Thunderbird Email Users

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by PorcupineWhisperer, Mar 15, 2008.

1. PorcupineWhisperer

PorcupineWhisperer New Member

I have recently downloaded the latest version Thunderbird email program as an alternative to Outlook. It works ok except that I can't send emails from it. I receive them fine but when I try to reply, I get an smtp error message. I am using XP and had no issues when I was using Outlook. Any ideas?

2. flutterbee

flutterbee Guest

It's been a long time since I used thunderbird. I'm assuming you verified the outgoing server address?

Might just be that your ISP's outgoing mail server is down and will work later.

3. witzend

witzend Well-Known Member

Check your outgoing mail settings in Thunderbird - Account Settings - to verify that your outgoing mail server is set correctly. It should be the same as what was set up in Outlook.

4. PorcupineWhisperer

Thanks for the responses. Thing's are good on the ISP's end and the outgoing server is set up just like Outlook. Oh well, maybe something will turn up.

5. witzend

Is your outgoing server the same as your incoming server? ie:

outgoing comcast.net
    incoming comcast.net

It should be...

6. PorcupineWhisperer

The outgoing server is smpt.The incoming server is pop3. I tried changing the outgoing to pop3, but it didn't help.

7. flutterbee

flutterbee Guest

Contact your ISP customer service. They can help you make sure it's set up correctly.

8. witzend

husband says that should be right.