The importance of questions

Allan-Matlem

A lot of behavior problems are a product of lagging communication skills. Questions are the basis for commincation, thinking and problem solving. We should help kids to use questions in their communications and follow up with another question . A nice game to play is to talk about things but have a rule that we need to end the communication witha question. As parents we often are not good with asking questions and especially drilling down to get info from kids about their concerns

I hope this helps
Allan

Marguerite

It is useful, Allan, but the problems begin when you have a child who simply can't think fast enough or isn't sufficiently socially skilled to be able to work out what questions to ask. It would be good to try to rehearse these techniques because maybe one day our kids will be able to manage. But even if they are taught and well-rehearsed, until their brains are ready, it just won't work.

We role-play a lot, and I've got a mix of normal and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) in the house. I see what works and what does not, as well as when it can begin to work with the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) kids.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio..."

Marg

Allan-Matlem

Hi,
In our communication with kids we can use 'pause' , tell kids to take their time to think. These games and they way we speak fosters brain growth and thinking skills

Allan