The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow...

tiredmommy

Tonight is opening night!!!! Duckie is in the orphan ensemble for a local theatre company. She alternates shows with another girl as a named orphan (July). I'm so proud of her... she's worked so very hard! Let's all wish her, the rest of the cast & crew "Break A Leg!"

T

TeDo

Break a Leg Duckie!!! easy child/difficult child was in our community theater's production of Annie. It is so fun watching our kids strut the "talent" they have and have other people recognize it. Beam with PRIDE Mom!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Hooray for Duckie! I love the theatre, always hoped Oldest would get into it with her flare for drama, but no go there. I know you're a proud stage mom!!

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone, we really appreciate the support! I posted this on my FB page and wanted to share it here, too:

Duckie and I have spent a lot of time recently talking about the Great Depression (and what lead up to it) since she was cast in Annie this spring. My father was born during the Depression and his father was raised in an orphanage in London. All my grandparents emigrated from abroad. We've talked about war in Europe, the dustbowl, and the great market crash. We've talked about the suffering of average Americans... ragged, hungry and homeless. Living in a shanty.

We've talked about the importance of hope and optimism... of finding solutions rather than finding blame. And Duckie, in the sort of wisdom that only a child can possess, said we need more hope today... and more kindness and less blame.

You think when your child is starting an activity that they will learn and grow and have fun. And she has... but we've gained a lot more than that too. She understands more about her family, is caring more toward those that are suffering.

What an uplifting experience this has been!

donna723

Sometimes we forget how much our kids DON'T know because they are so young. Studying it in school just isn't the same as hearing it from someone who really lived through those days. I grew up hearing my parents and grandparents talking about getting through the Depression and how difficult it was. I'm still working on my big family tree on Ancestry.com and some of the things you can find just on the official records from that period are heartbreaking. There are children who were farmed out to other relatives to raise because their parents couldn't afford to feed them and others who went to work as "servants" in other people's houses at age 13 or 14 to earn their own keep. Today's kids really have no idea.

My own kids studied the civil rights movement in school but of course are too young to have lived through it. For them, things have never been any different than they are now. My son and I got in to a big discussion about it one day and I explained in great detail how things were living in a small southern town in the late 50's/early 60's. He was shocked and horrified! He thought he knew but he really didn't have a clue.

svengandhi

Oh, congratulations.

I love Annie. My daughter played Molly (the littlest orphan) in 6th grade, easy child played FDR when he was in 6th grade and baby boy held the back curtain closed so the audience couldn't see the cast waiting in the wings when HE was in 6th grade.

I love the music - It's a Hard Knock Life is so cute.

You guys are right, our kids have no clues about the Depression. although I'm afraid they might get reason to learn.

tiredmommy

"A nation that forgets its past is doomed to repeat it." - Sir Winston Churchill

I do agree that our kids don't fully understand nor appreciate or collective history. Of course, many adults don't either. :hammer: