The irony of it all...

ksm

Today at church (Sunday school actually) we had a speaker from the mental health organization. They are looking for families to be "respite" families for children - to give the child and their care giver a break. She said "special needs" but it isn't physical needs - mental health needs, like ADD, ADHD, bipolar, etc... Kind of like a sleep over for difficult child's. But you have to go thru the same licensing procedures that foster care has for foster homes. (Classes, home inspection, etc) I guess you get paid $65 for one day.

What I thought was funny was the speaker said, even though these children act out at home, none of her respite families have ever had any big complaints about behavior. That most the children only act out at home. Gee, don't we know that! Anyway, instead of being ready to sign up to be a respite family... husband joked that we should be on the list to get respite care! We really need a break and so does little sis.

KSM

crazymama30

Wow. That is ironic. I bet the respite providers don't have any problems with the kiddos, we all know they save their worst behaviors for home.

ksm

Why joke? Sign up!!! You're right. We all need a break now and then, difficult child's too. Can't hurt!

I'd get in line if I thought we would qualify! But we are not in any of the "groups" she mentioned. And since the children were not adopted from the state, we don't qualify for any of that either. We are just stuck.

Just looked up difficult child's grades online. 4 F's. We are just two weeks in to the second trimester - and she hasn't handed in anything. Go figure. But, she still thinks I should take her to the Y for swimming this afternoon. Did I mention I am not doing it? KSM

crazymama30

ksm, I don't fall into any of the groups here either. Our wrap services coordinator says we have the "wrong" kind of medicaid to get it. Nice.

by the way, I would not take her swimming either. She could do her homework during that time.

ksm

by the way, I would not take her swimming either. She could do her homework during that time.

I feel a little bit bad... as she did do a math assignment and hurriedly did some "journal entries". They are supposed to be a paragraph long - but she hurriedly wrote two sentences on the subject. On her math, she tried a couple and said she had to wait to talk to the teacher to do them, but I had her ask DFES and she did complete those after that.

But when I saw she had F's in 4 core subjects (out of 5) I didn't think she should go swimming... as she didn't bring homework home at all in two of those subjects. Plus with her terrible attutude and lashing out verbally, why should I put myself out? I realized that we are not doing her any favors letting her get buy with her behaviors just to avoid a meltdown for the rest of us. I am going to expect better and she is going to have to get with the program. KSM

Wiped Out

Staff member
Too bad you wouldn't qualify; I wish my church would do something like that I'd be the first to sign up!

ksm

Too bad you wouldn't qualify; I wish my church would do something like that I'd be the first to sign up!

Oh, our church isn't doing it - we were just asked by the mental health association if they could come and talk about their program and try to find prospective families to host. I guess they only have one family that is providing - and several in the process being licensed. The only thing is - the mental health association partners with the foster care provider company, and when we were trying to get custody of the girls, we had to work with that company, and I don't trust them or have any respect for most of their employees.

If we didn't have our own difficult child, husband and I might consider it. But right now, I couldn't take on extra kids. KSM