Thought I would share

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by 4sumrzn, Jul 9, 2008.

1. 4sumrzn

4sumrzn New Member

The amazing difference between regular summer camp & special needs camp for difficult child.

I'm blown away. This is week 3 with last week being vacation......she was EXCITED to go Monday morning :surprise:. She's even been giving me a kiss & saying "bye Mom". Uhhhh.......tears from me walking down the hall every time. It only took the first few days of camp for her to stop crying when I left & crying when I picked her up (like she hadn't seen me in days).

She even has pointed out her "friends" to me. The camp is limited to 30 children....all with different disabilites. I really believe she feels like she "fits in".

Just wanted to share.....not very often I get a Happy Mommy Heart going on feeling that difficult child is happy too! (now I just need to knock on wood & pray I didn't just jinx myself~I know how that goes)

Thanks for listening.

2. Steely

Steely Active Member

Oh..........I am welling up.
    I SO hope difficult child has a successful 3 weeks.
    Many hugs.

3. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

What an awesome post to read. I'm so glad the camp is going so well:)

4. slsh

slsh member since 1999

OK, we'll all just cross fingers and eyes and ward off board jinx - that should work! ;)

What a fabulous post to read, really. I'm just so tickled she's having a positive experience - they can be so few and far between. Sounds like you found an excellent opportunity for her. Great job, Mom!

Yeah, difficult child! Hope she continues to have a blast!

5. klmno

klmno Active Member

What a successful summer!! I'm so glad that you found this for her- she'll remember it forever probably! It is soooo nice when they feel like they fit in and they are happy- we might never know how much good that does them!

6. Andy

Andy Active Member

Oh how awesome!!! My kids never liked day camps and would never even consider overnight camps - they just never were right for them. It is so uplifting when our difficult children find something they really do enjoy.

7. bran155

bran155 Guest

Great news!!! I am so happy for you and her. It's really nice she is making friends and feeling like she fits in. That is a major step for our children. You must feel such a sense of relief dropping her off knowing she is happy. That is wonderful. :)

8. Big Bad Kitty

Big Bad Kitty lolcat

It is SO nice to read a post like this. There have been so many struggling difficult children this summer! I am absolutely thrilled for you and your daughter.

*smiles*

9. Christy

Christy New Member

So happy for you both :)

10. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

I love to hear about positives. I am so glad she likes it.

11. Shari

Shari IsItFridayYet?

That is awesome. Hope it continues for you BOTH!

12. flutterbee

flutterbee Guest

This is so wonderful!

13. tryinghard

tryinghard New Member

That is so great!

14. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's great. Obviously you made the right choice.
    What a relief and a joy at the same time.