The poo just hit the fan here...sigh

DammitJanet

Got a call from Jamie about 1pm...asked me if I had heard what happened at Cory's. My heart just sank. I could hardly breathe. I managed to say no...what.

Seems someone broke in and robbed Cory's house at gunpoint. Cory wasnt home but Mandy and one of her girlfriends were. The robbers stole all their money. I dont think they got anything else such as the tv's. Just money. Cory came home not long afterwards and called the cops then called Jamie in an uproar. Cory wants to kill someone...of course. These people took a lot of money from him. Mandy has just started working and she just got paid plus she is graduating in a week and just got some early graduation money.

Then to top it off, his landlord saw him call the cops and his landlord came and gave him an eviction notice for having the cops there! WTH! Like this is his fault. He has paid his rent every month on time and hasnt had loud parties or anything. He always makes sure his house is in bed and shut down every night by 10. No late night visitors. No thumpity thump thump cars late at night. He worried about things like that. Now he has to move and all that. He is ticked. I am ticked. He was doing so well.

Thank god this didnt happen yesterday when Keyana was there!

He now actually has some furniture that they have accumulated and a fridge and stove. He has an offer to go live with a friend of Mandy's in their doublewide so he didnt call on us...thank god. But I expect we will be storing their stuff.

I do know one thing...I will be sleeping with the 30/30 loaded by my bed for a few weeks...lol.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Did he sign a lease? because I don't think the landlord can kick him out for that... Now I wouldn't want to live there after the landlord pulled that stunt but he might be able to at least get deposit back/maybe small $ amount for damages. Oh. And apparently the place wasn't secure which is the landlord's problem.

I agree, I am glad K. wasn't there either.

DammitJanet

I know he signed a lease because he just resigned it. I will have to take a look at that lease. I cant remember if there was a security deposit or not.

This is a weird trailer park and was a very weird situation going in. He was kind of a rent to own situation. This guy has some very old, run down, barely (well unlivable) mobile homes that he "rents" to people on the condition that they get them rent able before they move in. Like the home Cory got had holes in the floor and needed new carpeting or other type flooring put in before it could possibly be rented out. If Cory did that, he could rent the trailer for $125 a month plus water and fix it up more while he lived in it for 5 years and then he would own it but at the end of the 5 years he had to move it someplace. Like onto his own land. Well this thing is a POS really. We figured he would never last 5 years or it wouldnt last 5 years. If it did last that long we could always just bring it over onto our land because we do have an extra septic tank that isnt being used. It could always be used as storage.

But now, hell, we want our wood back that we put into that floor! It hasnt been all that long that he has been there! Not even a year. He moved in last october.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay first of all - I am SO glad that Mandy and "friend"were no hurt.....because being robbed of KNOWN cash at gunpoint ? Janet this just stinks like an almost inside job to high heaven. Someone talking about I got some money and someone overheard them - do you trust this friend of Mandys?

That being said - I think if Cory went down to the landlord with a police report and explained to this man that they were robbed at gun point - for no apparent reason it may keep him where he's at. I HATE that thought of him doing so well and then having to move - it's not fair or right at all. I wish someone short arms and lots of no-seems in the private parts.

I keep telling Dude the SAME exact thing - KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT about when payday is, how much you made - I don't care WHO is sitting in the room - someone will tell - even little kids have good and bad parents - and yet he still announces how much he'll be getting - idiot. NO ONE's business.

Overall I'm glad the girls were not hurt and most of all that K wasn't there. OMG I hope your cops are better than ours - and I know that anger - you don't steal something from these boys - you can't make them see that it's just stuff - and going to kill someone isn't worth not seeing their children or families or freedom.

Need me to send a big ole dog?

Sorry - and.......trying to avoid the poo fan wind.

Hugs

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am so sorry. Hoover up the poo and don't let Cory over react! Try to get him to keep his head together.
I am also glad everyone is OK.
Don't let this stress you our too much either, you need your stability as well.

DammitJanet

Star...you are so exactly so dead on right! I have the same thoughts...inside job. I know with every fiber its someone he knows. Has to be. Thats why I said Im sleeping with my gun...lol. If they know him, they know I am momma. They all call me momma. He has the idiocy to bring these fools to my house. And most probably they know that I am holding some of his money by now. What they dont know is that I dont put up with fools well. I will shoot.

Oh...I have a big pit puppy in my yard and a really barky little dog in the house. Quite the alarm system...lol.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well then, it is with a heavy heart for my nephew that I say in truth -

WHATEVER it cost you this time to learn to keep your mouth shut about whatever money you or Mandy have - then it was worth it.

Next time - they could come take your money, harm her irrepairably, take more stuff from your home and you'd be without a home, a wife, things, AND money.

This is a very expensive lesson in keeping a tight lipped ship.

I feels sorry for the fool who had no money yesterday and paid his light bill and has beer today - Cory WILL figure this out - and someone IS going to get hurt.

But I think the friend of Mandys had EVERYTHING to do with it.......I would bet she even texted someone or gave a signal as to when these robbers could come in the house - THAT I would bet on.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Let's not be sexist here. ;) Perhaps Mandy has the loose lips? Okay, stop laughing.........but it could be true.

I'm glad everyone is safe, Janet. I hope this gets solved without an eviction or violence.

Hugs,
Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet I'm betting inside job as well. And don't blame you for sleeping with extra protection.

