate mom
How pleasant to read all of your good news.
difficult child's taught us all how to be grateful for peace didn't they?

My good news is that I got a lot of pots planted and my porch and patio look so comfy that it pleases me. It was a lot of work and I will add to it a little at a time. After today the first floor is officially moved into and ready for the outside world.
easy child hasn't had a seizure in close to 3 yrs and has a normal EEG. Wahoo!

I have been able to take the dogs on trail walks. Honeysue is getting canine chemo and seems to be feeling ok for the time being. I fit in my normal summer clothes.

husband has steady employment. easy child will have steady employment in 2 wks. difficult child is working for a week now.
As of today, there is good health with both our families.
I am grateful. Thanks for letting me remind myself of the good stuff.

house of cards

I am proud and thankful that I was able to go out to IHOP yesterday for Major's birthday and everyone behaved well. That is amazing with 2 3yo's, 2 8 yo's a 10 yo, a 16 yo, a 21 yo and 2 very old tired people LOL. I am thankful for birthdays. I am thankful for spring and all the green life springing forth.