The joys of living in a "small town"

muttmeister

Just for reference, when I say small, I mean under 200 people.

So this morning I was sitting in the bathroom putting on my makeup when I heard a goat baa-ing . Not unusual; my neighbors have goats. Then I decided it sounded a little closer than usual so I looked out and there was the darned goat in my front yard. walking up onto my porch. I had just planted about $200 worth of plants in my yard in the last few days so I decided to let my dogs out to chase it away. :mad: My old dog who died a couple of years ago was a blue heeler and she would round up anything that came on the property. The ones I have now are different. One is part border collie but he obviously didn't inherit any instincts from that side of the family. The other one is half golden retriever and half cocker spaniel and his favorite thing to do, other than to get petted, is take a nap on my bed. My neigbor across the street calls them Stupid Dog (the border collie mix) and Digger (the golden mix). Anyway, I let them out and they barked like crazy but then the goat put his head down like he wanted to butt them so they were smart enough to run away and bark from a distance. While this was all going on, I was standing in the doorway so the goat decided to go into the house. I grabbed him by the horns and drug him out but he turned around and came right back in. On the fourth try I finally got him to stay out, but only after shutting his head in the door.:tongue: Then the dogs chased him over onto his own property.
Finally the guy who owns the goats drove up and I told him what happened. We laughed but I told him that if he was in my yard like that again I might end up having a goat-roast. He was nice about it and I was nice about it but I think maybe he knew I was serious about the goat-roast.
Anyway, for all of you who are thinking it would be fun to live in a small town, this is the sort of thing you're up against. I guess goat warfare is better than gang warfare but maybe I'll have to get out my gun to solve the problem anyway.:redface:

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I used to live in a town just like that! The police chief was also the dog catcher and the mailman! Now I am back in New York. I really miss goat warfare!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Boy, that story really gets my goat! :p

Too funny. How did the goat get out of his yard in the first place, I wonder?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Wow... And here I thought the neighbor's dog was a PITA.

I never had to deal with a goat before...

Abbey

Spork Queen
Mutt...the visual is just too much! Not many people would grab a goat by the horns.

by the way - a Blue Heeler is one of the best dogs on earth. They NEVER take their eyes off you when you are around. They are so alert to whatever the task is. Cocker Spaniels? Well...I'll keep my opinion to myself. Actually, I won't. (Imagine that.) Dumbest dogs I ever attempted to train. Loveable, yes...but their noses are to the ground nearly 100% of the time absolutely unaware of anything else that is going around them. "Come, Cookie...come!!" Ummm...no, I'm sniffing the ground right now.

Enjoy your goat roast!

Abbey

DammitJanet

Oh I just rolled on this one! I can just see it. We have had goats wander into the yard but so far none have attempted unlawful entry...lol.

Star*

call 911........call 911
ROFL -

OMG do NOT mess with a warrior Mom who has endured more carp during teen years than most women deal with in a life time -

I get a visual of you grabbing the goat and dragging him out.

LOVE IT....

Fran

Former desparate mom
Too funny.
I love that the goat thought he should come into the house. LOL

My mom makes a mean goat roast.:sword:Let me know if you need the recipe.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL

I want the chickens from around the corner to wander into my yard.........

Sunday dinner.

:rofl:

I busted up laughing I got such a visual on that one. Next time call and ask to borrow Molly. She'll herd that wayward goat home for you.

BusynMember

I laughed so hard, I almost cried.

I live in a small town too, but no goats or farm animals around here. Actually, not quite sure what you mean by small--we have under 2000 people and everyone knows one another. People don't pull out guns either...lol. We'd get arrested if we did that.

I guess maybe small town Wisconsin is different than where you're from.

Thanks so much for the great description of the goat and your dogs. My cocker and half cocker are best at napping and licking me too. If they saw a goat my guess is they'd yelp for my aid.

Wiped Out

Staff member
What a great visual-rofl! I can't imagine a goat trying to come in the house!! Are the goats just free to roam?

2daughters

LOL I can totally relate (77 ppl here ... and no most of us don't wear make up unless we go to a bigger town lol)! I've chased goats, pigs, horses, cows, sheep etc but fortunately none of them have tried unlawful entry!

Abbey

Spork Queen
77 people? Do they do a daily count and then scratch out the sign when you enter the city? Nope...Ethel didn't have her baby yet. We'll check again tomorrow. Get the permanent marker ready. It might be 78 tomorrow. I don't know...Ed might kick the bucket any second so the sign should be good.

What's the bigger town? 100?

(Sorry...I'm in a naughty mood today. Someone let the latch on my corner lock off.)

Abbey