the sudden passing of a loved one

Lothlorien

We've had four deaths in four years. Today, Aunt C was supposed to meet us for brunch this afternoon. She never showed up. We had dinner with her on Tuesday and she told us she would be there today. She was supposed to go out to dinner with friends last night at 5. She apparently never showed. They spoke to her at 3.

We drove to her house and entered, calling her name. I found her on the floor by her kitchen table. It was awful.

My kids and I have gotten so close to her over the last 2 years. We were the only family she had, so we made her welcome at everything. She took care of the kids when I had to work. She'd take them to Friendly's and then get frozen yogurt afteward. She loved my kids and they loved her. The kids are really sad.

I have never been on this end of death...having to make arrangements, go through her things, make phone calls. I called her one friend who simply fell apart on the phone. I felt so bad.

husband feels guilty for not going over there to clean her gutters yesterday, but I told him that there is no way that he could have prevented this. From all appearances, she probably had a massive heart attack. He would have left there in the early afternoon and this would have happened anyway.

She has a cat who I need to find a home for too. We can't take him.....Missy's allergies are horrible with cats.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh, honey!!!!! I can't imagine. How are YOU holding up?

:hugs: I wish I had something wise and helpful to say... But... I don't, just I'm here...

busywend

I am so sorry for your loss. Did she have a will or funeral plans made? That is the first order of business. Hugs!

Lothlorien

Will was set up. No funeral plans...we will deal with that tomorrow. Very small. Not much family or many friends. I'm doing okay....just really sad. She's been a major part of our lives for the past few years.

DDD

Please accept my condolences. I have been spared much contact but always I feel that it is a blessing when someone passes with-o the trauma of prolonged discomfort or institutional living. Hugs. DDD

buddy

Very sad. I am just so sorry. She sounds like a beautiful person who will be missed. Thinking of you as you say goodbye.