The other shoe has dropped.

dashcat

difficult child is pregnant.

She had just applied to, and been accepted in, an online school. She decided she loves Target and wants to move up. She planned to go for a degree in retail merchandising ... something like that.

and now she's pregnant. Two days before her 22nd birthday. With a guy she met on Craiglsist and became engaged to within a week. A guy with three children under the age of five. A guy who isnot yet divorced, and delights in bashing the mother of his children on his Facebook page. A guy who is so controlling that he drives difficult child 15 miles to work.

I am heartsick.

Dash
:smile:

BusynMember

Dash, I am so very sorry.

Regarding the boyfriend, take heart. If it lasts as long as most difficult child relationships, it will be over next month.

About the baby, no real words. Take it a day at a time.

Gentle hugs.

Dash - I am so sorry for your news. This should be a happy time to learn that you are going to be a grandmother. I'm sorry it isn't.

Is this the guy she moved in with as a rental/babysitting situation and it turned into a relationship very quickly?

I sure hope she at least keeps up the online school and is able to complete the course.

dashcat

Thanks, everyone. I am in the wallowing mode right now and your support is greatly appreciated. WelcometoWE, yes, it is the same wackadoodle landlord-turned-lothario (strangers to engaged in eight days!). Step, she will actually qualify for maternity leave at Target. They are wonderful to her... a real bright spot in this crazy year.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh my, life can sure throw us some curve balls...............perhaps there is a silver lining here which can't be seen quite yet.........I hope so................hugs Dash, hang in there...............

Dixies_fire

This may not be a total disaster, it may cause her to grow up. It may cause her to see things differently about the guy too a man that doesn't get his kids often but yet needs a live in baby sitter to contend with them while they are there? Sure doesn't sound like marriage material to me.

I'd be careful because she doesn't have much history with this guy driving her to the altar so if he screws up big enough she still might leave. But if you make yourself the enemy of them she isn't going to talk to you about what is going on.
I would emphasize that getting married doesn't really make a family, it won't change the parts of him that she may already not like.
It isn't easy being married to a man who pays most of his income in child support to another woman when you and your kid are going without.

I had tk at 20. She gave me a reason to become successful to work hard, a young person can couch serf a person with a baby generally can't.

You need to strike a careful balance do not swoop in and so everything for her and don't make her feel ashamed about having this baby you will regret it later.

Good luck and I'm sorry you are sad.

dashcat

It might just be where I am today, but I cannot see any way that a baby will "straighten out" my difficult child. I know that a baby can wake up an immature, self-centered person ... sometimes. But, c'mon, guys. If babies straightened people out, this world would be a very different place. If babies straightened people out, we could just do away with the entire Children's services department and spend our tax dollars bailing out banks or something.

The reality is that my bi-polar daughter can barely take care of a houseplant. She has the attention span of a gnat and, though her heart is big, she has a very difficult time following rules of any kind. She wants this to work. And maybe it can, but it won't work without some very serious work on her part. And it won't work quickly. In the meantime ... while she is (if she is) working on this, this child will be living in an extremely dysfunctional home.

I remember thinking, during the starry-eyed early years with my child, that her adoption stopped the cycle that was that of her dysfunctional birth family. She, unlike her young, frightened, and largely-abandoned birthmother, would have a happy and secure childhood. And she did. She speaks of it often. She had jars of firelfies, birthday parties, sleepovers with scores of giggling girls, drive-in movies, family dinners, cousins, chocolate chip pancakes, private school, voice lessons, and the full scrapbooks to prove it all.

And then, the bi-polar monster grabbed her and she plummeted into the very world we thought she would never see. . And now it is highly likely that her child will be raised in a near identical environment to the one we believed we were saving her from. We didn't stop the cycle. All we did was postpone it .
I need to be angry for awhile. I need to cycle through the stages of grief until I finally, inevitably, reach acceptance. And then, maybe, I can look on the bright side.

Last edited:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Wow, you made that very clear, I can completely see your point of view, yikes, cycle through all of it, you have every right in the world to feel all of that, what a horror for you to deal with, I am so, so sorry Dash, words fail me right now.....................hugs............

dashcat

Aw, Dixie, no apologies necessary. I am grateful for the support and the hugs, believe me. I did need to get that out, though. Everyone brings their own perspective to these boards. I'm usually big on optimism, but I simply cannot be that way today.

I hope all of you know that I appreciate your taking time to reply to me.
Dash

busywend

Dash, as much as you are right....there is still a part of her upbringing inside her head. Maybe something will stick that will be good for the child. For example, maybe she will insist on meeting the family any time the child goes for a playdate. I think your example will come through....even if it is not 100%.

But, i know you are in pain and I am sorry.

Dash - You're right. A child does not force maturity and common sense on everyone. I will pray that it helps change your daughter. It worked for my cousin but not for my aunt.

Hugs and support coming your way.

Calamity Jane

Oh, Dash, that is just whacked out. How is difficult child taking this...is she thrilled, horrified? I remember that she was considering or perhaps going to therapy, but didn't want to go the medication route...does that still stand?
At least she has a good job and responsible job goals. I hope she sees everything through. OMW - does Ossie know?

Millions of hugs for you, Dash. Wallow away for as long as you need.