therapist Said The Magic Word

Bunny

That word would be Aspergers.

difficult child had an appointment with the therapist this afternoon and at the end of the appointment I was speaking with her alone. I was asking for receipts so that I can submit them to my insurance. She asked what the previous diagnosis's were and I told her general anxiety disorder and ODD, but that I felt that we were missing something. We don't have all the pieces to the puzzle. I told her that I've questioned if he falls on the autism spectrum. I told her that I've questioned whether were dealing with an emerging personality disorder. She looked at me and said, "You've asked if he falls on the spectrum? Because I see alot of Aspergers traits in him."

I do know that the psychiatrist said he wanted to speak to her, but I don't know if they ever got in touch with each other. I forgot to ask her. If not, I want her to tell him exactly what she told me, because I've questioned him about whether difficult child falls on the spectrum and he said absolutely not.

I'm not really sure what my next move is, but I feel like I'm one step closer to getting answers.

InsaneCdn

Ironically, professionals listen to other professionals more than they listen to parents (generally). Therefore... no matter what YOU have been saying, if the therapist tells the psychiatrist that the therapist suspects Aspie... it usually carries more weight.

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
Call the therapist and have her call the psychiatrist. Let THEM argue it out. Tell the therapist that the psychiatrist doesn't see it and is adamant it's not there. Does the therapist have a Ph.D.? If so, they can diagnose. It might also mean that you need a new psychiatrist. If it's obvious to one and the other is adamant it's not there, I'd stick with the one that knows what they are doing and replace the other.

Glad you're getting answers. The right diagnosis can make all the difference in the world, especially when working with the schools. It is soooo nice having our suspicions validated. It's a wonderful feeling.

TerryJ2

Very good.
I'm with-the others ... let the doctors talk to one another. Get some testing done and get it in writing. You'll get there!