The Persuit of Happiness

I would recommend renting this movie for any teenage difficult child. It's a true story about a man who has nothing, raising a 5-year- old, homeless,and he has nothing but he he wants to be something better. He strives- (amidst getting arrested,having his stuff stolen, and a myriad of other things that would make anyone want to give up)-to be better. It's not a story about some wonderful lucky thing happening so now he's all better, but about how he never ever gives up. Even in the darkest hours. He never has a drop of good luck, but it's about having a goal and working toward it. At some point he tells his son, "Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't do something -not even me." I loved it. At the end, on the screen it tells how he ends up many, many years later-and how well he did for himself.-Alyssa

On_Call

Alyssa,

husband and I rented this movie a few weekends ago. It was amazing, wasn't it? I tell people it was almost painful watching this man go through all that he went through to get where he wanted to be. You are right - he NEVER caught a break. Talk about a having a rhino skin.

The transit bathroom scenes were heartbreaking. I would love to know what his son turned out to accomplish.

mattsmom27

I loved this story and it hit very close to home for me. I was homeless for a very long time as a young teenage runaway (from foster care). I met some very amazing and strong people in that time. Flash forward till I had a very young difficult child. I was given a amazing opportunity for a job normally way out of my league in Toronto. It was a chance of a lifetime and to this day it is the proudest accomplishment in my entire life. I accepted it. Unfortunatly taking this job left a gap in when income would come in, and left me homeless with a child. I spent one night in a mass shelter, horrible experience, thankfully difficult child cannot remember as he was so young. I then fought for a won the right to stay in the burbs at a different type of shelter, a very nice former 5 story fancy hotel converted into "mini apartments" that was in fact a shelter. No rent, weekly $$ issued for groceries, small communal kitchens with limited in-apartment cooking. It was meant to be a hand up rather than a hand out for those in a bad jam but motivated to get to a better place. It was a humbling experience for me, waiting each Friday for my food $$$ allowance, using their in house free daycare center, watching all these other families who were working long hours, struggling to earn enough money for their own homes and to build a better life for their children. I lived there for over 2 months, and on my second to last day living there was picked up by a chaufeur in a limo to take me to a network station for a interview for the national morning news program as part of my job. I felt like a freak, going on national t.v. to speak of the project I was working on, picked up in a stretch limo at a homeless shelter. The next day when I moved out I wept , for the blessing the shelter offered me with dignity and respect, the chance to keep my son with me while accepting such an amazing job, and the wonder at all the other dedicated parents trying to ensure a wonderful future for their families.
This movie is a must see in my mind. I had no idea it was a book as well. I will be making sure I head to the bookstore tomorrow!

Wiped Out

Staff member
husband, easy child, and I all saw it. We thought it was a very good movie. Of course, I cried and easy child was laughing at me until she started crying at a later part of the movie.