This is for my own good......

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
isn't it mom? That's what kt asked me after a 1.5 hour meltdown over the television off (for kt @ 8:30) & in her room rule of the household. kt can read, play quietly, whatever but tv's are off & it's time to settle down for sleep.

Even husband & myself tend to do this to settle down to sleep.

husband let kt know that it was time for television to go off. He didn't, however, give kt the normal 5 minute mark. That time that our difficult children get to moan & groan on how awful we are as parents; what mean rules, oh god, the expectations, etc, etc, etc,

After a certain point, husband tagged off to me. :hammer:

kt fought this last night; I wasn't in a power struggle mode & let kt know that it was up to her - turn off television & head to room or lose television privileges until further notice. Gave kt the five minute warning & off she went again. Bigger & badder than before.

All the time screaming that this is torture, someone is going to hear and call the police, kt headed up to her bedroom. I helped her pick out the few things she wanted to play with - quietly reminded her to feed Cheese the fish, while she is still screaming; I'm still timing.

kt stopped right on the 5 minute mark - she's such an endearing child. :angel: Just makes you want to sit down & snuggle the night away with her - NOT! However, she did make it & for that I'm proud.

As I was sitting in the rocking chair in her room, helping her settle she told me that I was doing this "nasty rule sh!t" to her so she would grow up & be normal - "get my driver's license". Yup, that's right kt. Every society has rules - if you can't follow the household rules you are going to struggle in the community.

"I know, mom"

What a ktbug. Some nights it just makes me just want to run screaming from the room & disavow all knowledge of this child :crazy: :surprise:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
As usual you sound like you handled it well. An hour and a half meltdown is a long one. Good for her that she was able to get it together after the 5 minute warning was given and that she figured out you were doing it for her own good since goodness knows most of us moms are just making rules for the heck of it :wink:

Linda,

Like Sharon said, you handled kt's meltdown so well!!! I'm impressed. It is hard to deal with any sort of meltdown, never mind the lengthy ones...

Here's to RESPITE this weekend :smile: :happy_new_year:!!! WFEN

Penta

I'm sorry kt is in overdrive mode.

This is typical teen behavior multiplied to the nth degree because of kt's disorders. Typical teens can be extremely manipulating and are constantly testing the rules. Being the parent of an adolescent is not for the faint of heart and being the parent of an adolescent with issues like kt's can be almost unbearable, even for a healthy adult.

Your body is in a weakened state and you need as much time as you can to rest and recover. So glad RESPITE is on the docket for you for the weekend.

Take care.

Coookie

Well Linda,

I agree with the others, as usual you handled it very well. :smile: and good for kt for stopping "right on the 5 min mark". :smile: Course she couldn't have done it on the 3 or 4... right? :crazy:

Here's to respite.. :smile: and hope we can meet for coffee on Saturday. :smile:

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
Sounds like you handled things well. I guess her opinion on the Why's might be helpful at some point. At about age 5 difficult child got the opinion that New Year's Eve was the night parents stayed up all night figuring out ways to torture kids the next year (read new rules). So, after many years of denying this, I finally just said Yup. That is what it is all about. When you are an adult and have kids you can do it too. It's lots of fun.

He now only brings it up seriously about every 6 months or so.

Susie

blb

On the five minute mark exactly??? :rofl:

Well, she is consistent, isn't she? Well, on the positive side of things, at least she stopped :angel:

How dare you want to make her "normal" and "functioning" you mean mom, you!!! :devil: :rofl:

TerryJ2

LOL!

I'm sorry... it's just the way you wrote it.

My difficult child used to scream and yell and stomp and throw things all the way to his rm every night on his way to bed, not to mention when he went to Time Out.

Then one day, it occurred to me in a flash that he was actually being obedient and doing what I told him to do. He was just doing it in a really obnoxious way.

I perked up after that because I realized that progress was being made.

The fact that KT knows intellectually why you and she are doing what you're doing is real progress.

Now, for the emotional side of things ...

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Oh that made me giggle. Because I think I could relate to the being able to stop on a dime like that.

How could you possibly want her to grow up normal? What kind of a parent are you (hehehehe)?

Hope you get your respite this weekend.

Beth

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
You know, they don't call me timer lady for nothing! :rofl: When it's been important to kt or wm they could stop the rage/meltdown on a dime - knowing I mean business.

kt's computer game & television is very very important to her right now - there is now way on god's green earth that she is going to lose it because she wants her way. :hammer:

You gotta love difficult children :clubbing: