Tinity and Shari--Aspie Q

TerryJ2

On another thread, Trinity asked how to get her difficult child unstuck when he harps on the same thing over and over.
What is aspie about that as opposed to adhd? My difficult child is much better but occasionally still does it. I'm still wondering about shades of aspie with-him.
Thanks,
Terry

trinityroyal

Terry, I think a lot of the behaviours that we see in Aspergers and ADHD are common, and lots of people are diagnosed with both (myself included)

The thing that strikes me about the harping is that it seems to be perseveration, which is so typically Aspie. To just get stuck on something to the point of obsession, whether it be for 5 minutes or 5 years.

It's sort of binary...there's a switch that toggles on and stays on until you find just the right thing to shut it off. But there's only one thing. And there are thousands of other things that won't turn it off.

I think in some ways it's a matter of degree. That level of persistence seems to come with Aspergers, rather than ADHD.

Just my $0.02

Trinity

susiestar

Roll With It
Terry,

As it was explained to me, ADHD is a facet of Asperger's in people who have asperger's. It is part of the disorder. It is usually listed as a separate diagnosis because tehn you get more services.

Aspies get stuck on an idea. They just can't move past. (This was described as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)-lite to me at one point). Wizard moved WAY past that into full Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

I know one doctor said your son doesn't have Asperger's, but so much of what you describe is very much like Wizard. It might be worth another opinion. I have to say that an Aspie diagnosis opens doors to a LOT of services, under the autism umbrella. It might very well help your family in the long run.

Hugs,

Susie

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Terry, I apologize, I totally missed this post! Glad they answered your question, but sorry I missed it. (hand held out for smacking...)

Marguerite

Some people consider ADHD to be part of the autism spectrum. There are so many ideas changing about autism, who knows how it will be defined in five years' time?

And from our own experience, just because someone says your child isn't Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), doesn't mean that is so. Both our boys still have people arguing over labels. Even difficult child 3, who I thought had been firmly established as autistic instead of Asperger's - the speech pathologist who assessed him two weeks ago, and who has know him for the past few years, reckons he's Aspie instead of classic autistic.

Go figure. But always take a "no, it's definitely not," with a grain of salt.

Marg

TerryJ2

I know. I have to stick with-my Mommy Instinct.
We've got an appointment with-the child psychiatric today, and difficult child will be there.
I'm typing up some things.