Tiny Fawn

F

flutterbee

This tiny deer was delivered by Cesarean section at a wildlife hospital after his mother was killed by a car. Little Rupert, who is so small he can fit in an adult's hand, was born after vets failed in their battle to save his mother.

At just six inches tall and weighing just over a pound, he is now in an incubator in the intensive care unit at Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital in Buckinghamshire.

He has only recently opened his eyes.

Les Stocker, founder of Tiggywinkles, said: ˜Rupert's mother had very severe injuries. We brought him out and got him breathing and then he went into an incubator on oxygen. He is now being fed by a tube."

Staff are optimistic Rupert, now five days old, will make a full recovery.

˜Deer are very, very tricky but this one has spirit. He's an extremely feisty little guy and quite pushy", Mr Stocker said.

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/wyntersgrace/Tiny Fawn/

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This is gonna sound callous no matter how I say it. But I'm surprised they even bothered given the deer population and the fact he was so tiny.

But he's adorable. :D

F

flutterbee

Given that the location is Buckinghamshire, I'm pretty sure this took place in England.

I think it's a very sweet story. Although, I do see what you are saying, Lisa. But then, I'm one of those that would be screaming, "Save it! Save it!" and doing mouth to mouth resuscitation. Did you see that video on Animal Planet where a deer was heavily pregnant and killed by a car and bystanders cut the baby out and gave it mouth to mouth? This burly guy giving a baby deer mouth to mouth. OMG. I cried like a baby.

Who can resist such a sweet little baby? :D

Wiped Out

Staff member
So adorable. A friend just sent me this yesterday. I'm so glad you shared here, I wanted to but still don't know how to do the picture thing!

Lothlorien

I think it's a very sweet story. Although, I do see what you are saying, Lisa. But then, I'm one of those that would be screaming, "Save it! Save it!" and doing mouth to mouth resuscitation. Did you see that video on Animal Planet where a deer was heavily pregnant and killed by a car and bystanders cut the baby out and gave it mouth to mouth? This burly guy giving a baby deer mouth to mouth. OMG. I cried like a baby.

Sounds like the Grey's Anatomy Episode.

Those pictures are just SOOOO cute! As soon as they came up on my screen, something in my head was just screaming Bambi.

donna723

That's really one of those "Awww!" moments, and I admit that I would probably be the first one to get all sappy over a tiny little fawn. But I seriously doubt if it would have been handled that way if it happened here! In my part of Tennessee, I think there's more deer than people! As someone whose almost-paid-for car was totaled by 'Bambi's mother' jumping out in front of me last February, I don't think they're nearly as pretty as I used to! In places where there's a lot of them, they can be a real road hazard and cause thousands of accidents, injuries and even deaths!

I wonder what they'll do with the fawn when it grows up? Will they turn it loose to get shot by a hunter or run out in front of somebody's car and get hit? I hope it ends up in a game preserve or something like that.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
A little bit cute, no? I would be rallying to keep it! Let's just let it live in the back yard!

F

flutterbee

How could anyone shoot something soooooo darn cute???

When I started dating Wynter's dad, he was so excited because I had a 4 wheel drive Explorer. Made it clear from the get go that there would be NO dead deer on, in, or under my vehicle.

He settled for fishing. But, I made him get a bucket rather than stringing them.

After we divorced and he started hunting again, he fell out of a tree stand. I found that soooo amusing. :devil:

I sincerely doubt that after going through such great lengths to be saved that this little guy is going to be set free to just end up on someone's wall.

DammitJanet

There is a huge difference in a fawn and a grown deer. Decent hunters wouldnt even draw down on a little guy.

We had one run up through our fields not too long ago. He couldnt have been much larger than a Jack Russell dog. Pretty little thing. He walked almost up to the car before he bounced away. We looked all over for momma but couldnt find her. Im sure she wasnt far behind him somewhere.

We knew someone who tried to keep a few deer in their pasture...they stayed for a couple of years..but eventually disappeared.

donna723

Nobody here would ever shoot a fawn either. Actually the legal hunting seasons are coordinated with the deers' breeding seasons so that it is not legal to shoot a doe during the times that they would have a small fawn. This is practically the deer hunting center of the universe where I live and the hunting regulations are so carefully monitored ... there's a 'season' for everything, including bow season, muzzle-loader season, a time period just for kids of a certain age, what you can shoot and where. And it is VERY strictly enforced. Mess up and the game wardens will be all over you. And a game warden can not only arrest you and confiscate your guns - they can confiscate your vehicle!

Honestly, in places like this, if they didn't 'harvest' hundreds of them every year, there'd be so many of them you couldn't drive fifty feet down the road without one jumping out in front of your car! They jump out of the woods or out of a ditch and you don't see them until they're right in front of you! Even more people wreck trying to miss them! The one I hit just came out of nowhere and the passenger side of the front end of my car squarely hit the back half of the deer and slung it off to the side, totaling my car. The deputy that came said that if it had hit the center of the front end of my car instead of to the side, it would have come right up over the hood and through the windshield! This was not a small deer either, it was a doe but a really big solid one!

TerryJ2

Oooh, he IS cute!

We've got a deer overpopulation problem here, for sure. I doubt they would have saved the poor things. Sigh.

F

flutterbee

We've got a people over-population, too. When's hunting season for that?

I'm with Abbey. This is their world, too.