This study needs your help!!

lswanlu

Dear Parents,

Thank you to those of you who have participated in our study examining your experiences with the services your child has received for his/her special needs! I really appreciate your time.

Unfortunately we have not received nearly the number of responses we had hoped. If you have not participated, PLEASE DO IT! I understand that conductdisorders.com is primarily meant to provide support for parents, not be a research site. I know you always have a lot on your plate, but I am trying to encourage you to participate without annoying you with daily reminders.

Here is the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/R5FBHKC

The more responses we get for the survey, the better the likelihood that the research will be published and therefore, influence current treatment practices. If the number of respondents is too small, the data cannot be analyzed. I know a lot of people think that publication of a study only benefits the author but that is not true. Positive changes benefit children. Not very many people conduct research about students with mental health problems in schools and almost no one studies their parents (YOU!). The first step to getting this information outside of small groups is publication, and that cannot be done unless we hear from you about what has worked and has not worked for your child, and how the mental health and school personnel have treated you. The original deadline for responding was Feb 5th. You can start the survey and come back to it if needed. In addition, please tell other parents you know who would qualify to participate about the study.

Participants may be any parent or guardian of a child aged 3-18 living in the United States who have emotional and/or behavioral needs (i.e. autism, Asperger's syndrome, ODD, ADHD, depression, and so on). Your child does not have to have a diagnosis to participate.

I wish I could provide incentives for participation. I will, however, be available to provide advice and support in navigating the school system by email.

I know that it is possible to more than double the response rate; the first survey Martie's Loyola team launched in 2006 brought in over 600 responses qualifying it as a 'large' study. This survey does not have to have that many parents respond, but at least 200 of you are really needed in order for the data to be analyzed.

Thank you very much for your time!

Laura

Last edited:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Can I forward the link to some of the parents I know at K's school? They have Autistic children.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
And for anyone wondering how much time it takes to complete, it was very quick for me :) So go for it! You'll be helping a lot of people who are in the same boat.

tiredmommy

I want to personally invite those that lurk to participate in this study. Too much of the literature has perpetuated the assumption that parenting and family life is behind many of our children's' issues. This colors the way that educators, psychologists, school administrators and health care professionals are trained and therefore deal with the parents and caregivers of our difficult children.

I also ask that you pass this link on to other parenting resources so that Laura can get as big a sample as possible for this study. Many of us have contact with other parents of difficult children and this is an opportunity to help have their voices heard as well.

This is chance for us to give back by continuing to lay the groundwork for more tolerant school environments.

Thank you.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I can send the link to the staff where kt attends day treatment who may or may not pass it along to their parents.

I can do the same to the transitional school wm attends. I'll do my best to get some to respond.

I agree that the lurkers should come out of hiding to do this as well. It's an important study.

house of cards

I completed the survey for Major, but I could do it for at least 1 more if you allow more then 1 response for a family. Let me know if you would consider that.

BusynMember

This is a worthwhile survey for those of us who care about our kids in school. I took it for my Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) son and it took me all of twenty minutes. It's easy and doesn't make you think "Does he or doesn't he?" Ugh. I hate tests like that...lol.

justour2boys

Momto2Boys
I took the survey as I have 2 difficult children. I answered questions in relationship to one difficult child and then I tried to take the survey again for my other difficult child, but I was unable.

Which is to bad... I have 2 difficult children with two very different experiences with the school!

lswanlu

Hi Justour2boy,
Thanks for completing the survey. The reason you can't fill it out again is probably because you are using the same computer. If you have access to another computer and you still can't take it again let me know.

Thanks so much!
Laura

In case the link is getting hard to find, here it is:

lswanlu

[FONT=&quot]Thanks again to everyone who has participated! There are currently 15 surveys that have been started but not completed. If you have not finished the survey, or have not taken it yet, we would really appreciate for you to take the time to do so.

Thank you very much!

[/FONT]http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/R5FBHKC

Estherfromjerusalem

Laura,

I would happily participate, but I don't think that the services (or lack of them) that exist in Israel are relevant to your survey.

Good luck with the survey.

Love, Esther

Quick note: We have a student placement review on Wednesday at which point they will tell us if difficult child is suspended or moved into an ED classroom (not really appropriate and certain not LRE, but what do they care?). I started the survey but figured I should really wait until after the review meeting. I promise I'll finish it!

Martie

Laura now has about 30 surveys that were started but not finished. COME ON!!! If you would like to see what happens to research studies, Cheryl converted the PPT the team delivered last week at NASP (National Association of School Psychologists) and you can look at it if you like. It was well-received and I got nods of agreement from the audience when I pointed out that blaming parents solves nothing and makes cooperation between family and school very difficult.

PLEASE fill out Laura's survey if you haven't done so. She needs about another 75 people to reach the N she needs.

Thanks to all of you who forwarded the link. We have no idea if anyone responded off this site, but anyone who has a child in the US with emotional/behavioral problems is eligible to participate. If you have a second difficult child, please respond from a different computer if you can.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!

Martie

lswanlu

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that the survey will be closing in 48 hours. If you have not yet completed the survey, I would like to take these final moments to encourage you to contribute to this study. Your participation is extremely valuable.

If you have participated, fantastic! I can not thank you enough for your time and support!

I will be getting the results to you all in the next couple of months.

Laura

Sheila

I hadn't read this thread in a good while. I'll send the link to some parents I know who have special needs children.

Thanks for your research -- it's sorely needed.