thinking of going back 2 school

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I must be mad, I keep looking at "Psycho-Social rehabilitation" I have one year of credits in Music Education from 1990-1991. So I'd have a ways to go for my Masters.

I guess I feel I am eating and breathing difficult child's and their issues, I know I want to advocate to change this screwy system, so a degree in the field seems logical.

am I nuts?:confused:

N

Nomad

I say...go for it. Just put one foot in front of the other. If you don't have your first degree...do that first...then see what happens. Wishing you well.

TerryJ2

Nope. I was just about to say, "Look at Nomad," and she beat me to it!
Way To Go, Nomad!
I think it's a great idea, Amazed. You have way more experience than anyone could get from a book. Just imagine how powerful and influentual you can be when you combine the stats with-your real life experience. I think it's a neat idea.

I remember reading a Dear Abby column yrs ago, about a person who was thinking about going back to school to become a dr. at age 40. Her reply was, "And how old will you be if you don't go back to school to become a dr.?"

My thoughts exactly!

crazymama30

just do it!!! I have been going back to school part time for what will be 3 years now. My life has been complete chaos, but I still love it. I was hoping to get in the nursing program, but did not. I will continue to take classes, and am going to take "The Pschology of Violence & Aggression" this fall and then in spring I hope to take "Abnormal Psychology" the study of disorders. I think I would like to get a minor in psychology, but really do not know what I would do with it other than work in psychiatric nursing. I think that would be interesting.

You Can Do It!!!

muttmeister

Just do it.
I got my masters when I was 57. In a lot of ways it's easier than doing it when you're 25.
If it's something you want to do, go for it.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Go for it for sure! I'm so proud of my sister who is going back to school to get her nursing degree! She just finished her first degree a couple of years ago. She'll be 44 when she is done and isn't regretting it at all!

judi

I certainly would advise returning to school - got my masters at 45. I would not endorse choosing a field because of our children. I'm an advanced practice nurse - have been a nurse since way before we began having our problems with our son. In some ways, it has been nice to know the medications, txs, dxs, etc., that the counselors, physicians, psychiatrists are discussing. However, on the flip side, I'm too close to the situation to be of real help and I would never ever choose to do psychiatric nursing.

I worked in an inner city level one trauma center ER for 10 years during the time our difficult child was at his worst. I dealt with the homeless, mentally ill every single shift. Because of my son, I have compassion for the drug addicts, the homeless and the mentally ill. However, also because of my son, I feel too much to be of much use to them.

This is why I work only very part time in the ER nowadays and work very full time in nephrology - lol.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's funny you should post this as I was just thumbing through the local JC catalog thinking... hmmm, that class sounds like fun! Oooh, what about THIS one? I'm not really interested in getting another degree, but I am always up for expanding my knowledge...

I say go for it!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Why not??

If it's what you want to do then go do it. And who knows, while you're at it you may find something you want to do even more. You never can tell. lol :D

Currently easy child is torn between being a flight nurse for Care Flight or going ahead with her plans of being a doctor. (the stress junkie lol)

Life has caused her to alter her plans, but she just keeps plodding on.

You can do it.

Hugs

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Go for it! This system is so screwed up we need every advocate we can get.

However, I would like to see you do something of this nature & importance you do it for yourself. You may be interested in something else.

If I were to go back to school now it would have nothing whatsoever to do with difficult children ~ it might be art or music. Something I would enjoy. Something to consider.

Ramona

You should go for it. I returned to school part time this year and it has made a huge difference in my self esteem and general additude.

I think getting a degree in this feild is a wonderful idea. Sometimes it takes experienceing something to help you understand what you want out of an education and a career.

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
Yup - go for it. I've been contemplating grad school for years now. I'm finally taking a review course for the GRE. The program I'm intersted in has nothing to do with difficult child's, but is related to my career and interests. They don't take new admissions in the Spring, so I'm hoping to be officially accepted for Fall '09. In the meantime, I've already been taking classes as a continuing ed. student. I'll have 9 credits towards my degree by the time I enter the program.

I highly recommend taking a course and seeing how you like it. Talk to your professor and the faculty where you're thinking of applying.

Good luck!:beautifulthing:

Genny

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Add me to the "Go for it" group ;)

I've recently been thinking about it as well. I am not so sure it would be related to difficult child issues, however, advocacy has crossed my mind more than a few hundred. Someone has to be their voice.

I think going will feed you in so many ways that if in the end you choose something entirely different, it will still be great!!!

B

butterflydreams

Go for it! I had wanted to go back to school for years. This last spring was my first semester back to school and I took 2 classes. I just confirmed yesterday that the Pell Grant is there for me this year. I will be taking 2 classes again fall term at the local community college. I have had alot of people say "how can you do that" and my therapist says she thought it was too much added stress. I say this is for me and I have put myself on the back burner for too long and I need to do this for me! Going part time will take longer - but hey I'm going! Right now it is for an associates degree and after I get that, I will decide if I go on for a Bachelors.

Christy

KTMom91

Go for it! I went back for my credential 12 years ago. I was a single parent, had just bought a house, living on student loans, but I did it and I've never regretted it.

neednewtechnique

I too have made the stressful decision of going back to school, and I am in a psychology program, when I am finished, I will have my PsyD in clinical psychology. My main concentrations are abnormal adolescent psychology and human sexuality. As crazy as it sounds, I really want to work with Adolescent difficult child's. I would not say that I picked this field because of my experiences with my kids, but the knowledge and experience I get from working through the behavior plans with the therapist, the medications with the psychiatrist, etc will be very valuable to me.

I would always encourage someone to go back to school if they are really interested in doing so. Especially with our responsibilities for raising difficult child's, it is important for us to remember to take time to do things for ourselves on occasion. School is my one escape from that, and that is when I get my "me" time.