i called a local autism support organization when i was looking specifically for a social skills group--they were more than happy to give me several names of tdocs who specialized in spectrum issues and were kind enough to give me the "inside info" that i needed to make a decision....

i'd start by googling your state+austism or aspergers (i just did, it looks like you have an excellent resource in AANE/groden center)....and ask for THEM for recommendations. you dont necessarily need to use their services if they arent appropriate, but pick their brain for what might be appropriate to meet your needs.

i can tell you from experience that your ins. co will be happy to give you a list of tdocs...10 of which no longer accept your insurance, 5 of which who deal with addictions, 8 of which who focus on adults and about 42 who no longer accept new patients, so save your efforts by narrowing it down to a few names, then sort out ins. issues.

but ask around--you'd be surprised at what people are willing to tell you if you do :)

BusynMember

I'm wondering about those medications. Aggression in a mean way is not really a part of Aspergers. My son is on the autism spectrum so I know a bit about it. I took Zoloft and it made me nutty...antidepressants can do that AND so can stimulants. He is on both. I'm wondering about the wisdom of that medication combination. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids tend to be medication sensitive.

I ended up in ER after two weeks on 50 mgs. of Zoloft. That's not a normal response to it (mine), but I'm not the only one who can't handle it. Was he like this before the medication?

DDD

Ugh! My well thought out post disappeared in cyberspace. Here's the short version (probably preferred anyway, lol). Our youngest difficult child was first diagnosis as ADHD. Some years later a psychiatrist with experience in Autism identified him as AS. He was on a stimulant (had to try a few to find the right one) and Tenex aka Guafacine. His first neuropsychologist identified him as also being schizoaffective and a few years ago BiPolar (BP) was added. He still takes a stimulant. which helps him immensely and also takes two other medications..one for sleep.
I'm not 100% sure about the SA or the BiPolar (BP) but so long as he is stable I'm happy.

It takes a long time to identify problems and the difficult child's do not remain the same as they age, hit puberty, etc. He no longer has anger outbursts. He knows that he has AS and that therefore he reads social situations inaccurately. He presents well. He follows the beat of a different drummer. on the other hand he blends into the world as well as we could have expected and presents well.

Glad you have a qualified psychiatrist and I encourage you to ask questions (I usually make notes so I don't forget anything) and try to stay hopeful. DDD

Crystal72

i called a local autism support organization when i was looking specifically for a social skills group--they were more than happy to give me several names of tdocs who specialized in spectrum issues and were kind enough to give me the "inside info" that i needed to make a decision....

i'd start by googling your state+austism or aspergers (i just did, it looks like you have an excellent resource in AANE/groden center)....and ask for THEM for recommendations. you dont necessarily need to use their services if they arent appropriate, but pick their brain for what might be appropriate to meet your needs.

i can tell you from experience that your ins. co will be happy to give you a list of tdocs...10 of which no longer accept your insurance, 5 of which who deal with addictions, 8 of which who focus on adults and about 42 who no longer accept new patients, so save your efforts by narrowing it down to a few names, then sort out ins. issues

but ask around--you'd be surprised at what people are willing to tell you if you do :)

I spoke with Groden center a few times.they are of no help at all. Autism project around here gave me the best help but my insurance is lame for many times. It's life here in the conservative rhode island

Crystal72

Ugh! My well thought out post disappeared in cyberspace. Here's the short version (probably preferred anyway, lol). Our youngest difficult child was first diagnosis as ADHD. Some years later a psychiatrist with experience in Autism identified him as AS. He was on a stimulant (had to try a few to find the right one) and Tenex aka Guafacine. His first neuropsychologist identified him as also being schizoaffective and a few years ago BiPolar (BP) was added. He still takes a stimulant. which helps him immensely and also takes two other medications..one for sleep.
I'm not 100% sure about the SA or the BiPolar (BP) but so long as he is stable I'm happy.

It takes a long time to identify problems and the difficult child's do not remain the same as they age, hit puberty, etc. He no longer has anger outbursts. He knows that he has AS and that therefore he reads social situations inaccurately. He presents well. He follows the beat of a different drummer. on the other hand he blends into the world as well as we could have expected and presents well.
Glad you have a qualified psychiatrist and I encourage you to ask questions (I usually make notes so I don't forget anything) and try to stay hopeful. DDD

I am still hopeful even though I never actually got help from anywhere..but having two Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids,beside staying focus,what else you can do?