The Timer will be the death of me yet

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I studied for this entrance exam the last 2 times. But no where near like I'm studying for it this time. I wake up and start studying while I'm still having my coffee. The books aren't put away until around 8pm...and twice now I've picked them up again later and studied until around 2 am.

The first try I was pretty c ocky, believing that I make excellent grades and would pass with no hoo hoo. Afterall, I knew several not very book smart people who had passed it without too much effort.

The 2nd time I was determined to get the Math learned so I could pass it. The math was the only thing I'd done bad in the first time around. And I was equally certain not to hit the back button thus throwing myself out of the test whereby shooting myself in the foot. I studied Math for a week, and went over my notes on other subjects.

Only problem was.......that test was in some other rhelm than the first one.:faint: I swear, the two weren't even on the same acedemic level. And honestly, I'm surprised I missed it by only 2 pts. Cuz that test was every test takers worst nightmare!!:anxious:

This time around I'm neither c ocky or confident. I'm right there with everyone else. I'm scared to death. Reading is ok. Language not bad, neither is spelling as long as I pay attention. (I hate the way they set up the words)

Sciences...General (I swear to God can be any question they happen to think of) Life, which is almost as bad, Chemistry.......OMG I'm having to re-learn every formula I ever learned along with everything else we had last year........biology doesn't usually worry me except it's over stuff I had last year and I'm scared I'm going to forget to look over something..... The sciences are tough. GULP Yup. But science happens to be my thing. Thankfully. So I'm coping.

But the Math!!! Ok. I'm getting it. But I'm too darn slow!! I practice the Math every day for hours. Then take the practice tests online so I can get used to doing it with that frimpin clock ticking away. And I've yet to make it thru the test without the time running out. :angry-very:

What sadist came up with the idea to put a timer on a Math test??? Oh, and not just any math test.......But one that covers every possible type of friggin math you've had throughout your entire life and haven't used since you were in high school the first time bell bottoms went out of style!

College algebra? No help. Why? Because we were required to do all the math on a calculator because that's how it's done in the real world. I can do this stuff (ok still working on percents) on a calculator. But with pencil and paper.....long division scares the crappola out of me. I didn't learn it in school, I taught myself thru trial and error as a grown up. It's not old hat to me. ugh!! I see a long division problem and I go brain dead because the old panic sets in.

I guess I should be grateful fractions and decimals no longer send me blubbering into a corner. :rofl: *sarcastic laughter here*

easy child is coming over to help me tomorrow afternoon and I'm gonna feel like such a dummy. How did I ever get thru Math as a minor in hs and never have this stuff?? Um....well. As it turns out, I have my own weird way of doing Math that compensated for never learning the right way, but it doesn't work with a timer. It takes too long. :( And I've never, in all the years of Math......even thru hs algebra and geometry ever been able to work a word problem. And not due to lack of trying. A word problem can reduce me to tears in less than ten seconds.

And if you haven't guessed by now........YES I'm panicking!!! I've soaked 90.00 into this test already. 90.00 we don't have to waste. Not to mention 2 1/2 years of school loans. I'm upset that I already failed twice. (upset isn't quite the word I'm looking for) Just the thought of the possibilty of failing it yet again is too much.

I try telling myself there are other options. I can do the LPN. I've already passed it for that. I can do repiratory therapy, already passed for that too. I can do the paramedic. All good. Great. Wonderful.

I'm not sure I know how to put how I feel into words.

While those other choices are great. And I am glad I have them. At the moment they don't matter. Passing this test is all that matters. (guess you didn't know I could be so anal over something, huh?) I've got to pass this test. Period. It's something I have to do for me.

Why? Because I failed it. Because the woman who cheated on every frimping test in anatomy....who can't even say the words in chemistry or anatomy......who nearly failed algebra......PASSED that frimping test!!!:mad: And I hate to say it because it makes me sound like a petty person, but it gets under my skin to no end that someone who cheats to pass and is not bright enough to keep the difference between superior and inferior or her femur and her radius straight in her head...passed the d amn thing and I can't. God forgive me but it makes me want to strangle her. What's worse is she is actually a nice person. ugh!

Another reason......... before the truck hit me I could've passed it hands down without studying, timer or no d amn timer. But my lovely head injury makes remembering things harder, and keeping numbers in my head a monumental task. Let's just say......I know how Nichole feels.

