Tipping Camp Counselors

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Bugsy, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy New Member

Hi there,

My easy child is at sleepaway camp for the first time and I have no idea what an appropriate tip is for the counselors. I have a call into the camp but usually they do not give a clear idea.

Anyone with recent experience in this area?

Thanks,
    Bugsy's Mom

2. meowbunny

meowbunny New Member

Never tipped a camp counselor. Never got a tip when I was one. Maybe it is a regional thing?

3. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

I've never heard of that!

4. Suz

Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

I've never heard of it either. It would never occur to me to tip a camp counselor.

Suz

5. DDD

DDD Well-Known Member

Nor have I. DDD

6. On_Call

On_Call New Member

Me neither - never heard of tipping anyone at camp.

7. stepmonster

stepmonster New Member

No way!!!

8. smallworld

smallworld Moderator

My daughter attends an overnight camp that has a no-tipping policy so we haven't faced that issue. We have given the counselors small gifts (similar to teacher holiday gifts) at the end of the session, however.

9. Big Bad Kitty

Big Bad Kitty lolcat

Shucks, only thing we ever tipped at camp was the cows...;)

10. WhymeMom?

WhymeMom? No real answers to life..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bad Kitty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shucks, only thing we ever tipped at camp was the cows...;) </div></div>

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>I bet you went snipe hunting too.....thanks for the laugh!</span>

:smile:

11. meowbunny

meowbunny New Member

I do remember once getting a gift certificate from a mom but it was an extraordinary situation -- I gave her son CPR after an allergic reaction to a bee sting. Other than that, in four years of being a camp counselor, I never knew of anyone receiving a tip or a gift from a parent.

12. jannie

jannie trying to survive....

I definately hear about tipping day camp counselors, but I have not heard about people tipping sleepover camp counselors. I do believe many overnight camps do have the no tipping policy.

Sometimes I give a day camp tip--others times not--If so, it usually a gift card for cold stone or starbucks....I'd like to give more, but I just run out of money !!

13. witzend

witzend Well-Known Member

I have never heard of that, either.