They found a donor

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Wiped Out, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

for my great nephew. Some of you may remember that I posted he has Adrenal Luekodystrophy and is in need of a bone marrow transplant to help slow down the disease.

Today they are leaving Michigan and driving to spend the night with us and tomorrow they will head to Mayo Clinic. He will be there for 2-5 months. Apparently they have to do chemo and radiation first before the transplant to kill the bad cells (this isn't cancer so I'm a bit confused). Then he will receive the transplant and hopefully his body will accept and not reject it.

I believe my niece will be staying at a Ronald McDonald house for the time that it takes.

We are hopeful and will keep praying that all goes well.
  2. wakeupcall

wakeupcall Well-Known Member

Sharon, your family has my prayers. Medical issues are so difficult....for everyone!
  3. WhymeMom?

WhymeMom? No real answers to life..

Good news about the donor, hope all goes well and he has a speedy recovery.....

4. flutterbee

flutterbee Guest

Sending good thoughts that all goes well. :angel:
  5. DDD

DDD Well-Known Member

How wonderful that he has a chance for a healthy future. I will
    not forget to say a few prayers. DDD
  6. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

That is great news!!!
  7. rejectedmom

rejectedmom New Member

Good news!!!! -RM
  8. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

Thanks all! He is such a cute little guy-we had a nice visit tonight and they are headed out at 4:00 a.m. tomorrow. I did make one mistake-they are not having it done at Mayo but at the University of Minnesota hospital.
  9. Suz

Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

Sharon, that's just wonderful! Please keep us posted about his progress.

10. timer lady

timer lady Queen of Hearts

Sharon, wonderful news! UM has a good reputation.
  11. SearchingForRainbows

SearchingForRainbows Active Member

I'll be keeping your great nephew in my thoughts and praying that everything goes smoothly... :angel: WFEN