The hats are AMAZING!

KTMom91

I am absolutely fascinated by the hats these women are wearing to the Royal Wedding! While some of them are very cute, and I would probably wear them (I love hats), some of these women are wearing strange little things that seem to be glued onto their foreheads and stick up about a foot.

Miss KT has passed out, but I'm still watching!

:church::couple:

:lady:

lovemysons

LOL
Wasn't I one who thought this whole ordeal was alttle ridiculous but yet here I am up in the middle of the night watching the Royal Wedding. And I admit I did watch Diana's and did cry over her death.

KTmom... So true. The hats are pretty incredible!!! Caught myself thinking that some of the wide brimmed ones can really "hide" little remarks. I mean they cover up at least 2 or 3 peoples faces that are talking to each other.

I admit it...this is history in the making and is such a wonderful world wide event to celebrate together.
Tammy

Mattsmom277

I can't believe I will admit I'm up watching. Weirdly it was S/O who set an alarm. Shhhh! Don't say I told on him ;). He's a history buff and he watches things like this simply because of the history of it, he likes a ring side seat even if things normally wouldn't interest him. I can tell though that he's liking the romance part of it all too, but I promised myself to not rib him about it lol.

I love the hats, the strangeness of some of them! I could never wear something like these and wouldn't want to. They all can carry the craziest head wear off somehow can't they? I don't have that kind of presence. I'd just look like I put an Ostrich on my head to march around lol.

Nancy

I saw that one hat worn by someone who entered the palace right behind Prince Charles so maybe a granddaughter or niece? It did look like something was glued to her forehead lol.

Nancy

Mattsmom277

They showed one woman going into the Palace after the wedding with this insane hat, it was awful! Had some sort of huge sculpture like thing sticking up high from the front of her hat. But the film was taken as a side view of her walking up the steps and she looked down at her feet to not trip and it looked like a major set of horns , like a long unicorn horn or something. I shook my head, who designed that for her and didn't realize how ridiculous it is from the side? Some one who doesn't like the woman much maybe??! lol

slsh

member since 1999
I loved it - wasn't into all the hoopla leading up to it, but since I was awake anyway, I watched. It was beautiful and Kate is just so stunning. William has the most charming grin. He really seems like a pretty grounded guy.

I think the hat you guys are talking about was worn by Beatrice, Fergie's daughter. It was .... different. My first thought was if Fergie knew what her daughter was wearing. It wasn't terribly flattering.

Marguerite

Beatrice was in the blue dress, her hat was not too weird. But her sister Eugenie - her hat was appalling. I think that was the one that caught your eye, Nancy. She's Prince Charles' niece, they were sitting right behind the Queen and "Phil the Greek".

Did anyone else notice Camilla looking very uncomfortable? Maybe it was when the Bishop was talking about the sanctity of marriage and how no person should come between a married couple...

Marg

KTMom91

LOL Marg...I agree Camilla did not look happy. Guess all those references to fidelity and forsaking all others got to her.

The peachy beige hat that looked like reindeer antlers cracked me up every time. On Eugenie, you say?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - Posh spices hat looked like black antelope glittery horns - sorry but that's the way of it.

Eugenies flesh colored monstrostity was - just that. You're a princess and this is what you picked? Only to be outdone I think by Beatrice's neckline - How square and uncomely was that blue dress?

Princess Anne? Her hat was just perfect, she looked about as aristocratic as you can get.

The Queen Mother? Picture of perfection.

Camilla Parker Bowles? Someone tell me please why she waved to the masses outside the Abbey and Prince Charles did not? Can't be sure but did anyone else catch Charles saying something to her as he looked down at the ground almost like he was telling her COME ON THEN - Then inside the Abbey, she curtseyed once, then twice for the Queen Mother, and then looked very uncomfortable standing there in the vestibule of the church. Could just be my imagination, but it seemed as if the Queen looked right through her? But then she got a peck on the cheek from Prince Albert. (I thought that was oddly including) then she seemed to relax almost as if he were telling the world - the rest of you may not accept or like her, but I find some redeeming quality in her. You just never know what goes on behind closed doors in a Palace.

Someone else want to tell me WHY there were so many camera references to Elton John and his partner ? Nearly as many as the Prince and his. They couldn't find any other celebrity in the crowd?

There were a few hats that I thought were very stylish - This one that was worn on the right side of this gals head, large brim, black - see through - they showed it several times.

Nancy

Yes Marg it was Eugenie, I found that out now. Actually Sara would probably be in favor of their style, she was a character herself. Camilla's granddaughter was a flower girl so there must not be too many hard feelings there. I agree she always looks uneasy.

