The Pediatrician Listened To Me

B

Bunny

easy child had an appointment for his yeaqrly physical this morning. The PA who I made the appointment with came in and started checking him out and she asked me if I had any concerns. "Physically?" I asked. She said, "Anything. Do you have any concerns in general?" So, I started to tell her about my academic concerns. I told her that the school did testing, that they found one weakness in him and I explained it to her as best as I could, and I explained to her what I am seeing at home. I told her that I was going to call the ENT to make an appointment for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) testing as the school first said that they felt that it wasn't necessary, then told me that they weren't qualified to do it. The PA listened to me and said that in her experience she has learned that if a mom has a concern like this there is almost always something going on AND she gave me a referral to a neuropsyche that takes my insurance to do academic testing!! I was going to take him to the doctor that sees difficult child, but he takes not insurance and it will cost me a fortune. If I can do it through insurance that would be great!

I think that when I take difficult child to his appointment tomorrow I will take the list of doctors that the PA gave me and see if he is familiar with any of them and can recommend one.

At least I feel like someone listened to me, took my concerns to heart, and is willing to help me get this looked in to. Even she said that the schools only look on the surface of things and look in such a way so that, with a kid like easy child, he doesn't get any help because he's an average kid and isn't a trouble maker in the classroom.

T

TeDo

One less hurdle to have to worry about. So glad they actually gave you a list. THAT is huge. AWESOME!!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
WOO HOOO!!!!!!!! This is awesome!!!

I would make ALL future appts with that PA. My pediatrician had that opinion about moms and that is why when we moved to the area I was born in he was my kids' pediatrician also. He was amazing and taught me to trust my instincts above what ANY doctor or expert said. ALL docs should have that opinion because we don't have those ideas/feelings that something is wrong out of a clear blue sky. All those years of human evolution gave us those instincts to be sure our children survived and modern medicine hasn't done anything to change that.

B

Bunny

I think what astounded me was that she jumped to a neuropsyche immediately! I swear, I wish I could have seen the look on my face when she said that because it must have been priceless!! Not only was she willing to help, but she's referring me to gthe exact people that CAN help.

This is not the PA that I usually see. I was so upset a few weeks ago because I called for an appointment when difficult child was sick and asked for the PA that I loved, only to be told that she had left the practice in order to spend more time with her kids. I think that my kids will be seeing this one from now on!