The US Govt wants difficult child

Nancy

At least once every three weeks since a recruiting officer visited our hgih school, I get a call from the US Govt asking for difficult child. Obviously the recruiter was one hot dude and difficult child flirted with him and gave him her number. I've tried to be nice everytime he calls and tell him the difficult child is not interested but tonight I blew my top.

I finally told him that difficult child is not interested and he does not want her because she is an out of control kid that is addicted to drugs and doesn't follow orders and is on medication and while I would be delighted to turn her over to them to finish raising I don't thionk even the US Govt would be able to handle her. I then told him to stop calling here and hung up.

Now I'm thinking I was stupid and should have let him convince her to join. Would love to see the look on her face when she decided she hated it and was stuck.

Nancy

Andy

There have been many a day that I have been tempted to do the same with my easy child.

difficult child's therapist often refers to Forrest Gump who when asked by the army sargent, "What is you purpose in the army?" replies "To do whatever you say, Sir" (or something to that effect). therapist states that difficult child is suppose to listen to me just as Forrest listened to his sargent.

I know the recuiters big rewards for each person they sign up. However, if this recruiter does call again make sure you get his name, I would call his office (ask the school for the number if you need to).

Marguerite

OK, there could be political connotations I am just not getting - but if this were happening in Australia, we'd be asking awkward questions about the level of interest shown by ONE recruiter for this particular kid. It doesn't sound quite on the level to me.

If, on the other hand, this is NORMAL recruiting practice (for the same person to be the one who calls, repeatedly, because some level of interest was shown once, on the first meeting) then I would have grave concerns about what sort of recruits the army is getting, and under what circumstances.

The only way for an organisation to be SURE they are genuinely getting kids who are interested for good reasons (and not just because the bloke who was recruiting that day was cute) and ALSO for the organisation to avoid accusations of impropriety by its recruiters, is for the list of names acquired to be passed on to another person who then calls.

The army's workload on this needs to be shared. Also, there shouldn't be any personal benefits to recruiters for 'scalps' obtained because it is too open to abuse.

But then, this is my Aussie point of view and who knows? In the US this might work perfectly well and be the acceptable way to do things.

But if this ISN'T the usual way it's done - I'd be thinking that the recruiter hasn't just got quotas on his mind.

Marg

slsh

member since 1999
Oh gosh, Nancy - too funny!

Boo got recruiting calls from both the Marines and the Navy. I know the poor guys on the other end of the phone thought I was just being an overprotective mother, and you do have to given them credit for dogged persistence. I was really trying to be gentle with them, but when they kept on calling I finally had to tell them that I was pretty sure the armed forces weren't looking for a blind nonverbal quadriplegic recruit. Both of them were shocked into silence - I felt bad but... "no" means "no", right? ;)

For some reason, the song "Alice's Restaurant" popped into my head reading your last paragraph. :rofl:

Penta

Yes, the structure of the military is good for many "out of control" young people. She would not have to worry about having a roof over her head, 3 meals a day, option to go to college. It might just be a good thing for your daughter. Certainly better than being out on the street when she has to leave your home at 18. I would leave it up to her to investigate and decide for herself about joining the military.

DammitJanet

Marg....the military gets a list from the schools of all high school juniors or seniors I believe and they call them. Its a cold call list. They also visit the schools and if for some reason a student acts at all interested they call more often.

I have been involved with the Marine Recruiters office here...is anyone shocked? LOL. I helped set up a database of the phone numbers of graduating seniors.

Guys will also get postcards from all the military branches after they sign up for selective service.

mom_in_training

Slsh, My son Chris just got a letter two days ago for Selective Services.
Anyone that is between the age of 18 to 26 is mandated by federal laws to register. I called this morning to ask if I needed to send them any documentation from my sons Dr's as proof of his being severely disabled and the guy told me no. They apparently don't want to store the millions of medical documents. He did say that despite Chris being severely disabled that he has to register regardless but stated that the likely hood of him being recruited will more then likely never happen unless they do a draft. That would be when I would , Oh wait my son (wanted cadet) would have to provide any medical documents proving that he is not military material. Hmmm, Lol!! He was laughing along with me but had to explain the federal law and went on to say that I could register him online due to the fact that Chris does not have the ability to write let alone be verbal. I told the guy that I would be more then happy to take Chris to a recruiting office along with his feeding bag, IV Pole, Pump and all. He just laughed. So I will register him online. They majorly press the issue that they will PROSECUTE my son if he does not respond in 10 days. Yikes!!!! Scarey..... I say go ahead arrest and prosecute. Lol!!!! Geeze, Chris is in a wheelchair (Never will be mobile otherwise) with a G-Tube as his only source for nutrition, Cortical Blind along with a seizure disorder (Grand malls) Go figure. Poor kid, He just turned 21 and the world is just beating him on the head. But that is ok, I am a warrier Mom and I am his protector, Lol!!!! I say go ahead and mess with him. Bring it on..... :)

