The things they (literally) leave behind...

so ready to live

Hi Walrus-so familiar.
It is so sad how little is left of her life and how little value she puts into it. I know a life is not made up of things, but to me having my own home, my own bed, my own possessions and my own routines is a huge part of where I get my sense of security. It would not matter how much or how little I had - I cannot imagine walking away from it without a backward glance. It is like she has no connection to anyone or anything.
I always thought my son left his things because he left angry and quickly. Now, that I see how common this is, I wonder if he was always like this. I really can't remember him ever valuing anything. Certainly now he doesn't value people or things.

It really is sad how our d_c's can just walk away from their belongings.
We have a basement room with his stuff which we packed up after he left, I couldn't just leave it in his room, or it would seem then as if I expected or accepted him back. As I look at the pile I'm aware you could buy it all at goodwill for less than $100. Really I just don't throw it out because I don't want to anger him, bad reason but true.

I had a few more episodes over the years (don't get me started on the guitar) but eventually learned that my son as I'm sure with many others do not appreciate or hold the value important of having things in their lives.
More true words were never spoken. We also had a guitar episode or two or three..."Given away", smashed to pieces or pawned...that too was our dream-that he would find solace in music and he was really good but he chose differently. Again and again. Thank you all for letting me know I'm not alone.