So I'm spending 12-14 or more hours a day with my nose in a book. Actually, as long as it's taken to vent in this post is the longest I've had my nose out of a book since Tuesday evening, except to sleep. The family has pretty much stopped talking to me because I don't hear them anyway. They've stopped thinking I've gone crazy. They now realize all the talking to myself is just me reading aloud over and over and over. They even have to remind me to eat.

I am so scared all of this will be for nothing. That I'll fail again. The difficult child kid in me is there laughing at me on the side lines telling me I'm stupid, and who did I think I was that I could ever do this. I'm the one who always quits or fails. And I'd better quit before I humilliate myself once again. :( And as much as I keep telling myself I haven't been that difficult child kid in 25 + years........it's awful to discover she's still there.

It may seem like just a test to anyone else. But to me it's far more than a test. I've failed at so many things in the past. I don't want to fail at this too.

If you made it thru all the madness, thanks for listening. Think I'll go have a good cry. Maybe that'll releave some of the stress.

Jena

Lisa,

Yes I made it thru your post lol. Your going to be fine, you know this. You have been doing great, i've been following your progress, reading your posts in astonishment and what you can do!!

I can't even do difficult child's 4th grade math i have to look on the internet.......... HELLO you sooo should not feel like a "dummy" tmrw having easy child come help you at all. Math is ridiculous now adays and well timing the test, that's just insanity in itself.

Yet you'll do great, you really well. Just breath and go take a warm bubble bath and defuse.

((((hugs)))))

Jena

and by the way its normal to be nervous, your achieving alot right now and totally pushing the limits yet doesn't it feel good?? well, not at this very moment but you know what i mean to push yourself to these limits and to continue succeeding as you have been. Tell that little difficult child inside it's all good!!! :)

klmno

Just hang in there!! Try to just keep going like you are. I had to take a killer test for my profession and I felt the same way. Study study study, that's all you can do and that is what you are doing.

Now, take a break and eat or drink (or both) something that helps relax you and be confidant that you are doing all you can and that you will be prepared!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks ladies for listening to my ravings. lol I've temporarily regained my sanity. But it felt good to just let it all come pouring out.

I'm not letting myself pick up the books again until in the morning. Off to to play one of my "killing" games to vent a bit of frustration and on to bed, hopefully to sleep.

(((hugs)))

trinityroyal

Lisa, I'm going to give you my secret formula for panic...

Panic is fuel! Panic gives you energy!
The key is learning how to channel it.

You've been studying until you're blue in the face. You KNOW this stuff, you know it COLD. But you're panicking, which is scrambling all of the information around in your brain so it doesn't come out the right way when you're practicing. But it's all in there.

So...
As my dance teacher used to say before recitals, "It's okay to have butterflies in your stomach. As long as you get them to fly in formation."

Well, the same thing applies when it's bald eagles (or whatever flies around in there when you're panicking). Use the energy it gives you to review the work, visualize yourself passing the test with flying colours, etc.

I'm glad you're feeling better for having vented. I believe in you Lisa. I KNOW you can do it.

Hugs,
Trinity

susiestar

Roll With It
Hugs, Lisa. Remember to stay fairly calm during the test. You know this stuff. You can do it. You really can. IF it helps, do the math problems on graph paper. It helps (esp in long division) to keep everything lined up.

Sending gentle hugs and lots of calming energy!

Susie

F

flutterbee

(((hugs)))

I know how important this is for you which is fueling more panic and fear that you'll fail. You've had your confidence shaken, too. I think putting the books aside was a good move. Sometimes you need a break so that your brain can process all the information it's taken in.

(((hugs)))

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yeah, Susie...great advice.:D I was just going to post about that. GRAPH PAPER, DEAR!!! And stay in the boxes as much as it annoys you. You can be smart as a whip, but one little slide of the pencil and you're...well, you know what you are.

Timed tests just plain stink. So what do you do? Eliminate the obvious wrong answers first. Actually, I'll back up. Read the choices first, then read the problem. That way, when you read the problem you're running through your mind what is possible and what is not.

Hugs to you. I'm sure you'll do well.

Abbey

skeeter

Lisa - you know the information. Make sure you know HOW to take the test.

Do you get penalized for wrong answers? If so, only answer those that you know are correct.

Do you get rewarded for any answer attempted? Then try to answer them all.

