The Good Things

Lulu

Well, N's performance in tumbling today brought me to tears. It was the first class of 2008 for him, although he took several sessions last year. He followed directions, he seriously tried to do the moves, actually performed complicated things, showed great focus and even--gasp--ability! Tears welled up in my eyes as the head teacher worked one-on-one with him for a while and he did everything she demonstrated. He was rarely silly, and he participated in the warm up and the cool down. I was f-l-o-o-r-e-d.

Is this maturity? Interest? Focus? It was a 180 from last year's classes. He has always LOVED tumbling class, but rarely has he actually participated. Granted, next week's class could go straight to **** from the get-go.

Basking in the glory of his success, we read some books in the lobby, and then it was time to go. So he crawled under some chairs and refused to come out. "Game on!" LOL You know the rest: automatic door tag, magnetic puddles (flooded parking lot, pouring rain), not getting in the car seat while Mom drowns waiting, and on, and on...

Just thought I would share, though, that there are little moments that can just amaze you. I hope all of you see one today. :)

tiredmommy

I'm glad to read he did so well. My Duckie does that at dance, which is pretty incredible since she's so clumsy. Try to look at after class as life's way of making sure your feet stay squarely on the ground. :)

SRL

Lulu, days like this one go a long way in keeping moms going!

Your post made me think how I sometimes take progress for granted. The same day you posted my difficult child participated in a chess tournament and did things that would have been impossible just 5 years ago: mingled with other kids easily, was socially appropriate, took losses with grace, handled a full day without melting down before/during/after, coped with the sensory overload awards ceremony, etc. I was pleased of course, but reading about your day made me think back to those early days and how tough they were and how everyday things parents take for granted are monumental.