They didn't give difficult child his medications at camp

Wiped Out

Staff member
today and boy oh boy was he wound up when he came home-still is somewhat but starting to calm down now that he has had his medications.

Apparently difficult child thought it was the last day yesterday and asked for his bottles. Why they gave it to him is beyond me! I know I would have called a parent or written a note, something, but not given a child back his medicine. We didn't go through his bag last night (didn't think we needed to) so we didn't know it was home.

Today they went to a water park. difficult child had trouble with the one counselor he doesn't like. She said she had to sit by him on the bus and he was disrespectful. Not that it is in any way o.k. but honestly with-o the medications he has NO impulse control! I did tell her it wasn't o.k. but that if he isn't given his medications things like that will happen.

Today was the last day of camp. I'm debating whether or not I should call the camp office to let them know in the future they should not send medications home like that early. Goodness knows if it was insulin for a diabetic they wouldn't have sent it home a day early.

Do you think I should call or drop it since camp is over and he won't be going back next year because he will be too old as they only take up to kids going into 5th grade?

klmno

I would call- it suprises me sometimes how much carries over from summer to summer, so I probably wouldn't make a big stink of it, but I think I'd let them know and tell them his behavior was a result of lack of medications.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sharon

I'd give them a call. This sort of thing does tend to carry over from summer to summer. I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it, but explain that medications for a kid like difficult child are just as important as a diabetic or epileptic child getting their medications when they should.

On_Call

Another vote for calling them. You can nicely fill them in - maybe it will save the grief for another child next summer. medications can make such a huge difference and many staff members have no idea just how much difference one dosage can make.

At difficult child's ESY program, the students were not allowed to transfer their medications back and forth at all - an adult had to take them to school - and pick up any remaining medications from school - directly to and from the nurse. They used to be able to let the bus drivers hold the medications and give them to the parents, but they can't even do that anymore.

Sorry difficult child had a rough day!