Time for a CD board road trip......

Marguerite

Meanwhile I'm happy to get on board the bus to see a bit of snow.

My sister visited Niagara Falls when I was very young, she said it was frozen and they actually walked behind the falls, it was like a big cave. She sent photos (slides). Maybe it was another large falls somewhere there? It was back in the early 60s some time. It was also a very cold Canadian winter, they were in Quebec and Montreal at the time (she was married in Ontario) and they also sent photos of a house on fire that they couldn't put out because the water turned to ice as it left the fire hoses. They went to a movie and when they came out, a blizzard had buried the car. They had to go back next day with shovels to dig it out.

She lives in the sub-tropical north of NSW and says she never wants to see snow again!

But there are a lot of great places you guys are mentioning. Plus we have friends in Philly we'd love to drop in on.

Marg

Andy

Thank you everyone! It has been so nice to come here and join our road trip this week. We have such wonderful places around the world and though I can not physically make it to all of them, this mental vacation was awesome. It did take me away on a ride of a life time. I will keep several of these places in mind if one day I do take a "real" trip.

If anyone else would like to hop aboard, I am willing to stay on the bus. Let me know what to see when the bus comes to your home area. (Remember, the bus knows no road limitations and can cross an ocean or any body of water in seconds. Looking forward to some more around the world stops.)

The Corn Cob Palace is in South Dakota - Wall, SD? It is an awesome thing to see -what a lot of work put into it. My sister and I visited it a few years ago. It is close enough to the Black Hills to visit lots of places - Mount Rushmore, Custard's Last Stand Monument, Bear Country, Devil's Tower, ect. ect. ect.

Another "off road" thing to do is "The Enchanted Highway". Exit from I-94 in North Dakota. A guy builds sculptures along the road between I-94 and his home town as a way to lure tourists to his town. I bet you can google it and get more info. Very cool!

Marguerite

What about while the bus is in Australia, we head up to the tropical north? Swimming at the moment in the ocean is a bit risky, it's Irukanji season, but there are plenty of swimming pools we can enjoy. Or we can put on a surf suit and be fairly safe in the ocean, especially if we want to snorkel around the Great Barrier Reef. Then we head in to the rainforests, it's shady and cool in there. The mountain range is not far inland, the Great Dividing Range. Not as high as mountains in the rest of the world.

Or if you want a change from cold winter but aren't ready to put up with a scorching Aussie summer, head over to New Zealand. THEY have mountains! Want to get warm - go to Rotarua and look at the boiling mud. We really enjoyed New Zealand, I would love to go there again. About an hour south of Rotarua is Lake Taupo, a huge volcanic caldera. Let's buy some fish, put it in a freezer bag and bury it in the black pumice at the edge of the lake in a hot spot. The fish should cook through in about ten minutes. Careful where you step - but the lake should be pleasant to wade in at this time of the year especially. Just don't step too close to the steaming spots, you won't get scalded.

Those of us with sore joints or any aching muscles - let's go to the outdoor hot springs in Taupo township. We went to DeBrett's and even though it was only about 3 C (37.4 F) out of the water (because the springs are outdoors) we did not feel cold when we got out and walked to the change-rooms. I had also misplaced my swimsuit, so they lent me one (found it a few days later when we went to South Island). We spent a week in Taupo and didn't come close to fitting in everything. The place is gorgeous, the food is fresh, plentiful, great quality and cheap. ANd that soak in the hot spring - it was brilliant! I realise now, I had just developed new and major symptoms of bursitis in my hips and the springs made it feel so much better. I got myself right under the spot where the spring flowed from the hillside into the top pool (the warmest) to soothe my shoulders. The water at the time was pouring out at 42 C (107.6) but sometimes it can be hotter. When we felt too hot, easy child & I went to a lower (and cooler) pool, where there was a spa bed which we could lie on (still hot, still mineral-loaded) and let the bubble jets vibrate our muscles.

So if the cold is getting to you - let's try there. And if we feel up to it we can take the bus up the top of Mt Ruapehu, the only ski-field in the world on the side of an active volcano. Or we could take a helicopter to the top and get a peek at the small crater lake that develops up there. That's where they filmed the Mt Doom scenes for LOTR, we were told. And just above the ski resort is where they did the Gates of Mordor.

Check out the vineyards there, too. But we'd have to go to South Island and also make an appointment, to go visit Sam Neill's own vineyard.

There's a great B&B just outside Christchurch I'd like to re-visit, too. Huntingdon Grange. Cheaper than a motel, ten times as luxurious with breakfast thrown in.

There are so many wonderful places, we're going to have to add a time warp to the space warp we're having to use, to visit everywhere.

Marg

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Wow, Marge! I have learned so much from all your posts! I knew about those jelly fish but had not heard they were named irukandji. I wikipediaed the creatures and came across "envenimization". I thought I was educated but that is a new word for me...

I love the fact that we come from all over. The struggle is world wide isn't it?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
When you stop off to grab Heather, grab me too. I suppose while you're in southern ohio you could stop off and see serpent mound (I still don't think it's a serpent, I think it's and egg and sperm myself lol) and go to the Ancient History Museum in cincy.

You all can sight see and I'll bring along my pillow and blankets for a nice long nap in the car. :D

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Since we're heading out to Seattle we have to visit the troll under the Fremont bridge. It's a huge sculpture under the bridge holding a vintage VW bug. It's an awesome sight.

Head north to Deception Pass, hit the ferry & visit the San Juan Islands.

Star*

call 911........call 911
WE ARE STOPPING SOMEWHERE SO I CAN PET A DONKEY!!!!!!!!

ARE WE THERE YET?
ARE WE THERE YET?
.......ARE WE THERE YET?

:tongue: