The walk-in clinic is SCARY!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm here with-easy child at the walk-in clinic tonight. She tweaked something in her ankle during Saturday's soccer match that made us suspect her Achilles tendon. She can walk on it now, but still cannot jump, plus she's got an quasi-infected big toe, so I figured we should have her checked out. The pediatrician had no openings today, which leaves the after-hours clinic, and this place is PACKED, plus about 1/3 of the people are wearing face masks! Needless to say, she's waiting in the car while I hang outside by the entrance. Yeesh, I wonder how many swine flubies are in there... Pass the hand sanitizer and gas mask pleeeeeze!:sick::sick::sick:

tiredmommy

Yikes! That's precisely why our family doctor didn't want to see Duckie last week, he was afraid of what she'd catch while there.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Her tendon looks fine -- must have just been a strain. They 'splained to me how to wrap it next time it happens (hopefully there won't be a next time). And her yucky, pus-filled toe is now on Keflex. I took her to buy some wider tennies on the way home. My little 10yo Amazon now wears a women's 8.5 wide (bought her 9's just to make sure they'd still fit next week :p )! Poor kid got her long feet from me and her wide feet from her dad. :( I hope they don't get much bigger!

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm glad it was just a strain and her toe is getting fixed.

Hoping you don't catch the nasty bugs that were floating around.

susiestar

Roll With It
Our walk in clinic has been so overwhelmed that they had a warning to get there as soon after opening as possible. Seems that after they are open for half an hour they are fully booked and cannot get any more patients seen. They have 3 docs and 3 physician assistant/nurse practitioners on duty at all times and still cannot meet the need.

The new urgent care facility is also swamped this way. We have a free clinic that runs through the ER at the hospital and waits there can be more than six hours.

I don't know how much is due to swine flu, swine flu fears, or anything else. But it seems far worse than it has ever been.

The pediatrician is all booked by 8:15 on Monday am and by noon on other days.

So getting a child seen can take days, even for more serious problems.

I am glad her toe is being treated. Hope neither of you caught anything!

lizanne2

Yes, all health care avenues are bogged down here. The clinics are especially tough to get in.............

by the way, my powerhouse little girl was a size 9 in the 5th grade and rest assured she is still a size 9, well maybe 9.5 in the 11th grade.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I carry a mask, hand sanitizer, spray lysol and hand wipes in my car -

I have been spraying the office door handles and phones with lysol for over three weeks now (we've had 4 confirmed child deaths from swine flu here)
I'm allergic to the vaccine so guess who gets to revel in my germophobe antics? lol

When husband went to the ER - I made ALL of us put on masks - and then we were sitting in a chair and the nurse came out and I saw the womans arm next to us and she had a TB scratch test that was POSITIVE and NO ONE wiped down the chair she was sitting in. OMG they took her outside to talk to her and she sat on a bench and was coughing and hacking .....:sick: - yeah we moved and I got those wipes and gloves from the cleaning lady and wiped down everything we sat in BEFORE we sat in it.

If you don't think I won't spray my seat with lysol or wipe it with a germicidal wipe in a public place = guess again.

susiestar

Roll With It
Star, I wish MORE people were like you are. You might want to add some disposable gloves to your kit. There are some tasks, like using a keyboard in a public place, that I will not do with a bare hand.

I don't do it for outside ATMs because the sun is one of the best disinfectants around, but for indoor ATMS I use a glove or plastic baggie or napkin over my fingers. For those signature pads on credit card machines at walmart I use my own pen with the cap on or a stylus (I have a pen with a stylus - like the pens iwth 3 colors but one is a stylus). I will NOT use their stylus. AT. ALL.

You might consider taking the big comforters, pillows, etc.. outside in the sun on a dry day. Flip them after about 3-4 hours and then bring them back in and put clean pillowcases on and clean sheets, etc....

If you don't have a clothes line then put them over a picnic table.

As for the TB thing, I have become TERRIFIED of it. When I was preg with Jessie I was in a management program at a chain restaurant. We had to learn to work every position in the store. To do every job. The grill guy I worked with had a bad cough. He HATED washing his hands and I threw weekly fits about hygeine and hand washing. I even appealed to the district manager when my boss refused to even talk to him about his stink and coughing into his apron then wiping the spatulas on that same apron to "get the gunk" off of it.

Two weeks after I finished that rotation we were contacted by county health. The guy had TB. I spent 4 WEEKS right next to that guy. Refused to eat anything he ever cooked and did NOT make friends, but I also had to get a TB test while I was pregnant. No one knew then, or knows now, if the test could have hurt Jessie.

The district mgr first came down on ME for not going to my manager. Since I DID, and did it enough that the guy put a note in my folder about "possible Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) re: cleanliness" along with the written complaint I gave him outlining the health hazards that this grill guy reveled in, I ended up getting a NICE reward and thank you from the district guy.

Corporate called me and asked about "the confusion" about my letter about the guy. My boss took out the complaint I put in the guy's file but left his letter stating no action would be taken regarding the "hygiene complaint". He also didn't change the log that showed I opened the file and added 2 pages.

Idiot.

susiestar

Roll With It
HEY!!!! I resemble that remark!!

Don't worry. I can't run fast enough to catch you. Just don't get too close or I bite!

If Star and I get together you will have to watch out though. We can use our unmentionables as double barrel slingshots and whomp you right where you are!

Big as mine is I could lob grapefruits at you!

Now, what was that website you said we were starting?