The secret is out

Californiablonde

Well I finally broke down and told the boyfriend I'm bipolar. He took it quite well. I didn't scare him off like I thought I would. He wanted to know what I'm like when I'm manic. I was very careful with my explanation. I told him I'm highly sexual, get irritable, don't sleep, and get very talkative. He thought that sounded not so bad (especially the sex part!) Truth is when I'm manic, besides the sex stuff and lots of energy, I also turn into a big raving argumentative b****. Normally I as sweet, shy, and soft spoken. When I'm manic I'm loud and aggressive. Definitely not the person he fell in love with. Still, he wants to see me manic. Wants to know what it's like. Oh boy he really has no idea. Thanks to Geodon I haven't been manic in four years. Hopefully it stays that way, or he's gonna find out the hard way. I am just relieved I finally told him and he didn't make a big huge deal out of it. What a weight lifted off my shoulders.

InsaneCdn

CB... THESE are the things that will make a long-term difference to your anxiety. This is one less major rock hanging over your head. It's in the open, and you are free to be yourself.
Good job.

buddy

i think he must not understand how serious this is. you have a family to be stable for, he shouldnt be saying stuff like that (wanting to see you manic) in my humble opinion (unless he was kidding, still a little odd but better) im glad he didnt leave but sounds like he needs education as time goes on....probably not all at once, smile.

Californiablonde

Yeah I think he was joking. All I had to do is mention the word "sex" and he perked right up, lol. I did tell him that once I'm manic I eventually crash into a pretty bad depression, so he knows that mania isn't all fun and games. There's other stuff I still haven't told him yet. I haven't told him I'm a recovering cutter. I have a lot of scars on my wrists and maybe he's seen them and just hasn't said anything about them, I don't know. But for now I'm going to reveal things slowly to him so I don't bombard him with too much negative info all at once.

witzend

Did you tell him about being argumentative/irritable? In my experience with BiPolar (BP) friends and family, that should be the first clue, but if people don't know about it they can misread it, and it can hinder intervention. It's a biggie...

DammitJanet

LOL Witz...yeah they love the sex part but for the most part being irritable is a real bummer and being irritable happens more often than sex!

Californiablonde

Didn't tell him about the irritability. I'm hoping if I go manic around him I can hide the irritable part (yeah right) but you never know. So far out of all the boyfriends I've had he is the least irritating. But that could change. He probably wouldn't believe me if I told him I can get argumentative. We have been going out for eleven months now and we have only had a couple disagreements. Not really arguments, just a difference in opinion. Right now I'm in the middle of a depression and when I'm depressed I never argue. I go out of my way not to argue or cause problems. My kids love it when I'm depressed. They can give me major attitude and most of the time I just let it roll off my back. I hate confrontation right now, even though my kids really need it sometimes.