theraputic day school

lordhelpme

well we had a bip on tues and they are pulling difficult child out of class in the morning for one on one time in an office to get school work done. he does specials(art,gym), recess and lunch with-his class. they have no come to the conclusion(like my telling them wasn't enough) that the classroom is overstimulating for him. yes this is a restrictive situation but i am just happy that he is getting some school work done(and again proving what i have said about the sensory issues)but he needs a small classroom enviroment and they do not have it in this school or in the regional school district(Special Education services are shared with-in the county).

i am waiting to hear if the area superintendants voted to create a special class for early elem for kids like difficult child. i am told there is a need but today the gov of the state announced funding cuts to schools. even if they vote to have this class i am not sure i want him to be in the pilot program, Know what I mean??

so advice please! do i start research on other area schools outside of the county and then start due process for them to pay. proving they are not equiped to handle difficult child is going to be easy and i am sure the principle would love to pass him on to someone else.
we are currently in a drug study so he might be ok by next fall, might not. ok probably not and i just keep thinking about having my kids at 2 different schools with-different schedules but i want to do what is best for him.

what would you do if you were me and can you steer me to info on how to start.

thanks much!

cnels

My son had almost exact same issues. They wanted him in the office to do work. And he did for a bit, but soon realized he was being punished for sensory issues, and classroom stress. I too said the class was to hard for him. After we got the IEP set up we came up with a plan to have him go to the resource room (1 adult for about 8 kids)for reading 10:30 am, and a writing class 1pm. So here we have 2 breaks. They then put him in a math class that was a little lower level for him, and there is an aid in there so he gets extra help.
It didn't matter that the content was a bit below him. What did matter was the small group setting with peers. And most importantly we got him out of the class with the teacher that really couldn't figure out how to help him.
Hope this helps,
C

Sheila

The Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) requirements in IDEA varies depending on the student. Mainstream is the LRE for many; but if therapeutic day school or Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is the appropriate LRE, that's where placement should be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he needs a small classroom enviroment and they do not have it in this school or in the regional school district </div></div>

Then the sd needs to contract with-an entity that does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am waiting to hear if the area superintendants voted to create a special class for early elem for kids like difficult child. i am told there is a need but today the gov of the state announced funding cuts to schools. </div></div>

It shouldn't matter. The cost of providing FAPE is the sd's problem -- not the students' or parents'.

See http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/lre.osers.memo.idea.htm for :
"The term "FAPE" is defined as including, among other elements, special education and related services, provided at no cost to parents, in conformity with an individualized education program (IEP). "

If you are thinking your are going to have to go to due process, be sure and follow the letter of the law regarding the steps required. Documentation will be key.

Martie

Sorry to be late, I've been out of town.

"In the office" is a highly restrictive "placement" in my opinion. You should find a placement that can meet difficult child's needs--if that is a therapeutic day school, so be it. If resource is available, it might work and then difficult child could still have "specials" with normally developing peers.

Martie