Thinking more and more difficult child has sleep issues

StressedM0mma

difficult child fell asleep on the couch at 6:00 last night, and I got her upstairs at 9:45. No shower of course. Woke her up at 6 this morning, to see if she wanted to wash her hair as she planned. Too tired. It is like she has only had 4-5 hours of sleep. Can't even keep her eyes open. She is completely exhausted. She did tell me that when we wake her up she has absolutely no recollection of our conversations. When I had her go up to bed last night she asked me why I didn't wake her for the induction ceremony.???
Well, off to try to get her up and to school on time since I am the driver today. easy child just told me she is sick. And she takes others with them.

Ktllc

Mention it to the psychiatrist and ask for a sleep study. It is one night at the hospital and is not invasive at all. My husband had it done and was diagnosis with sleep apnea.
V will go for a sleep study in 2 weeks. Even if nothing is found, at least you would have ruled out something. Then you could look at other reasons for her chronic fatigue. I guess it is always good to rule out physical issues before assuming it is all in the head, Know what I mean?.

And as she is 14, I would suggest talking about it and ask for her input. I am a big believer in talking (when it is possible, I know sometimes it can make things worst).

StressedM0mma

Thanks. I have already talked to her about it, and at this point we both (and husband) just want to find out what is going on with her. I definitely plan on asking for a sleep study. I told her that I am going to let her sleep this weekend without waking her so that I can see how much she sleeps. I have been keeping a journal of behaviors since Thanksgiving to see if we can find any patterns.
I mentioned before that she has had problems sleeping for a long time. Her patterns have always been off. And her pediatrician. just dismissed it and gave her klonipin to try to make her sleep. All it did was increase her anger. Not what we needed. I am mad at myself for not being more forceful with the pediatrician. and make him do more. I was too trustworthy. I have learned my lesson though. If I want something for her, and no one is listening I need to demand it. I feel like if I had pushed it sooner, we may have never had to get to this point. Sigh. Breathe.

Ktllc

Don't beat yourself up... no good will come out of that. And keep in mind hat, sometimes, we need to let things go a little before getting the help that we/our children need. Just to put it in perspective: my difficult child being so young, a lot of strategies/therapies that would be beneficial are simply not offered because he has not completly collapsed yet. Very frustrating: the "being proactive" method does not always work.
So just remember what you know now and try to manage the best you can.
Does your daughter admits that something is different about her? She might be angry about it but does she see it? Have you talked to her and is she able to come up with solutions (even if those solutons are not ideal)?
Getting help means a lot of testing and it can be scary/boring for our kids. I find it very helpful to explain to V why we go see such and such doctor. Of course, at his age I keep it very simle and try to give real life examples. It is also important to give a positive light to all the testing and therapy: we don't go looking for what is wrong, we going looking for solution on what we already know is a challenge. I know it seems like playing with words, but I believe it makes a difference.

StressedM0mma

That is exactly what I have been doing for difficult child. I have told her we are trying to figure out what is going on to help her, and let her be happy. Her answer is then just let me sleep. That is all she wants to do. I know with depression you want to sleep, but 16+ hours seems so excessive to me. We have seen a stretch of 21 almost 22 from her. And we woke her then because we were worried.

Chaosuncontained

I am not saying this is what is going on with your difficult child, but I have a stepson who is 15 and he sleeps A LOT. 12-16 hours if we let him. I think teenagers just want/need more sleep. My 13 yr old step daughter is the same way. Even when we wake them they act like they are still soooo tired. I know when I sleep too much I feel worse when I wake.

My Carson, though. He often falls asleep in class. And he gets about 10-11 hours of sleep a night. Often complains he is "so tired". I ask him "did you sleep good last night?" and he will often say "no". I ask if he woke a lot in the night or had "bad" dreams. His answer is always no.

Then again, sometimes he has an awful time going to sleep. Over last weekend, all in one night, he got up, ate three pieces of cake, colored a picture of Yoda and tried to watch a movie in the kids living room. We never knew until the other kids (he woke them too) told us the next morning.

When Carson is depressed he sleeps little. When I am depressed, I don't *sleep* a lot, but I want to lay around all day because I feel tired.

Hope you figure it all out soon. Sleep, or lack of it has soooo many different "causes".

T

TeDo

Although I whole-heartedly agree a sleep study is necessary and will likely reveal the problem, I do happen to have a thought. Another issue that causes fatigue is low iron (anemia). That is easy to check. Just a little blood draw.

InsaneCdn

Good point, TeDo... and while they are at it, check thyroid too.

Not instead of sleep study, but as well as... both kinds of issues could exist at the same time.

And... just saw your other update, about sleeping 16+ hours...
Could it be MONO?

Last edited:

buddy

I have been keeping a journal of behaviors since Thanksgiving to see if we can find any patterns.

so good. this will probably just validate what you already know but will look like NEW info to a doctor! A suggestion if you are not doing it.... add her menses cycles into the equation.

Also think the medical testing is really important. I felt like such a crumb when I had confirmed (though as you... i had been asking all alone) that the "fake" feelings, and anxiety were seizures. Really stinks to have that feeling of time lost due to a mis-diagnosis. You will get to the bottom of this. Even Q likes it when I say, hey..we are a team... team (last name) and we will figure this out. You might not like all the things mommy does, but I am on your side and we are gonna figure this out. I did it again last night when he was in the tub and he gave me a high five.

StressedM0mma

She is on Zoloft. She started it the end of June. Prior to that she was taking Celexa. On the Celexa we dealt with the anger and outbursts but nothing like this. Not the constant always angry. It is scary.