Tired all the Time

M

ML

How normal is it for someone looking at the closer side of 50 than 40 to be tired all the time?

Sure, I'm an older mom of a difficult child but should I be *this* tired?

I've taken Celexa for years now and I'm wondering if that's doing it? I'm on the other side of the big "M" now, so maybe that's it? Do vitamins make a difference? More exercise? I just have zero energy or desire to do anything outside of my routine. Like on the weekends I don't even want to go out to eat and a movie, preferring take out and a dvd. I look at husband sometimes and ask "when did I die"?

Just wondering how is everyone out there close to my age feeling these days?

ML

klmno

ML, I feel this way a LOT. How much "M", stress, exhaustion, depression, or just plain age play into it, I don't know. As far as depression, I think a key indicator for me is whether or not I've lost interest in everything, or if I'm just going thru a phase of slowing down. Do you feel a little more energetic on a real pretty day- even if it doesn't last for as long as it did when you were 25yo? Are you sleeping ok?

I would assume that any medications might need to be re-evaluation'd as we reach changes in life, and cross them. It might be worth a phon call. I hope you feel "perkier" soon!

K

Kjs

I am always tired. I am in the process (lab work) of getting put on bioidentical for menopause. I had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago and just a total different world.

My two sisters 14, 12 years older both started bioidentical. They said they feel better than they have in years. So much more energy. But, they are also working out.

I would have my blood checked for iron levels. Are you sleepy tired or exhausted tired? Low iron would definately make you feel that way.

Hope you feel better.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I over-stressed myself this week with difficult child's carp, and I've knocked myself back into the mono chair today...

So, no advice, just sending an energetic hug! Bloodwork sounds like a good idea, tho!

everywoman

Have you had bloodwork done? Have the dr. check your thyroid. When mine was out of kilter, I was so tired all the time that I couldn't stay awake after work and felt horrible all the time. Is your hair falling out? Is your skin extremely dry? If so, see a dr.

M

ML

Thanks everyone. I think a bloodtest for thyroid and iron, etc. is in order. I did menopause on the early side so that doesn't help.

Hugs :) ML

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
ML

Yep. Good idea to get checked out by a doctor. A good mulitvitamen for older women can be very helpful.

Hugs

I love coffee, and when I'm tired, coffee will do the trick. Also, working out wil help me wake up.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I would say blood work and then look at your medications. I would then add vitamins to your routine. Diet, exercise, good sleep habits etc... all of that fun stuff helps!
I have to really watch it due to my issues and medications.
I am able to usually have pretty good energy.
Sometimes when my hormones are way out of whack, which I can tell, then I can't get going.

Lothlorien

I was going to suggest testing your thyroid, but you got to it. I would also ask you doctor to check for vitamin deficiencies, Lyme's and also for Epstein Barr. How long have you felt like this?

Vitamin deficiencies are super common and most people don't realize it. Vitamin B deficiencies are very common and can be the cause of lethargy. Other vitamins can also be a culprit, but Vitamin B is probably one of the more common ones.

nvts

Hey ML! When you have the dr. write the script for the blood work, have him do a fasting hemoglobin A1C. That's to test for diabetes. It sneaks up on a lot of people, other symptoms include frequent urination, dry mouth, frequent yeast infections, wounds and illness slow to heal.

Sorry to sound like a downer, but I'd feel terrible if you didn't check it out!

Feel better!

Beth

DDD

All the ideas are good. One thing to consider is making sure your are cardiac healthy. Evidently the symptoms for females with heart issues differ greatly from male symptoms. The primary symptom is tiredness. DDD

Wiped Out

Staff member
ML,
I so hear you about being tired. I'm always grabbing a nap whenever I can. In fact I said to husband today that I think we sleep too much. He doesn't think so, just thinks we need it more because of the energy the kids zap from us. I'm not so sure.

I think it is a good idea for you to have everything checked out. Even though you did menopause on the early side I wonder if that could still be a contributing factor. I know I've been wondering about it lately. I went through an early menopause (age 21) and have been on HRT ever since. I've been thinking about checking into the bioidentical stuff myself.