The War of the Grandmas' Baklava

Scent of Cedar *

So, what if "ion" could be seen as the measure of time. The time an ion exists. "Ions ago, in long atomic time and far distance...."

I wonder whether there is a time limit for the existence of an ion. Or is the ion just some diffuse thing carrying a charge, and not a separate thing, at all.

Which would make the ion a concept; a tool for thinking. And maybe, nothing real at all..like time.

Someone was telling me that yesterday. That if I were in orbit around the Earth, I would be in a different time zone than the one I occupy while on the ground. It had to do with gravity.

My Tai Chi instructor was a physicist.

If I were smarter? I would be able to use this information on the discrepancy between Earth time and outer space orbiting time to explain why I was late to class yesterday.

:O)

Cedar

New Leaf

Hey Cedar, do not mind Jabber, he is seriously craving some of that baklava.

So was it Geek kudos, or Greek kudos?

Eon, Ion, -its all Greek to me, heh, heh, heh.
Ion- This term was introduced by English physicist and chemist Michael Faraday in 1834 for the then-unknown species that goes from one electrode to the other through an aqueous medium.

Eon- alternative spelling of aeon, an indefinite long period of time

Twin Ion Engine-TIE fighter

leafy

Scent of Cedar *

Ion- This term was introduced by English physicist and chemist Michael Faraday in 1834 for the then-unknown species that goes from one electrode to the other through an aqueous medium.

It's fascinating stuff to think about. Positive/negative and how everything works. Does it go, or is it drawn? There must be some balance everything is always trying to attain, but we cannot see it. Only just these tiny pieces of evidence of...something.

Our blood chemistry works the same way.

Our hearts? Beat that way, too.

Isn't that something, you guys.

Cedar

New Leaf

You know what fascinates me, naming the then unknown, so, I guess it was an appropriate name, once it became known? Or do they even really know?

Word Origin
C19: from Greek, literally: going, from ienai to go
-ion
suffix
indicating an action, process, or state: creation,objection Compare -ation, -tion

Word Origin and History for ion
n.
1834, introduced by English physicist and chemistMichael Faraday (suggested by the Rev. WilliamWhewell, English polymath), coined from Greek ion,neuter present participle of ienai "go," from PIE root*ei- "to go, to walk" (cf. Greek eimi "I go;" Latin ire"to go," iter "a way;" Old Irish ethaim "I go;" Irishbothar "a road" (from *bou-itro- "cows' way"), Gaulisheimu "we go," Gothic iddja "went," Sanskrit e'ti"goes," imas "we go," ayanam "a going, way;"Avestan ae'iti "goes;" Old Persian aitiy "goes;"Lithuanian eiti "to go;" Old Church Slavonic iti "go;"Bulgarian ida "I go;" Russian idti "to go"). So called because ions move toward the electrode of opposite charge.

So, Copa's use of the term "for ions", is appropriate, Copa, you are a genius. For eons is an indefinite long period of time, but ions- more indicative of what goes on with the unseen.

Just lately, I have a fascination with theme songs, and conductors.

Even Cedars fascination with music and conductors........ a lightening rod is a conductor ....
from-http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/estatics/Lesson-4/Lightning
" It is indeed true that the tip of a lightning rod is capable of ionizing the surrounding air and making it more conductive."

I am in the presence of true geniuses.

There is this wonderful connectivity to everything in the universe.

humbly yours.....
leafy

Scent of Cedar *

there are literally no people on earth I think, who love baklava as much as Jabber and I do, and yet I've never made it! And I bake! I bake quite a lot during the holidays...well usually. It's just too funny!

If you make it following this recipe Lil, you will love it. It is delicious, really. Again, as we did last year, we bought baklava from Sam's and Italian cookies too, to send D H mom. Compared to that baklava, the homemade baklava is worlds better. There is no comparison. Last year, I did not know any better or even, what I was doing. This year, I am understanding how those underlying flavors blend over the days after the baklava is finished. I am curious to try it with jasmine water, or rose water, as Esther had suggested. The amazing thing about baklava is how it changes as it ages. At first, the cinnamon is so strong. Now, though that flavor is there, it has been superceded by citrus notes.

Baklava is very fun to make for that reason.

I hope you make it, and that you post here for us when you do.

Cedar

New Leaf

Oh Jabber. How embarrassing. My spelling!!!!
I should like to think of it Copa, as a marvelous Freudian slip, that led us to a very interesting discussion......
It's fascinating stuff to think about. Positive/negative and how everything works. Does it go, or is it drawn? There must be some balance everything is always trying to attain, but we cannot see it. Only just these tiny pieces of evidence of...something.
I applaud your spelling Copa..
:wootsmiley:
leafy

Lil

He was just making a joke ladies! I told him, he needs to remember smiley faces!

I assure you he didn't mean it to be mean.

New Leaf

My education is life and the University of Google......oh and the red lines under misspelled words, my O-C-Dness hates those red lines......
leafy

Lil

Since we're all being friendly and joking...I do have to shake my head at how geeky anyone has to be to know what TIE fighter stands for. LOL

InsaneCdn

oh and the red lines under misspelled words, my O-C-Dness hates those red lines......
It's worse for me... because most spell checkers use the US spelling. And I absolutely refuse to submit to US spelling without a major fight.
I will uphold the honour of the English language!
(like a good Canadian... with a nice mix of British and American word usage...)

Last edited:

Scent of Cedar *

Merry Christmas, Everybody!

I am getting ready to make this year's baklava. I read through this thread this morning. I love this site so much, and am so grateful for it, and that I am part of it. Hoping this year's baklava finds us all well and happy. What interesting discussions we've held on music and math and the nature of reality, and just think ~ all of it inspired by a granddaughter's request for baklava. We are amazing, all of us. Baklava Grand did break up with the Greek boyfriend, but just this year, they have come back together. They will be visiting Greece this year, in fact ~ finally, we will know for sure whether our American baklava is as tasty as the real Greek baklava. And of course, it could not be, but that's okay and what a great story we've all been part of. This site, and this particular thread, are as much a part of the feeling of making baklava as the recipe itself. So, I am bringing the thread back for myself, and for all of us.

I would very much like to hear favorite Christmas or Channuka or Kwanza stories or recipes from each of you who is willing to share them with all of us. So many changes for all of us over the years, but here we all still are.

This is amazing to me.

:starplucker:

Cedar