Maybe if Cory won't listen to you, then Jamie can run the fact home to him that this is why *adults* don't brag/talk about money this way. Painful way to learn the lesson, but it could've been much much worse. (you know me, I can think of at least a dozen versions of worse case senerio)

If Cory has a lease......and a lease to own.......I don't think landlord has a leg to stand on. Cory had a valid reason to have the cops at his place. Perhaps he may need to ask landlord what sort of scams he's running that he's nervous when cops are around?? If nothing else he should fight it long enough to make certain he has a good place for him and Mandy to go to. It takes about 3 months to be evicted.....sometimes up to 6 months. Depends on how fast the courts are, and odds are Cory could get it stopped with a police report.

Sigh. I hope Cory calms down and realizes that while he got hurt in his pocket, he came out on top this time. He may not the 2nd time around. And I hope your law there is better than here. (here they wouldn't even bother to look)

((hugs))

DammitJanet

No one got hurt. I think Mandy and "friend" are acting oddly but that may just be me. Cory is ticked off but acting oddly adult about the whole thing. Cops here most likely wont try to find the robbers too awfully hard but who knows. Cory yelled and pitched a fit for a short time but then calmed down....much more quickly than you would think. He actually came over here for dinner and his main worries are where he is gonna live and how his landlord can do this and if he has to go somewhere else what he is gonna do with his stuff. He desperately doesnt want to come back here. We dont want him back here and he knows it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm keeping Cory in my GOOD thoughts tonight -

I'm not doing HUGE POSITIVE VIBES - that really kills a post lol.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I know this may sound weird (and I'm very glad that no one was hurt) but I'm also glad that it was something that happened TO him and not BECAUSE of him. I read the title and was scared to read the entire post.

Again, I'm so glad no one was hurt but big kudos to Cory for being adult about the whole situation. Hopefully the police will be able to do something. And yes, things sound a bit hinky to me too as far as it being an "inside" job. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mandy is acting odd only because she is still a bit freaked. After everything she and Cory have been through, I'm really hoping she wasn't involved also because I'm in agreement.....the "friend" doesn't sound like a friend.

And the landlord? What a putz. Daisy is right....WHY is he so paranoid about having the cops? Granted, landlords don't like drama but geesh.....it wasn't CORY'S fault he got robbed! (ok....running his mouth didn't help but still) I hope there is something in the lease that can help the situation.

DammitJanet

Stang....you cant imagine how my heart stopped beating when Jamie asked me if I had heard what went on at Cory's. I think a 100 different things went through my mind in about 30 seconds. I could hardly croak out "what"? Not one of my scenarios was good either...lol. The fact that Jamie was calling me didnt help either. I almost expected it to be Cory was dead. Really.

gottaloveem

It does sound like Cory is handling this like an adult.
I'm so sorry this happened to them.
They have been trying so hard.

By the way, my heart sank too when I read "did you hear what happened at Cory's last night." I can imagine the pure fear that must've ran through your veins.

Lia

donna723

I'm so glad too that no one was hurt, but it does sound rather strange. Is this girl a good friend of Mandys, someone she's known for a long time? Did this person take anything from her, or just from Mandy? It sounds strange too that they didn't take anything else, just money. If neither one of them had anything to do with it, it could have been someone Mandy works with who knew that she just got paid. If it was completely at random, it doesn't seem that they would choose to rob someone living in an old broken down trailer if they were looking for money! They would go somewhere that looked a little more 'prosperous'. It sounds a lot more like someone who knew that she just got paid and may have even known about the graduation money.

And the landlord sounds like a total schmuck! Cory should stay put unless and until he is legally forced to move out! Don't you have to have a good reason to evict someone? Being a victim of a crime and calling the police would hardly qualify! And it could be too that this 'landlord' is running a total scam on his tenants! I wonder if anyone has ever made it the whole five years and actually ended up owning the mobile home they had been living in? It could very well be that he buys up old, unliveable trailers, rents them out to people who badly need a place to live, then his tenants supply all the labor and materials to make the trailer decent again, then he throws the tenants out! He's collected rent from them all those months, plus he got the trailer renovated at no cost to him, and now he can turn around and sell it for a lot more than what he paid for it! Pretty slick!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am very glad no one was hurt. And that Cory is acting oddly adult about it all.

What are the chances that Mandy wants to leave Cory but wants some cash to finance her new start? Or that the friend was really a guy and they cooked the story up together? and just had a female friend say she was there?

Maybe I am too paranoid, but when you said Mandy was acting oddly ALL my antenna stood at attention.

As for the landlord, it sure sounds like a scam or that the landlord has some big illegal stuff going on. And with the police report I don't think the landlord CAN evict him. At the very LEAST there will be a court date on the eviction notice and you can go to court and fight the eviction. If the eviction is in spite of having a lease and is because the cops came when Cory and Mandy were VICTIMS, well, even if the landlord shows up he won't win.

And Cory has better luck with the court system to let a little thing like a landlord bother him, LOL!

If the work was done to the property using materials the landlord did NOT pay for, and labor was NOT paid for, then Cory should be able to put a lien against the property (including the land the trailer is on) for the full value of the labor and materials. I know because when we sold our 1st home eons ago the guy who bought it repaired where the chimney was sagging away before he moved in or had ANY papers signed. Well, he did sign papers waiving any and all liens on the property for any repairs he did before closing.

You can bet I was glad I had those lien waivers signed cause the guy had a heart attack the night before closing and died on the table twice before they were done. He lived, and later did buy the property, but it was very touch and go. And we NEEDED that sale to go through.

So make sure Cory (or you if you can) calls the court where the eviction is filed and he FIGHTS to at LEAST get paid for the materials and labor he put in on the house. I am sure he and Tony can ballpark the costs.

Hugs!