Go through it and answer the ones you know 100% first. If you don't know the answer right away - skip that question and move on to the next. Don't waste time on the ones you don't know first. Then, after you've answered all the ones you abolutely know, come back and answer the ones you need to think about more.

Often these types of tests aren't really about what knowledge you have (which is why your classmate could pass it) but about HOW you take the test. When my oldest was going throught the SAT, we knew HE knew the stuff, he just didn't know how to take the test. After some educational coaching, he managed to bring his score up 300 points!

You'll do great, I know it.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
My first thought to you is BREATHE!!!! We will be there with you. You can do this. You are not a failure. You have not failed. Believe me when I say I know what that voice in the head sounds like. But you aren't listening to it.

hugs & breathe,

beth

crazymama30

Lisa, don't over stress and over study. It won't help. That is a very hard test, I studied my brains out for it. I did ok, but I do not have the old head injury to deal with. That puts everything in a whole new category. Hang in there, and study in small increments. 1 hr, go do something for 15min or so and then back for an hour. Something like that. You can do it, you can do it, you WILL do it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You guys are wonderful. I'm glad you believe in me, cuz I'm not so sure I do right now. sigh

The graph paper is a wonderful idea. I'll take it along as scratch paper. (hopefully they'll let me use it)

I know how to take these test. Well, normally I do. Normally, I'd skip over the hard questions and run thru all the easier ones first, then go back and do the hard ones.

But the way this test is set up........You can't go back. If you go back it locks you out of that section of the test. Which is what happened to me the first time.

So that whole technique that works wonderfully for timed tests is blown out of the water. :(

Although I'm going to try out a new technique today when I take the practice exams. I'm going to answer the easiest ones on the page first and then go back to the harder ones. If I'm still stumped (or it's taking too long to set up the problem) I'm going to make the best guess possible and move on. That way hopefully I'll have time to answer any easier questions further on in the test. I figure it can't hurt me any more than losing a whole page or more with no answers because I ran out of time.

Does that make sense?

Only good thing is....... My Math score raised 20 percent from test 1 to test 2. And that was with a whole page at least that I never got to because the time ran out. So I'm thinking if I don't spend forever on ones I can't get set up or solve quickly......I have a better chance of solving more of the ones I do know how to do.

Well. That's my hope anyway.

easy child will be here in about an hour. I did a couple of practice tests in english this morning. Didn't do bad. But I've not opened the books. I want my brain ready for when she helps me with the Math. :faint:

And you know what is awful?? I did a google search on the TEAS. And there is an unofficial site that has a book and flash cards geared to help you pass with flying colors.....or your money back. (offers for other such tests too) But of course I don't find it until I don't have time to send off for the material. ugh!

I'm scared to death I'm gonna fail again. But by d amn I'll go down fighting if I do. I'm studying everything that I remember is on the test. Which actually is quite alot. Nothing like failing something to have it stick in your head. lol I'm applying my Chemistry professors logic.......If you don't get something, no matter how hard you try, study your arse off on things you do get and it will balance out. I figure if it could get him his Phd, and has helped me pass with flying colors more than one of his tests, then it ought to get me thru the TEAS. (I hope)

I will be glad when this test is over.

KTMom91

Lisa, you know the material, you know you can do it, just remember to breathe during the test. I understand that pressure, I had to pass a $200 test before the university would let me in when I went back for my credential. Don't worry about how much the test cost, or what will happen if you don't pass, that doesn't help with being calm. You'll be great.

crazymama30

Lisa, you can go back and check your answers. I took the TEAS last year, and I went back and checked. Ask the proctor and ask to have them show you. Unless you are somehow using a different program, but I think you are using the same one.

I

Ilovemyson

Good Luck!!

I depise tests of any kind. I get really nervous and then I blank out. So with this upcoming week being finals week, I am having major anxiety issues!!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Daisy, I hope it goes better than you expect.
You set a goal, you do the work, you re evaluate and you try again.
You are doing the work and the practice. Give it your best shot tomorrow and then know that if you don't pass that you had given it your best effort.
It will probably be easier than you anticipate but I agree with trinity who said channel the panic.
husband swore he failed every test he took in grad school. He was always "failing". It's how he motivates himself and uses the panic or adrenaline or whatever you call it. He was never anywhere near to failing but it was a mind game he used.

So give it your best and move on.