When my difficult child was in high school she would tell me about the military guys coming to the school to recruit. I am totally against them doing that. You have to figure that many of these high school kids are ummmm not mature enough to make such a life changing decision like that and as far as I am concerned my belief is that the gov is taking advantage of that. The gov makes everything sound so enticing to our youth but when it comes down to it there is not much truth to any of it. Its just a way to **** our kids in. Don't get me wrong I am saying this of course knowing that there are some young adults that are quite capable of joining because they have the maturity level to understand what they are getting themselves into. Its very hard work as well as a huge sacrifice. I just hate thinking that they are looking at 16 and 17 year olds. Happened to one of my difficult children friends when he was 17. The day before he turned 18 they were already calling his house. And yes its true that the recruiters get paid like a commission on each person that they recruit and get in. Oh and I found this really odd.... Our gov had some recruiter guys set up under a tent in front of Wal-Mart of all places. Gee, You have to wonder why they are acting soooo desperate these days. I also wonder if there is something that we the people don't know because our gov is holding secrets. We already know they do, But Wal-mart? That looks desperate to me.

uncheerleader

Pollyanna
Reminds me of when they tried to call my son difficult child. They called the house and husband answered the phone, he told them difficult child was not interested, hung up. One min. later difficult child's cell phone rings and I hear him say, "Uumm no I'm on heavy medication for mood disorders." Not one other organization has called since. One good thing in my trials with difficult child is I don't think I have to worry about him getting drafted!

Marguerite

We don't generally have them turning up to schools, but final year kids do attend various careers expo days and among other career choices, we can have defence forces personnel there too. I remember my final year - my boyfriend at school was already recruited by the navy before he finished school. His brother - similar, but joined the army instead. But for both of them, it involved a lot more than just expressing interest. They had to attend a number of interviews, with their parents (because they were still under-age at that point) and have good school results, etc. Mind you, this was for officer training. The deal was - the defence forces would put them through uni, in exchange for a few years of their time... but they went in with their eyes wide open, with their parents to make sure they weren't getting exploited.

difficult child 1 has a friend (also a difficult child) who joined the army. He was over 18 so his parents didn't need to be involved. The army took him on not as an officer, just as a 'grunt', then found he was a handful. But they did their best to find him a place where he could be of use, they looked after him for several years. But they have finally let him go, realising that even their best wasn't good enough, he was still too much of a difficult child. He got an honourable discharge, they were happy to let him go when everyone realised it wasn't working.

I'm a pacifist, I'm anti-war, but I recognise the need for armed services and I respect those who have chosen to serve in the military. I don't always respect those who choose to involve us in war - the politicians - but the people at the coalface are unfortunately needed, and have a thankless task. I also recognise that sometimes the choice to serve in the military is a valid way to get started in an adult independent life. But it DOES need to be a fully informed choice.

Marg

DammitJanet

You do realize that it is mostly 18 through 25 year olds who are defending this country today right? The majority of them are in the range of 19 and 20 during their first tours overseas. Before most of us would be comfortable letting them have free access to our expensive cars, they are driving tanks and other vehicles that cost in the 6 figures.

Many kids dont have parents who can afford to send them to college so the military opens that door for them. Some choose the service because it is a family tradition and they feel strongly about wanting to defend this land that our ancestors have fought for over the last 230+ years. They feel its the honorable thing to do and if they, God forbid, give their life for your freedom, its the sacrifice that was called upon by them.

As the mother, daughter, and niece of those who have served...and are serving....I am glad they chose to do so. I was never prouder than when my son chose to enlist in the Marines.

Nuff said.

N

Nomad

I concur...oh my gosh!

My father was in the service, but never went overseas.
He even got funding for college (not sure it was for the entire thing...but may have been). He didn't go to college until he was 40.

Not sure if they take difficult children, esp. those in need of medication, etc.

Wishing you well Nancy...sounds like you are feeling the s.t.r.e.s.s. again.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Nancy, how funny. You were right on about even the US government's military probably help our difficult child's.

I can just see the young recruiters face on the other end of the phone.