The most resilient ants ever

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, after THREE visits from the exterminator, we STILL have ants.

These are the most resilient ants I have ever seen! The exterminator is coming back for a fourth time next Tuesday. If they don't kill them this time, is it wrong for me to expect a refund so I can call another company??

I paid $350 for this 6-month GUARANTEED service and I got nothing!! Ants in my tub, ants in my bedroom, ants in the hallway, the living room, ants in the kitchen!!

I kill about 15-30 ants every day!! I have to sweep up their little ant carcuses every morning and every night!! I kill them with my bare hands and feet!! It's disgusting. :sick:

And we're not pigs, my house is clean and we don't have food lying around - the kitchen counters are wiped down several times a day and there are no crumbs about at all. It's so frustrating.

Ugh, just had to vent.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
They're superants.

We have them too, at home and at work. The ones at home are HUGE black things and they love coffee - no sugar, just coffee. YARGH. They're in the bathtub (why? Soap tasty?). On my car. Fortunately the cats like to chase and eat them.

The ones at work are tiny and red and don't like the ant traps. The only trap there are any in is the one upon which I places a piece of candy. There are two. There's all over my desk.

graceupongrace

JoG,

Here's the one thing that worked for us when we had similar ant troubles: I got something from an Asian market that's called "Miraculous Insectide Chalk." It's an oblong piece of chalk about 3" long and it comes one piece to a box. You find where the ants are gathering and/or where they're coming in, and draw a line of chalk there. I drew a semi-circle and dared them to cross it -- LOL! The ants that are there die, and the others go away. It's cheap as can be and won't hurt kids & pets, and it wipes up easily. The trick is not to kill the ants you see. Apparently they take the message back to the colony that they're not welcome any more.

If you don't have an Asian market near you, you might be able to find it on the internet.

Good luck!

klmno

We have an annual problem here, too. I have heard the solution is to treat the lower wall and ground around the exterior of your house. I did that a little last year and it helped a great deal. I noticed they are bad in the house when it is hot and humid.

jal

I had amazing luck with cornmeal this year. They take it back to the nest and because they can't digest it they die. I sprinkled cornmeal all along the foundation of the house and out in the yard where I saw ant holes. It kept them at bay since they usually show up in May for us. Also I have read (and used last year) that using a combination of vinegar and water to wipe down counters erases their trail and causes confusion so they don't want to return.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh goodness, we've had these since January. Yes, January. We tried treating them ourselves in various ways. When that didn't work, I finally called in a supposed expert.

They have sprayed outside around the perimeter of the house 3 times. They've dusted in the areas where suspected colonies are twice. They have fogged inside the walls once and will do that again next week.

I just feel like I'm about to lose my mind already.

And yes, ours like coffee too!! And they are also in our bathtub too - they exterminator said they are after the water and that we probably had a leak at one time and so there is water under there that they like. He dusted behind and below the tub area. No work. I will look for that chalk - I wouldn't even know where to put it since we don't know where they are coming from. Ugh. Hate them. But as a co-worker pointed out, at least they are not bees.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ants have to be pretty brave and bold to cross that chalk line Grace is talking about. We've taken regular chalk on a sidewalk and drawn a circle to keep them in and they really do not like chalk. I'd be interested to see what this super Asian chalk is. (thanks for the tip Grace)

Also - if you have dogs or kids instant grits sprinkled on the mounds will kill ants - they take it to the queen - she eats it - gets thirsty - they give her water and she blows up. Kaboom.

Yes, if it's a guaranteed service you should ask for a refund.

busywend

JoG, if they are the carpenter ants the exterminator needs to treat the wood within the walls. They actually drill a teeny hole in each wall stud and fumigate into that hole. That is the only way to kill the colony.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
This has to be incredibly annoying, not to mention disgusting.

I have to admit when I read the title to your thread ("resilient") I pictured ants at a gym working out and wearing oxygen masks to avoid the fumes. ;)

Good luck!

Suz

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We have ants something fierce here in AZ! We have who knows how many different types???
Because of all of the creepy crawlies most of the homes are pretty well sealed.
But the tiny ones still get in.
Our guys Truly Nolan our awesome! But even they can't keep the leaf cutter ants, red mound ants or harvester ants away for very long.
It is a desert problem here and we just deal with it, like roaches and slithery things!!!
We are able to keep them out of the house though. Lots of lizards that love ants around!
The Regal horned lizard eats only red ants and I have found 5 lizards in my yard in the past couple of weeks!

I may try the chalk and the grits though, for the huge mounds of harvesters! They bite!

This is the first place I have lived with roaches! The pest guy said to leave the drains closed. Not much we can do other wise... yuck!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Even when we lived in Texas we didn't have much of a problem with roaches. Fire ants, yes...

I've discovered that roaches do not like two things: bleach and cats.

But the cats sure like them!

M

ML

I'm sorry Jo, what a pain. We've used cinnamon in a line and they won't cross it. Might be worth a try? Hugs, ML

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Flour works too... I tried this last night in a circle - they ran around like crazy! Then Squirrel the Cat had a ball with them. Flour's cheaper than cinnamon too.

Abbey

Spork Queen
We had bad ants in FL and Vegas. We finally resorted to a trillion ant traps around the house. They eventually went away, but it was a pain. They like water, so any leak should be stopped.

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
So far they have found three (3!!) colonies. We don't know where they are coming from - I wish I did because I would try the corn starch or cinnamon.

I am at my wits end, really. Thanks for all the suggestions, however, because if I end up getting my money back, I will be buying a lot of corn starch and cinnamon and putting it EVERYWHERE AROUND MY HOUSE. Hahaha

DammitJanet

I can just see and smell Jo's house from here! There will be clouds of red and white powder and a distinctive bleach smell. You will get raided for running a drug lab.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Have the ant populations like virus' adapted to the stuff that kills them chemically? We have had this problem at our house too. Hoping to try several of these options.

beth