I wish Charles would just give up his chance and they would pass the crown to William. He would make such a great King, Charles is too old and fuddy duddy.

Nanncy

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I found that the Beckam's garb (and her hat) were interesting - they looked like they were attending a marriage of a vampire bride - who wears all black to a wedding??

Marcie

witzend

I thought that Beatrice's hat was rude! Talk about taking attention away from the bride! Never mind that a kajillion people were watching the bride, that was rude!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I finally succumbed and found a slide show on USAToday of the hats.

Beatrice's ...headpiece... Was just ugly. Eugenie's was interesting, but a bit much...

The only two I actually liked were the Queen's - simple, matching, NICE... and Victoria Beckham's (though the whole forehead thing is just ODD).

If I wear a hat? It's a ball cap or 10-gallon...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
H came in to wake me but I sent him away...he watched! I tol him I'd catch it later. I loved all the hats except Victoria Beckham's but I think that's just because she comes across as being very stuck on herself. Kate's gown was beautiful!

DDD

Are any of you old enough to have worn hats? They were required for Church "back in the day" and often were worn to teas and coffees. I hated them as did my eldest sister but my Mom (not at all flamboyant) had at least ten beautiful hats that looked good on her. My other sister was the only slightly heavy one in the family but OMG she wore hats beautifully. She's still chapped off that hats went out of style. On me...any and every hat just looked stupid.

I think alot has to do with the shape of your face and hairstyle. Some of the people were really stunning.......then others (especially Fergie's girls) looked absurd just like I always felt like I looked
years ago.

Have you worn hats? How did you look? DDD

Marg's Man

I told Marg that I thought Eugenie's hat looked like some sort of radar array - HORRID is the only word to describe it.

Um Star - the Queen Mother is dead, back in 2002 at 101 years of age. I guess you were meaning the Queen herself, at 85 she's no spring chicken but with the health insurance plan she would be on she'll probably last as long as her mum. Charles' reign as King will be short, he won't ascend the throne until he's a very old man. Pity really. Despite his fuddy duddy appearance he is a sensitive thoughtful man with a strong sense of duty trapped in an invidious situation.

The rules of succession mean that, unless Charles dies before his mother, William won't be King until both Liz and Charlie snuff it.

Marg's Man

donna723

I remember when I was a kid, all the women wore hats and gloves when they got dressed up for church and we did too when we were very young teenagers. Or maybe that was just because we were still young enough to have to wear what our mothers wanted us to. In the Catholic Church then, women had to have their heads covered but they wore hats in all the other churches too. And you just didn't go out without nylons on, way before they came up with pantyhose. We've come a long way, thank goodness! I was never a "hat person" anyway.

Marguerite

Westminster Abbey requires hats to be worn by women for a Royal Wedding, I believe.

When I was a kid my mother used to make me wear a hat to church. I was about the only kid wearing a hat - a pill box number, very popular at the time thanks to Jackie Kennedy (as she was then). I hated it. My mother had sewn hat elastic to it, to keep it on my head even in a high wind. A kid at Sunday School used to keep hitting me over the back of the head to flip the hat over my face. Funny thing - she and I became firm friends (when I stopped wearing the hat) and we are still friends, all these years later.

I have a hat collection, some are weird. But what we saw last night include some really, really weird contraptions! I was feeling sorry for people stuck behind large radar dish hats and not able to see a thing...

Royal protocol is very strict. During "God Save the Queen" everybody is supposed to stand. The Queen gets curtseyed to by the women (including members of her own family). But it's not because she's up herself - it's the rank people are curtseying to, not the individual. She insists on the right thing being done because she has a very strong sense of duty. And tat sense of duty will keep her in the job until she dies. She took an oath at her coronation to serve the British people for the rest of her life, and she takes that very seriously.

Queen Victoria lived a very long time, had a very long reign. Her eldest son (Edward VII) was a king in waiting with few royal duties, he only came to the thrown very late in life and would have been a marvellous king if he had lived longer. The current Queen was not born to the job; when she was born, her parents were not expecting to ever be in the forefront. Then came the constitutional crisis over Edward VIII (who actually was never crowned, he abdicated before the coronation in order to marry Wallis Simpson) and a shy, stammering man (George VI) was thrust into the lead role. His wife, the former Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, became Queen Elizabeth (but without numerals, she was consort and not monarch). When George VI died, his daughter had been married for a few years and happened to be in Kenya with her husband. George Vi's wife became Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and the daughter became Queen Elizabeth II. She has now reigned longer than Queen Victoria did, I believe. And from what I recall of Queen Victoria, I think this Queen has also been far more involved with the job for the whole time. Queen Victoria isolated herself for some years after her husband Albert's death.

Marg