They put her on Ativan????

B

bran155

Hi all. I spoke to my daughter today and she informed me that the jail has now put her on Ativan. She said that because of her behavior they transferred her to the hospital section of the jail/different from the psychiatric ward. She said it is an actual psychiatric hospital. I didn't know they had such a thing. They said that she was completely out of control so they started her on Ativan. I'm not sure if she is still taking the Geodon. I am going to see her in the morning and I will ask to speak to someone regarding her medications. She said that it seems to be helping her with regards to her anger.

Does anyone have any experience with Ativan? Any opinions??

Thanks

Shawna :)

B

bran155

Okay, now I am nervous. I searched Ativan and found a few posts that discussed it. It sounds as if it should only be used as a prn. It is habit forming and strong, I am guessing.

Please, share some opinions on this. I will be going to the jail in the morning. Should I have her taken off this???

In all the years we have been going to psychiatrists, and all of the hospitalizations my daughter has had we have never discussed trying Ativan. There has to be a reason for that. Do you think the jail is just drugging her up to keep her in control or is there a long term benefit to using this drug??? Is this drug bad for her liver?

HELP!!!

DammitJanet

I dont know that it is bad for her liver. I wouldnt panic either. I was on ativan for about 4 years and didnt have a problem with it. My gp put me on it...I think I was on 1 mg....when Jamie left for bootcamp. He said he thought every military mom should have ativan....lol. I took one pill a day at bedtime. But guess what...seroquel is coming out in a 50 mg extended release pill soon! I cant wait. It will help with anxiety and sleep.

Rabbit

difficult child 2 has been on Ativan for years although
it is not recommend for that long. Usually
from what I understand doctors only keep people on it for a short time using it with another medication.
The doctors. take difficult child 2's blood to make sure it does not affect his liver. I help this helps and that u can speak to someone there re your daughter's drugs and what the doctors. there r thinking. maybe they r just giving it to your daughter for a short time to calm her down.
It may make her more agreeable to try other medications if it makes it more stable for the moment. help this helps.
Will keep u and your family in my prayers
Rabbit

everywoman

Bran, Ativan is similar to Xanex. It is a tranquilizer. It is prescribed regularly for anxiety disorders. If she is under state custody, can you tell them what she can and can't take?

B

bran155

Thanks guys, I feel much better.

Janet, I wish she would take Seroquel. She took it for a short time and it seemed to be working well but she hates it. She says she hears things and feels tingles in her legs while on it. Thanks for the info.

Everywoman, I was going to ask that question to you guys.lol I am hoping I have a say in what they can and cannot with regards to her medications. I will find out in the morning. :)

Thanks Rabbit and Terry.

If this works like Xanax that would explain why they put her on it!!! She is probably driving them NUTS!!! :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We were also told it works like Valium... difficult child 1 used to take it to get him through blood draws, otherwise he would absolutely melt down and have a violent panic attack.

I hope they can get her on the RIGHT medications soon!

smallworld

Valium, Xanax, Klonopin and Ativan all belong to the class of medications known as benzodiazepines. As EW said, they treat anxiety disorders. Most psychiatrists don't like to use them long-term because they can be addicting. But for short-term use to treat acute anxiety, they can be very helpful.

Jena

hi,

I just wanted to jump in and wish you luck with-tomorrow's visit. I hope it goes well, and isn't stressful, or that stressful :) on you.

I also hope that medication helps.

((hugs))

B

bran155

Thanks for the information and support. I have butterflies in my tummy!!! I am about to leave to visit her. I am soooo nervous. I haven't physically seen her in about 2 months.

Wish me luck!!! I will let you all know how it goes.

Critter Lover

When my difficult child had to be Baker Acted last month, the hospital put him on Ativan and Haldol. I can tell you when he came for a visit for Christmas and New Years....he was a very mellow fellow...LOL. He needed something to calm him down especially the anger. I think the support staff are working to get him his new medication doctor and psychiatric doctor pretty soon so they can get him regulated on the right medications. I have not seen any reprocussions of my son being on Ativan nor Haldol.

Good luck!

Ropefree

Banned
Bran155: I am so reluctant to take medication and I am in pain 24/7 from spine cord damage. That said last year when I was so overwrought from my mothers stroke the
doctor perscribed ativan. I call it add a nap.
I would not second guess the effort to stablize your daughter to vigerously if I were you. The symtoms she discribed with the medications she did not like ring a bell for me as well as I have sensitivity in my nerves and when I have had the feeling tingling it is annoying and it is good that she feel comfortable.
The thing is when dealing with someone who is manicy the important goal is to lure them into the neutral and non-stymulated center zone of being in my opinion. That place that is closest to my favorite cure all states that I mention over and over: the hot tub/ massage calm that feel is learned behavior and an aquired skill. For some the merits and peace in that zone is hard work to discover.
But once there I have yet to meet anyone who has ventured there and left feeling that it is a waste of time.
If adivan works for her then rest assured it is a far better energtic level that the intensity that warrents the perscription.
Halodol (sp) is a heavy off switch for calming. As a utter lay person who has witnessed the impact on some I have known the medication acts to really slow down the psycotic and seizure prone brain.
The treatment works, I think, as an intervention of the overworking and out of sinc brain. It gives the rest to the nervous system.
That is what made the quiet isolation of the yesteryear treatment some merit. Learning to calm is really hard for some brains.
I am so very relieved that she is in a psyc ward. The best news! Lets hope that she gets a treatment working that allows her to emerge as the individule that is in there and not the girl dragging around at the whim of her illness.
Your family is in my prayers bran155. This is how to make a better world: one person at a time! To the sucess of your outcome in this dramatic episode!

Janna

We have discussed putting D on Ativan. He's on Buspar, which is anti anxiety also, and it is wonderful.

I am on Xanex, which is the same class of drug. I will tell ya, the doctor prescribed this stuff to me 3x a day, wowowow - LOL I can take 1 pill, maybe 1x a month LMAO. They knock me out. It's an "I don't give a rats behind about anything" pill. "Oh, the house is on fire.......Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy".

susiestar

Roll With It
Sending support and one warning - long term use of benzodiazapines can actually CAUSE depression. I had an idiot for a doctor at one point and he had me on valium for 3 months - a fairly high dose too. I became incredibly depressed, could not do anything but stare.

But I have been on and off xanax for years with-o this side effect. Each medication is different, even in the same class of medications. Just somehting to watch for.

I hope your meeting goes well.