Thought I was going to lose my Annie Oakley last night.

Mom2oddson

Annie is my 10 yr-old lab and she's a garbage hound for sure. Well, sometime Sunday night, she got in the garbage. It's nothing new for her. At noon on Monday, she started throwing up. She did it about 4 times and then stopped. Just seemed to be tired after that.

Then yesterday afternoon, she started to have this nasty smell coming from her mouth and she wouldn't move. The other dogs were just laying next to her with their ears back and tails tucked between their legs. I was really sure she was on her way out.

I made her a special bed on the living room floor and stayed there with her. Made her drink a little water every little while. Annie wouldn't even bark or raise her head when the other dogs barked. And Annie is my big protector, she ALWAYS is the first one to do the barking.

I fell asleep around 2am. husband got home at 4 am. Annie was standing at the top of the stairs barking like crazy to welcome daddy home. She started walking around the house, her tail is up and wagging and she was begging for food! And the other dogs were all happy and wagging their tails too. Plus, 90% of the smell is gone.

I'm so relieved (but a bit apprehensive - afraid that is could be a rally before death). I've got my fingers crossed and saying my prayers. I still need my girl.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmm could she have gotten something out of the trash that caused her bowel to be obstructed? Even a partial obstruction would make her feel awful until the food made it's way past the narrowed opening.

Hopefully she just ate something that didn't agree with her and now she'll be fine. Keeping fingers crossed and saying a prayer.

Hugs

donna723

Hopefully she just ate something that didn't agree with her and is over it by now, but I'd keep a very close eye on her for a while Is she pooping normally? If there's an obstruction partially blocking things off, she would feel better when some of the food got past it but the obstruction would still be here. Dogs can keep foreign objects in their stomachs for a looooong time too. If she shows any more signs of distress at all, I'd get her in to the vet for an X-ray. I know a girl who lost a beautiful hound when he got into the garbage and ate something that was inside of a plastic bag. The plastic bag was removed surgically but by the time the surgery was done he was already very sick and he died anyway. Not to scare you but dogs can swallow some really weird things ... one of my Bostons once managed to swallow (and then throw up) a chunk of foam rubber that was bigger than her whole head!

M

Mamaof5

Don't forget flipped stomach syndrome. Medium to larger breeds are quite susceptible to this. Here's to hoping it's just a disagreeable luncheon at chez garbage