The Rainbow Bridge

Kathy813

Staff member
What wonderful pictures you have to remember your beloved Molly. She had a long, happy life and it was time for her to cross the bridge. You did the right thing. Here is something that comforted me when it was time for our Abby to cross the rainbow bridge.

Dogs Don't Have Souls, Do They?

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this was your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day, and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap, looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older, you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll, and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up at me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last time, you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No, thank you for taking care of me."
~Kathy

Lisa, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Molly. She looked like such a sweet dog. Hugs.

TerryJ2

Ohh, I'm sorry, Lisa. Reading about the vet crying brought tears to my eyes, strangely enough. They're usually so professional and stoic.
Rest in peace, Molly.
Know that you were a wonderful mom, Lisa. Hugs.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dearest Hound,

It is with my utmost sympathy that I send all the love and hugs I can. Molly was a loving, caring, sweet, soulful best friend. I am deeply saddend for your loss at this time, and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers for support and healing of your huge Mommy heart. I can only imagine the pain you are working through at this time = but know like Fred - they're never far from you, and now neither are in pain.

Many hugs and love always -
Star

Lisa,

I'm so very sorry for your loss... It's wonderful that you were able to be with Molly, hug her, as she crossed over the bridge... I'm positive she felt all the love you have for her in those final moments.

I've been crying into my coffee cup but the tears are not just tears of sorrow, they're also tears of relief, for you, for Molly... You gave Molly one final gift, allowing her to cross the bridge, surrounded by your love. This last gift, while the hardest one to give, is the most loving gift of all.

Thank you for sharing some of her pictures with us. Not only can I tell how very much you love her, but also how much she loved her family. Her eyes say it all....

Sending you strength... Lots of hugs... love... SFR

Jody

I have a kind of strange story to tell you. 4 years ago, my best friend Buddy (cat) died. I got him when he was about 6 weeks old and we had him till he was 14. The day came and he passed to Rainbow Bridge. I was with him and so was difficult child when we took him to the vet to be put to sleep. I was devastated, as you know the loss of a beloved pet/companion can devastate someone. I began to have dreams, and the more I dreamed of him, the more I asked for him to come to me in my dreams. One night before bed, I was saying my prayers and included a request that he visit me in my dreams. I would dream of him in almost everytime that I asked for him to. It was very very strange. This night I had a beautiful imagine of what I thought Rainbow Bridge would be. I can't remember everything but it was amazing and I called for Buddy because I couldnt see him, and then I saw him he was running to get to me on top of the wood fence. I remebered that he jumped to me and I woke up, I tried to go back to sleep but couldn't. I knew he was well and moving around like a young cat. Many times after that I would say to him, Hey Boy it's time for a visit, and most of the time he would come. Strange I know, but I don't care it worked for me and was a comfort.

Nancy

Lisa I'm so sorry for your loss and the hole in your heart. My own fuzzbutt is 13 and moving very slowly and I know I will have to face this day in the near future. Sending understanding hugs.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm doing ok. Actually much better than I thought I'd be doing. I think because I know beyond a doubt Molly's life was as full and happy as any furbaby's life could possibly be. I knew too that she was suffering and it was time to say goodbye. I've known for a while now that the time was drawing near, I'd just hoped that I could be strong enough to let her go and be with her when that time arrived. I'm so glad that I was able to do that for her.

Jody, I have no trouble believing you. "Strange" has become normal around here, after a while you just accept what is instead of questioning it. Know what I mean??

I didn't include this moment in the original post because.......well, yesterday it made me too weepy to type. After the sedative the vet had given her had finally worked and Molly was relaxed in my arms.....not asleep, she never did doze off although with the dose he gave her she should've been out cold........as he was administering the actual anesthetic.....he'd gotten a couple of cc's in and her tail began to wag. I mean really wag. Startled both the vet tech and the vet (he paused in giving her the injection and said," OMG her tail is wagging! I've never seen such a thing!" ). I think that totally undid his professional decorum. At that moment when her tail wagged so hard, I knew Fred had come. I knew he was in the room. I could feel him standing next to me. Molly was just happy to see him again. So her Mommy was on this side letting her go and her Daddy was on the other side to greet her.

Maggie, oddly enough, is not missing Molly. It's strange because she adores Molly. But I think I know why. Not too long after I got home Maggie went to the baby gate at the living room door. (I still have it up cuz she likes to snitch books from the bookcase and play with them if I'm not in there with her) I saw her out of the corner of my eye, then turned to watch her. Maggie knew that Molly had not come home with us. Maggie's tail suddenly started to wag and she kept cocking her head funny as if she was trying to figure out who was in the living room. No barks or anything.....but she kept moving back and forth along the gate peering into the room as if it had an occupant. Next thing I know, she's bounding around the dining room tossing toys up into the air and flinging them around like I've never seen her do before. I tried to play with her thinking she wanted to play, but (out of character) Maggie wanted nothing to do with me. It was as if she were playing with another dog I just couldn't see. That went on for more than an hour. Happened again later in the evening. Maybe I'm crazy but I think Molly came to visit Maggie and stayed to play a while.

I think on the other side she is like she was at about 1-2 yrs old. It makes me smile.

S

Signorina

Lisa - now my eyes are really leaky. I needed to read this. I don't even know why....but on the coldest day of the year with a drudgery of work tasks in my near future, I am so glad to know there is more to life than "this". Not that life on earth isn't joyous, but sometimes it's just so overwhelming... {{{hugs}}}

InsaneCdn

Remember back when you first got Maggie? And it looked like Molly was going to slip away at that point?
I'm pretty sure Molly pulled out all the stops to "hang in there" for a few more months, as her last gift to you - she wanted to "mother" Maggie for you - give you the best possible pup she could, before she left. And it looks like she accomplished what she set out to do.

{{hugs}}

Calamity Jane

I'm so happy you're doing well today, and thank you for sharing your experiences from the other day. What a heartwarming, reassuring feeling you shared about "crossing over" and Fred, and Mollie coming back to visit. Made my day, for sure. Thanks again.

DammitJanet

Lisa, this is by one of my favorite singer/songwriters who I go see every summer. You may remember me talking about going. Cory actually cried in the theater when he heard him sing this. Hope you love it as much as we do.

DammitJanet

I love Jason Matthews. He is such a great singer and songwriter. He wrote Must be doing Something right which made him an instant sensation. Of course one of my favorites is Thats What mama's do.

You can listen to a few of his songs. He has a bunch of others. He is one of the ones I look most forward to seeing when I go to the concert in the summer.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm sorry that you lost your sweetie but she isn't suffering. I never knew I could grieve for a pet as I did for Honeysue then Cowboy. I hope you are content to know you did the best you could for her. It's all any of us can do. Hugs.