This is priceless

Kathy813

Staff member
I took difficult child out today for a mother daughter shopping trip. I had gone to a speciality lingerie store for a bra fitting a few months ago and thought difficult child would enjoy getting a fitting. She is ~ how should I say this ~ rather small in that department which has always driven her crazy since easy child and I are on the other side of the spectrum.

Anyway, on the way to the mall, I asked difficult child is she had gotten her car fixed (when we went to get it inspected the week before, she was told that she had to get an axle fixed).

She said no because she had to pay an unexpectedly high electric bill. She indignantly told me that it was $175 this month and that she couldn't believe it was that high. This was the girl who turned down our thermostat to 60 degrees every time that we left the house despite our repeated requests that she leave the thermostat at 78 degrees.

Adulthood bites, doesn't it? :rofl:

I have to admit that I brought up all the times that we had to turn the thermostat back up to 78 and she got a devilish grin and said, "Yeah, I told my roommate about that."

Here's the kicker, though. difficult child told me that her roommate's mom had told them that their bill would be lower if they stopped switching back and forth from heat to air.

Heat???? I said, "Surely you are not using heat in July in Georgia." She said, "Well, we like to have the heat on when we take showers."

So they are heating the apartment and then using air to cool it down and are surprised about the high electric bill.

I suggested that they get a small space heater and use that in the shower instead.

We actually had a delightful day. It's kind of fun watching reality hit difficult child.

~Kathy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they are heating the apartment and then using air to cool it down </div></div>

Gotta give them high fives for ingenuity, Kathy. :thumb:

:rofl: :slap: :rofl:

Suz

DammitJanet

HEAT!!!!

Wouldnt it be easier to simply open a darned window????

Im dying of the heat in NC and surely to gosh it has to be even hotter in GA! I would break the hand of the first person to even attempt to turn my unit on to the heater in July...lol. I cant even bear to turn the hair dryer on during the summer.

Good lord.

Kathy813

Staff member
If difficult child is true to form, they are keeping the apartment really cold and then turn on the heat to take their showers and then turning back on the air to cool it off again.

It didn't seem to occur to them that this was going to run up the bill.

~Kathy

DazedandConfused

It was 115 where I live, today. The mere THOUGHT of turning on the heat makes me nauseous. :faint:

I'm with Janet on this one. Jeez, open a window!

Hopefully, difficult child had a "connect the dots" moment when she had to plunk down the money for the bill. :rofl:

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Sometimes experience is the best teacher......its especially effective when tied to the purse strings.........

Sue C

They must really have their apartment freezing cold if they are that shivering cold when they get out of their showers. Turning on the heat for a shower is a new one for me.

Hope they've learned they need to keep their air at a more reasonable temp.

Sue

donna723

Well, live and learn, I guess! Now they know not to do that anymore!

:rofl:

If there's an A/C vent in the bathroom, can they not just close the vent when they're using the shower? Oh ... wait a minute ... that's the EASY way! Never mind.

:bath: