The psychiatrist visit

JLady

A ship lost in the night
The appointment with the child psychiatrist went well. Finally someone that would talk to me! We spent about 2 hours with her and I liked her. She said difficult child definately has ADHD but totally disagrees with the Opositional Defiance Disorder (ODD) diagnoises. A lot of his frustration is coming from the ADHD. She said he does have some sort of mood disorder but it is hard to determine in a short amount of time exactly what the disorder is. She said he has self esteem issues and he is not happy (I knew this). He also needs to develop social skills (I knew this too).

She added a medication to what he is already taking. One that will help him sleep and is a mood stabelizer. It's called Rispudel (sp?) She also recommends counseling for him to see what is going on in that little head of his.

I hope we are on the right track now. She also mentioned not to push the reading. Encourage him but when he gets frustrated, drop it. he will come around in his own time.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's likely Risperdal. My difficult child 2 took it around the same age to help with aggression. It helped for several years, but as his mood disorder evolved, his medication needs changed. Risperdal is sedating, and it increases appetite so for some kids it causes weight gain. When difficult child 2 was on it, he was also taking a higher dose of stimulant for his ADHD, and the two medications sort of balanced out his appetite so he didn't over or under eat.

Glad you liked the psychiatrist -- I hope she's able to help your difficult child. You might look into a social skills group at his school. My difficult child 2 has these services provided out of his IEP, but prior to that he was also given this one year when he had a 504 plan.

JLady

A ship lost in the night
GCVMOM, I'm encouarged to hear you liked the medications. He is taking it for the agression. He concentrates on school work now but is still hitting classmates. He gets so angry and also so emotional (as in crying) some times. She said he sounds depressed as well. I think the medicine is suppose to help with that too. I give it to him at night and it should help him get to sleep easier too. I hope it is a great combination for him.

Because he isn't having any major side affects from the Vyvanse, she wants to leave him on that and just try adding the other for now. She did say that could change.

Jena

I'm really glad that you feel good about the visit and it does sound like you are totally on the right path.

I agree with the reading thing also, it's taken me time to learn with my difficult child when to push and when to slow it up a bit.

crazymama30

Glad the visit went well, and hope the medication change helps. We have never done risperdal here, so no experience with it. I know it has been widely used in children.

JLady

A ship lost in the night
I have one wound up birthday boy around here tonight. We started the new medication tonight (just half a pill). The psychiatrist said it would help him sleep. LOL He's just as wound up as ever! Probably because of all the excitement of his birthday. It was a pretty good day. My little guy is so special. I just want him to be ok. Thanks for the support.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Glad to hear you found a doctor that you like! That makes such a difference.

I'm not that familiar with your story but you mentioned that your guy has reading issues. One thing I did with my difficult child when he was younger, and this may not apply to your situation, was to make him a kind of guide. He would go too fast and sometimes skip words and whole sentences. I found though, that if he used something to cover everything but the line he was reading, he did much better. Depending on what the issue is with your son, you may want to try something similar. For example, if he's having trouble with the words, you may make something that only shows a word at a time so he can sound things out without the distraction of the other words around it.

Like I said, just an idea. I don't know what his issue is but you never know.

JLady

A ship lost in the night
Mstang... his issue isn't that he can't read. His issue is that he "thinks" he can't read so he doesn't even try. It takes a lot to get him going if he thinks the book is too complicated. Once he gets going, he is fine. The teachers and I feel it is more of an issue of confidence than lack of ability. He is in special reading classes at school now that help.

Yesterday they were doing bench mark testing and he got hung up on one question that he didn't understand. The situation esculated to him hitting another student (which he feels was staring at his paper and seeing that he couldn't read it) and then he had to be removed from the class room. Once with the principal she was able to calm him down. She read him the question and he told her that it didn't make sense. In talking with her today she said that it really didn't make sense to her either. My difficult child was not able to let it go. He insisted on understanding before he could move on. It's his frustration.

TerryJ2

I'm glad you like the psychiatrist, Jlady. They can be so interesting and informative.

I should have asked our psychiatrist about Risperdal. Didn't even occur to me. I forgot to write it down. Once you get past 40 ...

So sorry about the school issue. I can see how he'd get hung up on it but I am sorry he got frustrated and hit the other student.
Let us know how it goes. I hope he gets some sleep tonight.
Happy birthday!

Feeling Helpless

Oldie but Goodie
The psychiatrist put my difficult child on Risperdal 5 weeks ago and he is 7. She upped his Concerta during the day to 54 mg. and he is doing much better in school. The first 2 weeks he was on the Risperdal he was like a different child. No meltdowns at all. It did nothing to improve his sleep. She has him on the 0.5 mg.The 2nd 2 weeks he started to have meltdowns again.He got very fidgety and having some attitude again.

When we took him back to the psychiatrist she left his dosage the same but has him now take one pill at 4 and one and a half at 7. It does help some but now he has begun to make strange noises a lot and is still very hyper at night. Still no meltdowns though. He has developed more fears. His appetite has greatly increased. It still does nothing for his sleeping and she suggested to try melotonin. It does help him sleep but takes a while to work. Just thought I would share our experience with the medications.

Marguerite

JLady, your son sounds very perseverative. You can get this with ADHD, we get it with the combo of ADHD plus autism. It really does add to the frustration (theirs and yours). And you can't really do much about it, except teach him to find other ways around a problem (not easy - he's male, as well - triple whammy).

difficult child 3 will now move on when he's stuck on an exam question, but it's taken years to get him to do this.

I would seriously consider getting a detailed Speech Pathology assessment done on him - if he's reading well but has poor confidence, it could be language-based rather than reading-based.

In the meantime, what will help A LOT (and again, it's the opposite of how we were raised) -

1) What you're already doing - don't pressure him too hard to read especially if the book is involved or complex;

2) encourage him to use a dictionary and thesaurus, show him how and show him how it can be fun (I used to look up a word, then I would look up words given by the dictionary as the meaning, to see how closely it brought me back to the beginning word);

3) COMIC BOOKS are fabulous. They teach the language as dialogue, you get the context as well as the language itself. Plus they can be short and funny, or long and involving. You can find comic books that are deep and meaningful, targetting older teens or even adults, or you can find the really simple ones. They've been really useful for difficult child 3, even though he could read fluently as a toddler. Asterix has been wonderful (difficult child 3 even began reading some of the foreign language versions). We're now getting him to read the Discworld comic book versions. He also reads manga.

4) DVDs with subtitles - again, it shows the look of the word, he hers the sound of the word, he learns the context of the word.

5) We would read books together, one of us would do the dialogue while the other did the rest of the text (like stage directions). Or we would take a different character each. We had to read with expression, try to put on funny voices, for example. It became a fun game that was just ours to enjoy. If he's reluctant, then begin with a fairly short book and YOU read it to him, and YOU do all the characters. Make it fun and funny, ham it up. If nothing else, it should give him confidence to one day make a fool of himself too, without feeling embarrassed.

I hope the risperdal works OK for him. Watch for sleepiness and weight gain. It mightn't be a problem; or it might. We found that the added weight came off again, when the child stopped the risperdal.

Something else that can work - breathing exercises, including learning to breathe from the diaphragm and taking 6 seconds to breathe out and six seconds to breathe in.

There are a lot of things you can do, at home and free from expensive therapy. That's not to devalue therapy, just that some things you can begin on your own.

have confidence in your skills as a parent, as well as your desire to be on the stage - use it to brighten your lives with some hamming up, and have fun! It's also darn good therapy!

Marg